SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neenahcrest

Replaced original wood windows with vinyl and still cold. Why?

New York 7a
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Moved a conversation from another thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6009093/help-okna-600-series-vs-anderson-400-woodwright#26149499

I recently replaced all of my 80 year old brick house's original windows with a vinyl windows and feels like our house is colder than before. Given the window brand's great reputation everywhere what's happening to our house is baffling. Am I missing something?

We are located in North East region. Lots of wind and snow, winter is 5 month long. The original wood double hung windows were in a good condition given it was 80 years old — not rotted, had no chipped paint on the inside. Storm windows were screwed on permanently on 10 out of 5 of them.

The house is warm on the day when there's no wind: 52F outside, 70F inside with no heat. On windy days 58F outside temp translates to 63F indoor temp. Unfortunately wind blows hard all year round in this area.

The window spec is foam filled, 3/4" insulated glass, low-E high performance glass with argon gas with grids. U-Factor 0.25, SHGC 0.26, Visible Transmittance 0.47, Air Leakage <0.3

There's also a suspicion that the installation was bad maybe? The first install was done in haste, then revealed multiple issues later (like cladding was not carried out to the edge of the window frame, leaving up to 0.5" gap, or at the bottom they were caulked shut) which brought the contractor back to re-clad/recaulk over all windows.

Comments (19)