If you won the lottery

sal 60 Hanzlik

what would you spend it on? For yourself only.

I would get someone to clean my house.

SaveComment58Like1
Comments (58)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moosemac

DH and I just had this conversation Sunday. I would:

Buy a 63' used yacht I have had my eye on

Buy gorgeous lake front home I saw on the internet

Go to a spa aka "fat camp" for at least a month

3 Likes Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I would strongly consider moving to a better year round climate - even perhaps overseas to experience another culture and language.

If not that, find another house locally of a style and charm that I like better (my current one is fine but not a "dream" house), away from the RR and nearby airport's flight path, with a larger yard for my garden experiments.

And, if not that, I would make several alterations on my house - redo the bath and basement, build a screened porch, re-do some of the insurance-paid repairs, figure out how to tighten up the envelope of the FR addition.

Take a long vacation to attend the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia in person, then tour around Europe for a while.

I like the fitness spa idea, not to lose much weight but to regain fitness and motivation that I've lost in the past year.

Save    
amylou321

I would pay off my house and do some remodeling to it.

Or build a new one on more land.

I would get a new car.

Then who knows?!?!?!?

Save    
Sammy

I could really use a jet.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

Wouldn't spend it on myself only, have family, and a beautiful grand baby that should have a college/trust fund. I know too many people in dire circumstances, it would make me feel good to help others.

But: breakfast flown in from Zabar's. With the New York Times. Just like when I was a kid. Maybe a fund to help me when I am very old and needed help with the basics.

I am by no means affluent, but I am in general happy. I don't know that more $$ to spend on me would make me any happier.

3 Likes Save    
Judy Good

Depends how much but we would have two homesteads, 1 in the UP of Michigan and 1 in our home town by the kids. We are planning on doing this anyway but they would be nicer homes. Buy a brand new car and truck. Of course give some to our kids.

1 Like Save    
jewelisfabulous

I would direct the money to two primary goals: a medical charity that provides surgery and therapeutics needed to relieve suffering (like Mercy Ships or Doctors Without Borders) and I'd create a charity that addresses "gap" needs that aren't addressed through social services or other existing charities -- for example, buying new car tires for the working poor before winter or paying the costs associated with internships (housing, food, transportation) for poor college students who would otherwise have to forego the experience.

4 Likes Save    
Marilyn_Sue

Well, it depends on how big the lottery is! First of all you can only gift $14,000 a year to your loved ones with out paying taxes, so that sort of limits that per year. I would have a lot of fixing up done, yard and home. Hire a lot of help and have a lot of family reunions and such. I would donate to my cemetery, my church and some other places.

Sue

3 Likes Save    
nicole___

OP stated "for yourself" only purchases.

We also discussed this. Sell our rental properties......immediately. ☺ Retire.

2 Likes Save    
Rusty

It would be a moot point with me, as I surely would have a fatal heart attack immediately upon hearing the news.

Rusty

20 Likes Save    
sushipup1

I'd sign the ticket and have my son sign it, too. Split in two from the beginning, so I'd never have to figure how to spend for him and his family. And they wouldn't be waiting for me to pass on what I have left.

Save    
marilyn_c

I would build a small house and do some much needed upkeep on my barn. I would rescue more senior horses from kill pens and set up a foundation of some sort so my property would go for the horses. These are things I plan to do anyway, including leaving this place to someone who can provide a sanctuary to the horses. That is the hardest part....I have known of some sanctuaries and rescues who were anything but.

8 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

At my age, there is very little I need or want personally. I would probably buy a piece of property out in the country and establish some sort of animal rescue center. And get my daughter involved as well, as this is also a passion of hers.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I can't think of anything I need or want and I am grateful to be in that place. I have a lakefront home and boats etc. If I HAD to spend it on myself ( depending on the amount ) I might invest it as a challenge and see how well I could grow it and then will it all to my kids.

BTW When you buy that jet, remember it costs about $1 mil a year to keep it in the air. Win big!

Save    
Lars

I would trade in our house in Cathedral City for a bigger house with MCM architecture in Palm Springs. We plan to do this when Kevin retires and we sell the house in Los Angeles, but that's 10 to 12 years from now.

I would also like to buy an Alfa Romeo sedan. Kevin would rather have a Tesla. The problem with buying an expensive car is the depreciation, and so I would want the next car I buy to be my last one.

2 Likes Save    
KennsWoods

It would depend on the size of the winnings. Less than $1m after taxes all would go into securities of some sort. Well over that amount I'd be tempted to move to a truly tropical climate to live out my days. The problem with that scenario is I would be alone. If it was a really breath-taking amount, probably charitable trust(s) administered by my two sons if they so desired. Interestingly, my youngest son and I have talked on this subject, as a fairy tale of course.

