SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_746873936

Low Appraisal Advice and our dilemma

Mike Gore
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm currently selling a home in Michigan's metro Detroit area. We put the house on the market for $425K and received an offer for $430K the same day (adjusted to $426K after inspection). The market is pretty good these days. We waited 2 days for showings and had about 8 showings during the weekday then we accepted and never waited for the weekend, we had no more offers. The appraisal just came in at $406K - our home has a ton of updates and I think the appraiser somewhat took that into account but didn't make it to 426. We tried to negotiate with the buyer to meet us in the middle but they wouldn't budge at all.

We are in a good market but it's not California. Has anyone ever paid over appraised value in other markets? I think we'll end up in the same situation with the next buyer unless we get a cash offer which is probably unlikely.
My dilemma is to re-list and hope that we get a good offer AND they are willing to pay over appraised value (assuming next appraisal will be about the same) or eat the difference and go with the current buyer. We are not in a hurry but I also don't want to wait 6 months until spring and possibly settle for the same money or less.

Thanks

Comments (37)