How to get rid of bubbles

agmss15

when I use a food processor to grind stuff up... Is there a trick?

I ground up fresh hot peppers with salt and vinegar last night. Instead of bright red sambal oelek I ended up with pinky orange foam. Hot spicy salty sour froth but froth nonetheless. It was one of the 3-4 times a year I wish for a larger mortar and pestle.

Not a particularly serious problem but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Foam=aeration, which, if you think of eggwhites, comes from whipping fast. Try pulsing the FP, waiting for the food to stop moving before pulsing again. Only hold down the button for a moment each time until it's pretty liquid. Then maybe a full second or two, at a time. Long enough to smooth it out, but not enough to whip in air.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Reminds me of trying to make a vegetable soup in my Vitamix. The commercials talked about heating up soups with friction; it worked but what resulted was not appetizing.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

"----Not a particularly serious problem but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion.---"

There are three methods to de-foam a liquid:

1. Let the liquid sit for a while. If the liquid is thick, this may take forever.

2. Heat up the liquid. Heat expands the air bubbles and makes the bubbles more buoyant. But you may not want to cook the liquid.

3. Draw a vacuum. This will make almost all the bubbles quickly float to the top and burst. Some Foodsaver type sealing machines has an attachment for you to draw a vacuum.

dcarch

1 Like Save    
agmss15

Thanks all. I let it sit overnight. It still bubbly but not so much. And not pink anymore.

Save    
foodonastump

Dcarch’s option 3 has me wishing I had the mason jar attachment. Not the first time I’ve wanted that. I don’t recall if that’s what Lars was saying can’t be found anymore but I’ll look.

1 Like Save    
lindac92

Hmmm I find that the Cuisinart doesn't whip air into stuff...at least not as much as a mixer.
I wonder if a stick blender would have done better?

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

A stick blnder might work well if completely submerged. If it's on the surface, that's when you are incorporating more air into the liquid. With a FP, I'd pulse it, not just turn it on.

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

There is really no way to avoid bubbles.

Any rotating liquid will produce vortex, or Magnus effect, whierpool, maelstroms, etc. to suck in air.

dcarch

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

You know, science is very sexy.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

agmss, I use my old salad shooter instead, no foam, but you have to want a certain consistency or it won't work. I've also found that my old hand grinder, the metal one I hook to the table and turn the handle, works well for certain textures. Grandma used to use mine to grind ring bologna and sweet pickles for sandwich spread, but now I use it for grinding the peppers for hot mustard and use the Salad Shooter for shredding the cucumbers for sweet relish. I chop salsa by hand.

I don't feel that the food processor does a particularly good job on any of the above applications, and neither does the Vitamix, so I've reverted to my "low tech" options, LOL

Annie

1 Like Save    
agmss15

My mom, sister and I just had a visit from a cousin (and his family) who recently lost his mom today. We were reminiscing about various childhood moments. So your grinder story reminds me we shanghaied his mom’s grinder to make play dough. I think now as an adult it must have been a job to get all the dried blue ‘dough’ out of it.

I will have to keep an eye out for a grinder.

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/play-dough-recipe/

Save    
wednesday morning

That same foaming action can ruin some things.

I love sweet potato pie but have learned not to put that puree in the processor. It will create a foam of some sort that renders the puree to not look very nice. It is best to just do it by hand to avoid those air bubbles.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Try just pulsing next time. Quick pulse, wait two-3 seconds, pulse, repeat. That tends to whip the air out after a dozen times. Same with a blender.

I make blender veg juices and picked up that trick somewhere. Mine is a Blendec that has a pulse button. Vitamix has a low speed that can be pulsed I think.

Because of that I do the same in the cuisinart. I've made a few hot sauces early fall and did not have an issue. One fermented, one roasted then blended, but the fresh blended for the freezer did not have a foaming issue.

A good link with short video from Vitamix, HERE

1 Like Save    
agmss15

In this case my pepper paste settled to a nice bright red....

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering 7 Household Items to Get Rid of Right Now
Kick-start your January decluttering by clearing out these things around the house
Full Story
Decorating Guides Lose It: How to Get Rid of Old Light Bulbs
When the light goes out, you'll want to get rid of the bulb safely. Here's how
Full Story
Decorating Guides Use It or Lose It: How to Get Rid of Old Keys
Clean out your junk drawer by getting rid of keys in an earth-friendly way
Full Story