Is it overkill to add cilantro at tail end of this butternut soup?

jally

Is it overkill to add cilantro at tail end of this butternut soup?

I.E. a frozen cube cilantro similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa-V1h9RrlY

Butternut Soup:

Sautee Large chopped onion & chop-celery

To the sautee: 1/4 tsp ginger, 2 tsp cumin & 2 tsp turmeric

Then:

...6 cups water

...3/4 tsp salt

...jumbo roasted/chopped butternut squash

...2 chopped potatoes

...cup coconut milk

...2 peeled carrots

........all that boiled 20 min., then pureed.

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bragu_DSM 5

pour two cups ... add cilantro to one. try both. your palate...

Save    
foodonastump

I’d definitely like the cilantro, less sure about the oil. Might depend on how concentrated the cube was.

Save    
jally

so even though there'd already be ginger/cumin/turmeric - it would not cause a weird taste to also add cilantro at the very end?

Or perhaps if i'd leave out the ginger, then the cilantro might be more compatible?

Or would it not make a difference?

Save    
lindac92

I would use chicken broth instead of water....omit the ginger, add the cilantro and also a small can of drained green chilis...or saute some poblano with the onion and celery.
I don't like a squash or pumpkin soup that tastes anything like pumpkin pie....I like the cumin, onion chili flavor profile.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by jally
jally

Thanks for the advice lindac92! You've decided me to leave out the ginger, though i'm not bothering with pepper, since i don't have any in the house. Besides, i've never used chili or poblano. I myself didn't like the idea of ginger too much due to its causing me after-effects, but because i recently bought a bottle (stupid me), i thought this might be a good way to try it out.

Save    
Islay Corbel

Do you like it? A recipe can only be good if you enjoy the results!

Save    
foodonastump

so even though there'd already be ginger/cumin/turmeric - it would not cause a weird taste to also add cilantro at the very end?

It doesn’t strike me as an odd combination but if you don’t think you’d like it then don’t do it.

Off to google what a “bottle” of ginger is. Extract?

Save    
agmss15

I find the ginger/cumin/turmeric/cilantro/coconut milk flavors a completely normal obviously Indian influenced combination. Besides the bright green in the orange soup would be pretty. That said I am a cilantro lover. My sister swears it tastes like soap.

I might thaw the cilantro cube and dribble a bit on at the last moment. Or mix it with a bit of yogurt.

Save    
suzyqtexas

I use sweet potatoes and add crisp bacon bits to the top no to the cilantro

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I would go ahead and give it a try since you have it. We don't care for it unless I roast the squash with lots of onion and garlic, then fresh ginger and turmeric in the blender. Yogurt, garlic, cilantro, lemon/lime, chili flake topping or drizzle. Bacon or prosciutto bacon I agree. Something a bit salty/savory to cut the sweet squash.

Save    
chloebud

I agree with Linda's comments. Would definitely use chicken stock vs water. I love cilantro so would just try it at the end.

Save    
Cloud Swift

ginger/cumin/tumeric/corriander garnished with cilantro at the end is common in many Indian recipes and they all taste fine together. Cilantro (or parsley for cilantro haters) adds a nice fresh note. A bit of chili would be nice in the soup too.

1 Like Save    
jally

Thanks again for the feedback! I already made the soup. I discovered some frozen green beans, so threw those in too. I didn't yet puree it, since i was waiting for it to cool.

I'm scared to add the ginger-powder at this point, because my constitution is very sensitive.

agmss, your sister may be a supertaster, to whom bitter things taste really bitter. I'm also a supertaster, but weirdly, not all things taste too bitter to me. For example, i love burnt chips, and burnt veggies. But if anything sweet gets burnt, i hate it. Most people aren't like me in that respect.

Furthermore, i have a theory which not one researcher i know of has ever researched. While its true that the topic of supertasters vs. non-tasters has been researched, yet i'm wondering - does anyone even analyze why some people love more extreme tasting foods?

I did - even though i lack research subjects to prove my theory. My theory is, that the degree of one's blood-sugar and/or fewer tastebuds is correlated with the degree of one's preference for spicy, pungent, salty, sour, rich foods.

Why? because higher blood-sugar also means you have sweet saliva. If your saliva is sweet, it stands to reason that balances out chocolate that's very bitter. It also compensates for food that's too salty, sour, spicy & pungent.

I'm different. I'm a supertaster, and my saliva is acidic. The acidity may be why my nerves are highly sensitized. I require gabapentin to calm my nerves. Otherwise, my nerves fire up my blood causing my mucus to be too thin, and i get nasal drip..

Most people are not like this, so they haven't a clue what its like. For me (due to acidic system) eating citrus is like eating an explosive. Eating salty food & bitter chocolate causes me UTI, headaches and tongue sores. Eating extreme spices is like rubbing spice on one's open wound. After all, my neuro conditions are like an internal open wound. For me, a high-lysine low arginine diet is calming.

Save    
caflowerluver

Are you making it just for yourself? I would leave it out if serving it to others. My DH is allergic to cilantro. He breaks out in a nasty rash all over. He is very sensitive to a lot of leaves, like rhubarb leaves (though he can eat the stalks), oleander leaves and of course poison oak and ivy. He ended up in the ER when he got a bad case of poison oak.

Save    
jally

For myself. The soup actually came out bland. I'd have preferred it tastier, but not too spicy. Next time i might add some minced garlic to fry alongside the onions. That might enhance it. Every so often I look at the Mrs.Dash jars in the store, but scared they might disagree with me. I wish i knew which Mrs.Dash is "tastefully tasty" rather than hot.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Don’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
Remodeling Guides You Won't Believe What These Homeowners Found in Their Walls
From the banal to the downright bizarre, these uncovered artifacts may get you wondering what may be hidden in your own home
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More