SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Dessert Challenge from TV--What Would You Do?

plllog
3 years ago

SPOILER ALLERT--this pertains to this week's episode of Halloween Baking Championship

The challenge was to make a dessert using an unusual ingredient assigned at random. (The desserts were supposed to look like the devil and have a representation of flames, but that's immaterial to this discussion, unless you find it inspiring.)

The mystery ingredients were intriguing and I wasn't sure how I would have used them. I thought it would be a fun quiz for the group. (I'll add my own answer later.)

Each dessert had to have one of these:

• Tamarind Paste
  • Canned Tomato Soup (condensed)
  • Sauerkraut
  • Beets (red)
  • Spinach (fresh)
  • Parmesan Cheese (IIRC, pre-grated)

As a twist, each dessert had to add:

• Fresno chilis (have to be able to taste them).

---------------------------------------------

The contestants made: Pie, deep dish, with a tamarind & passion fruit custard filling topped with peaches sautéed with tamarind and Fresno chili and a sculpted top crust, molded chocolate tomato soup mousse with Fresno chili (and seeds) sablé cookie, sauerkraut toasted with sugar to become mock coconut inside a giant, chocolate and sweet chili marmalade filled macaron, beet microwave sponge cake with a tangerine (? IIRC) and chili glaze over a mousse layer (IIRC) with candied beets on the plate with other items, tart with a fried and sugared nut and chili crust with spinach gelée in the bottom and layers of a fruit cream and goat cheese cream topped with berries on top, pie with parm crisp flames and parm scattered over chili infused chocolate ganache filling (unsuccessfully). I hope I've reported these correctly, and apologize in advance for any errors.

How would you use these ingredients?

Comments (7)