SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkerri

Which color white paint for the cabinets?

tkerri
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So I’ve decided to paint my kitchen cabinets before changing out our floors. We want a more white look without it being too white. Our current cabinet color is an antique white and it has a lot of yellow undertones which we don’t care for. Any suggestions for sherwin williams white paint that would go with our current countertops. Our house does have a lot of cream and brown tones. Thanks!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

First change your lighting to all LED 4000K before choosing any colors at all. I am not sure what you want for color since the counter is going to drive the color choices IMO. I think choosing a pale gray from the counter is going to be best but that lighting needs to be right first. What are you planning for the flooring that will have big effect on color too. The more info we get the better. Just to mention what I see of your cabinets they are a very dated look now since most base cabinets function so much better as drawers . I don’y know your budget but maybe just wait before doing the floors and come back here with the plan as it is to get some ideas of making the space better. Having cabinets painted is a big expense and IMO not a good idea for DIY unless you have painted many cabinets before and have a place to spray paint for all doors and drawer fronts.

• crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

You don't need to gut your kitchen, lol, but daylight white lights will make a HUGE difference. Do that before making another decision.

• Related Discussions

Which primer for unfinished wood cabinets and white paint

Q

Comments (2)
    The primer will not yellow with age, only the finish coat, which is highly unlikely with an acrylic product. Znisser Cover Stain if your trying to do it for minimum dollar, and you open a window [smelly oil]. Or almost anyone's oil/acrylic enamel undercoater, with oil recommended.
    ...See More

Which white paint did you use for kitchen cabinets?

Q

Comments (17)
    I used BM Simply White. I had seen a kitchen with it, but I don't remember whose now. I love the color. My fan deck, however, does not resemble the color chip I got at the store, so I'm not sure if they changed the formula over the years?? Anyway, it is really pretty and fresh. I also did all my trim and ceilings this color. I am going to post some pictures of my finished kitchen soon.
    ...See More

Which white paint color?

Q

Comments (1)
    If you are looking for a pretty pure white, safe bets are SW 7005 Pure White or SW 7021 Simple White. Both have very low "chroma" .44 and .55 respectively. The closer you get to 0 the purer the light and color. Your ultimate artificial and natural lighting will affect the total impression. Use white cool LEDs at least 3500 or higher lumens. That should work well.
    ...See More

Which BM white paint color close to SW purewhite for Kitchen Cabinets?

Q

Comments (6)
    Once you get the color your painter can have it matched in the cabinet paint he uses. Get a sample panel painted and check it in your space. BM Cabinet Coat is one product. Target Coatings makes a product for painting cabinets. They can match any SW or BM color Here.
    ...See More
  • tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We’ll be doing vinyl flooring in a brown tone and getting the cabinets professionally painted. We have great daylight lighting on a dimmer setting so it’s adjustable. Here are other pics of our kitchen

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Bring home lots of paint chips, here are a few nice choices

tkerri thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    User
    3 years ago

There are actually 117 things that I look at when doing a custom color consult. Start with the existing home elements that will stay. Determine if they are cold or warm. For each item. You have warm bones. Cold whites will not be the right choice here with warm bones. They look stark, and blue or green in comparison. Especially under the typical blue green home lighting.

Here are some great warm white choices from past custom color consult clients. Contrast that with the cold colors, which would not be the best harmonizing choice in your situation. I would recommend joining the Kitchen Caninet Painting Experts group on Facebook so that you can view the process and materials that your pro should use. A professional has access to real cabinet coatings, and shouldn’t be using trim paint. Good luck!

You might also consider a light greige.

tkerri thanked User
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

Your countertops appear to have cream in them, rather than white. A white that is whiter than what you have, is not going to go well with them unfortunately. You may want to think this through a bit more.

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

I might be the crazy one here, but I'd actually paint the cabinets a darker color, swap out the hardware.. and as the post above said, I dont think the countertop has white, it seems more creamish

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We considered going darker with the cabinets but there’s not a lot of windows in that area and the kitchen is in the corner of the house. The counter top has white, cream light brown, and dark brown.

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m between these color options after doing some research

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Greek Villa can go pink on you so no on that. SW Alabaster is light with creamy tone. That is probably your best bet as far as I can see.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I used BM Cloud White color matched in PPG's Break Through paint on some cabinets that I built. I needed a warmish soft off-white. SW's Dover White was too yellow.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

These look so similar to what you already have and seem to have a yelow undertone you said your present cabinets have which you didn’t like. I’d buy a more creamy white and one of your 3 choices and paint the front of a cabinet. It’s a big decision and expensive with using pros.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Take a look at SW Natural Choice.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here you can see it is brighter.

