SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cspitz87

Two story family room... I screwed up...

Casey Spitz
3 years ago

Hi Houzz community- We have a 90's suburban home and have been slowing pulling the 90's out of the house room by room. This was the first room I furnished and I'm not loving my selections... My kids are 5, 5, and 2 (my daughter is wearing a yoshi hat in the pics :D :D :D) and the room doesn't feel playful or colorful at all.

Things I love: the natural light, the tall ceilings

Things I can't change: the wall unit was a beast to move in and it's the perfect scale so it's not going anywhere, but I know it needs some styling help. Thinking of adding grasscloth wallpaper to the back of the unit to lighten it up.

Things I want to change: the rug and the sectional. Rug feels too formal! Fireplace will go through a major overhaul in the next few years. And the wall above the wall unit feels so bare and lonely.

We love our little reading corner but I would like to put a larger chair. Would like to have a long sofa facing the television, blue chairs in front of wall unit, and large chair or chair and a half for reading with all three kids in the corner by the bookshelf. The TV is on a mantle mount system that pulls down for perfect viewing height- would highly recommend for anyone looking to put their TV above a fireplace.

There are so many beautiful homes on Houzz with two story fireplaces and vaulted ceilings but they are all magazine perfect and I'm really looking for help making a fun happy room for my kids to grow in. Changing tables and toy buckets will be in my future for a while :)

Comments (34)