SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_paulsen22

BIG stone fireplace and Wood on Wood on Wood - how to make it better?

Michelle
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello all!

Looking for some design advice - this is the living room/front entryway into a beautiful home with forest green shake siding and crisp white trim. The outside is earthy and modern, but I'm finding this room to be very.. well, yellow and brown. I've had too many apartments with this shade of "neutral yellow" and it just isn't my favorite. The flooring won't be changed, and I really do like the wood on the wall.

Given the shape and color of the stone fireplace, it can really take over the room. Would you (lightly) whitewash it? Whether or not we change the fireplace, what paint colors would help tie the room together? Admittedly this is the exact right color yellow but...

Would you paint the inside of the door to lessen the wood-on-wood situation? I will say it is a beautiful door with a yellow glass window that swings open to reveal an iron grate, and I might offend a true door aficionado by even suggesting such a thing.

Please use your imagination with furniture - looks like only the cats have had the chance to move in :)

Thank you!

Updated to add: exterior of house and the couch that (is huge and also brown) but will just fit between the white bedroom door and the front door.

Comments (9)