SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_840978767

Which wood baluster style and really stuck on newel.

Lilly Phillip
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! I laid out a few years worth of pins now into a slide show and still stuck! Q is: what would you do for balusters and a newel? Theme is soft and timeless.

Deep 12" treads; = 3 balusters per tread since we would like it to breath - I looked at all my 1 1/4" options - not much, even with custom, not so sure. I had to sigh away some of my best loves, because it just feels so busy and so cluttered compact with pretty turns and also, everyone I loved had a townhouse/NY vibe with a big newel at the bottom and more steps. The newel will stop at the landing. The first two steps open to "bench style" for our large family of 6. Right now I am feeling red oak tapered round simple balusters. Staircase will always be wood for us. I thought red oak stairs because the railing and balusters are simple to order and match. We also have a red oak floor. House design is "soft" traditional with a lot of decor being holiday and family life.

I am looking for gut creativity here and all that you are seeing in direction. I feel so close but it doesn't sing so confidently yet, especially at newel with an over the post round cap at the end. I posted a few pics of house style. You see this stair all from the DR/open to entry with peaking small side walls dividing the space. Main reason is layout was determined by farm needs, lighting at times and views are rural plenty in each room. DR views pretty courtyard front garden anyway. I'll post our pics and then reply with ideas I found. (Maple coat "closet" cabinet on left is missing the middle door for coats and we hung uppers just today.)

Comments (7)