SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cagemichaels

Best downdraft for 48" 6 burner Wolf gas rangetop (or other solution)

Cage Michaels
3 years ago

Hi Houzz people,

Am looking for some fresh feedback before locking in our final kitchen appliance order. The last nagging item is deciding on the cooktop and ventilation to utilize.

Our kitchen layout places the cooktop on an island (we hate facing the wall when cooking - really want to be able to cook and look out to the living room/dining room, etc), and we have a high vaulted ceiling in the kitchen which makes utilizing an island vent hood impossible/ugly. Here's a render to give some perspective (note: in this render there's closed pocket doors concealing where the sink and additional counter space will be, opposite to island):

Our First/Desired Option: Before realizing a downdraft could prove problematic and not provide enough ventilation for a powerful gas range, we spec'd out for the installation of a Wolf SRT486C 6 Burner Rangetop w/ Charbroiler. I initially thought we could pair that with Wolf's 45" downdraft, but that's not actually compatible (Wolf doesn't make a downdraft compatible with the Rangetop and recommends a hood vent). Our appliance guy suggested a 48" Best Cattura as a great downdraft alternative that should hopefully prove adequate for that Wolf. It's clearly not as ideal as a hood vent, but assuming it works well enough then think it would still be a trade off we'd go for to maintain the clean look and have a quality gas rangetop. Reading through reviews of the Best Cattura downdraft on Houzz and elsewhere, it *seems* to be a really solid downdraft but also hard to figure out if it's actually best of the downdrafts or if there are some even better ones out there. Also can't find examples of someone pairing it the same way we intend to. And so many of the reviews are old, so hard to tell the current status of best downdrafts available.

First Questions:

1. Has anybody used the 48" Best Cattura downdraft with a gas range? Does it work as well as advertised?

2. Is there an even better downdraft model/design out there that would stand up to the 48" Wolf rangetop?

3. Would you give the nod that this setup should work adequately (understanding it's not ideal and a hood vent would be better)?

Best Alternative Solution(s): While I'd really like to go with our desired option above (assuming it works well enough overall), I have read enough articles now that say "putting a gas cooktop on an island with downdraft ventilation as the single worst mistake you can make in a kitchen design" that I'm sufficiently scared and looking for other cooktop alternatives. I think we're committed to the location on the island for the cooktop, which means we're still committed to utilizing a downdraft.

We're mainly going with Wolf/SubZero appliances in the kitchen, so keeping it in the brand family came up with these two solutions that utilize no/less gas so would hopefully make the work a little bit easier on the downdraft:

1) 36" Induction + Electric Grill

2) Modular Solution with Induction / Gas / Electric Grill:

Beyond those options, that would move us out of Wolf for cooking, which I would be ok at looking into as well if it enables us to go with that pro gas rangetop vibe with sufficient ventilation.

I guess I'm really hoping enough people say go with Plan A that we just do it (what's the worst that can happen?! lol), but if it's a horrible idea then hoping the community here can point me to a best alternative solution.

Also, where we live now our cooktop is electric, so it's going to be a new cooking experience whether we go gas or induction. Realize there are some pros/cons to each. Not looking forward to cleaning up the gas (induction seems nice and easy to wipe off), but also love a nice controlled flame. Any advice on gas vs. induction also appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Comments (19)