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The center color is my current cabinet color. I don’t want it be too white and not too yellow as my current color. So I’m trying to find a white with a ting of cream. My painter said I can go with any brand so I’ll look at Benjamin Moore paint colors also.

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My painter likes sw Greek villa. Its white but it has a hint of cream. Here’s what it would look like in my kitchen. What do you all think?

• User
    3 years ago

With the right lighting, Black would be a stunning choice with that stone. Whites, even warm whites, are too light. The color that they are right now is pretty good, and there’s just not enough change achieved by any of the colors to spend the 7-9K on a new professional job.

• Sofia
    3 years ago

If you’re planning to replace the kitchen flooring anyway, I think I’d do that first. I’m seeing pink tones in the existing flooring that may be throwing off how the existing cabinet color is perceived.
    Another option would be to pick out new kitchen flooring then lay down samples next to the base cabinets to see how it all looks together.
    With new flooring, you may find that the current cabinet color is just fine. It does look nice with the countertop.

• crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

Your floor has a definite pinky color. I bet a dollar that once you change your floors out, you won't think the cabinets look so yellow. They seem yellow because of the contrast with the pink. I used to have pickled cabinets that looked so pink against the pale yellow I painted the walls. When we painted the walls a darker brown (it was the early 2000s, lol), the pink just receded and I didn't notice. Kind of same here but in reverse. I am no color expert, just know what I see.

Eta: I don't care for the Greek Villa with your counters - someone already said above it tends to go pink, I can see that already.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

You say you want white without being too bright?

I still think Greek is a little dingy.

I painted mine W/ Simply White. It's a warm neutral w/no hints of yellow, but it's not overly blinding either.

you can see how it compares here on the list

Oxford White is another nice white for millwork

• HU-161159613
    3 years ago

You can drive yourself crazy trying to pick a white. I've used Dover White and Alabaster and loved them. I think you'll be pleased with either of your choices. The Greek villa looked a little pink on your sample cards but looks great on your cabinet door. Good luck!

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is so hard. We were actually starting with floors. We looked for months at flooring and nothing worked with our cabinets/countertops. Everything looked muted and monotone bc we didn’t want dark wood toned flooring and everything seemed to blend together yellowish cream with no contrast. There was no pop. It’s was just a mash of brown tones. So that’s when I said I would paint the cabinet. It’s 3000 to have it professionally done. If I find the right color I don’t mind paying that amount. This is kind of the look I’m going for.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

If you like it w/your countertops, then go for it! It looks pretty good.

All your bulbs in the kitchen are 4000K, yes?

wait, only 3K to paint all of those?? yikes.

can you spell out each of the steps they're doing?

Ask them how they prime.

and will they be removing all the doors/drawers to take them back to the shop to spray?

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

The color white in your picture above, doesnt look as though it will go with your countertops at all. The color of the cabinets right now, look great with the countertops. I know you want white, but, you may end up changing a whole lot more than you want to, if you paint them white.

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yeah true. They are rated very well though and I’ve seen their work. They are a reputable cabinet painting company and they do all the necessary steps. It’s actually around $3500. Average quotes I got were btwn $3000-$4000 for cabinet painting in my area. I did receive one quote for $7000 and one for $2000. I eliminated those. Even if it’s $6000 its still cheaper than refacing or replacing them. Honestly my main focus right now is finding a color. I can always research a better company.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

tkerri, you said they do all the necessary steps.

I asked if you knew what their prepping steps were, and what they use. don't just say, "they prime the cabinets". I want to know (and you should too) HOW they prep and prime. ask them to be specific. do they sand, do the clean, to they prime and sand again, what products are they using,,etc

And, are they doing everything at your home? another red flag.

These should be taken back to their shop for spraying.

I know you're asking about a color, but honestly, the color won't matter much if it's peeling off in 3 months.

• tkerri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep they do all those steps. Clean, prep, sand, prime, spray. They take it their shop. They have a curing room. It’s a 10 day process. They don’t just use regular paint. They gave me a packet with all their information, steps done, warranty’s included, their liability insurance. Showed me samples of their work. Their specialty is cabinet painting and they’ve been around for a while. But yes it’s true. I should be educated and ask the questions. I’ve been researching this for a while so I’m trying my best to learn as much as I can. And I def don’t want to waste my money.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

great!! sounds like you have it all ready to go. that's a very good price for all your cabs. don't know where you live, but it would be double, at least, out in my area.

what kind of paint do they use? (not just the brand, the actual kind of paint

• RTHawk
    3 years ago

I agree with Sofia and crcollins - wait until you've changed your floor. The pink tiles may be making your current cabinet color look yellower. With new LED 4000K lights and a new floor, you may not need to repaint your cabinets.