Save    
lily316

I would start an animal sanctuary as Jon Stewart and his wife have done or donate big to Best Friends animal sanctuary. I would donate to funds to capture or kill poachers who are killing all the majestic animals in Africa,

7 Likes Save    
stacey_mb

Recently someone here in Canada won $70 million. When I hear news like that I think that the best thing that could happen to us is winning a lottery like that, and the worst thing that could happen to us would be winning this lottery. Life would change too much with so much $ and I like my life as it is now.

5 Likes Save    
aok27502

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Yeah, I'd need to win mega millions to get what I really want which is a lot in Manalapan FL...they go for about $10 mil. Then I'd put up a double wide...that way, when the hurricane comes and blows the house away, I can just add another. It's the location I'm after...don't need one of the marble mansions they typically build there.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1040-S-Ocean-Blvd-Lantana-FL-33462/46839005_zpid/

2 Likes Save    
dedtired

I’d buy the houses of all my annoying neighbors and get them out of here. I’d demolish the ones close to me and turn the others into rentals. Tenants would have to pass stringent tests.

id hire the finest interior designers and have my house just perfect. Then I’d sell it and move somewhere else. On second thought maybe I’d buy a couple vacation homes.

Dream on! In truth, there is very little I need or want that I couldn’t go out and get.

2 Likes Save    
aok27502

I honestly don't know, if it's just for me. We're pretty well set. If it was enough, I'd fund some college funds and help out with a struggling mortgage. Otherwise, it would go into the travel fund. Or DH would spend it. He could think of something.🙄

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I'd buy something on one floor. I currently live on the top floor of a triplex, so up 3 flights of stairs. A condo would be just fine. I don't need a house with all the maintenance required.

Donate to a select few charities that are near and dear to me.

I'd do something to help unwanted animals.....a sanctuary. Oh, and a horse.

Buy a Genesis or an Audi. I don't want a boat, TV, plane etc.

Help family and a few select friends, both in real life and online.

7 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Depending on the amount I would either keep it for myself or divide it keeping half and have two long time friends sign so that they each received a quarter. If the amount was large enough I would purchase a small house to live in while this one was repaired and upgraded. Then if the virus and health permitted I would go traveling. No more economy seating for a while. If really large enough I would gift each of my step children and my niece a million or so paying the needed taxes myself. They can fight over what is left when I die although my will calls for 1/3rd split. Since the largest amount ever won was $60 dollars years ago I think it is better to think of winning rather than the problems that come with the winning.

2 Likes Save    
bpath

It's time for us to be thinking about a new vehicle. We were so happy with our lease-return we bought last time (Lars, it had already depreciated!) so we would probably do the same, it's a good value, but use the lottery money to spring for one with more features. After driving my dad's car a bit with its heated seats, I'd definitely go for that!

Save    
katlan

Like others have said, depends on how much. I would buy lots of land in different parts of the country. I mean large tracts of land, so major privacy. Build multiple homes on each completely furnished and with transportation. Then we and our kids can live at any of them anytime we want and everyone still has their own space.

Save    
cooper8828

I hate driving, so I would never drive again. I wonder how much it costs to hire a full-time driver.

2 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I would give it to my children. I really don't need anything

Save    
morz8

I buy a Hit 5 ticket 3xweek ;0) No lotto tickets ever.

But even with that smaller amount, I would put away a couple of years expenses for my mother whose resources are limited.

I have two more people in my life who could use a bit of a financial boost and would gift them with some money.

I would buy the diamond earrings I've had my eye on. I could now but it just doesn't seem practical and I'm practical.

Roofing time may be coming up in a couple of years and this is one long expanse of roof. It's cedar.

There's nothing wrong with my car, no marks or wear inside or out but it's 12+ years old now! I might treat myself to new that I've already been considering and just haven't invested the time to shop. BPath, heated seats and sirius radio are deal breakers for me after this one, I won't be without those. DH's last truck also has cooled seats. I thought that was the height of dumb. Until a couple of trips to see my Mom where the temp was approaching 100F that day and a chilled bottom and back felt very good.

Maybe a gift to our food bank or the program that supplies clothing and school supplies to foster kids....lots of less fortunate taking a hit this last year.

ETA: I just noticed that part that said for yourself only. But, anything I mentioned above would benefit me, my peace of mind and overall health. I can have a way of worrying about things I can't control....

1 Like Save    
Ont_Gal

Easy for me.....buy enough acreage to house more animal rescues than I do now.

Definitely buy a couple other well kept homes to travel to when the mosquito & blackfly bugs get so bad here-(May-August) and of course for the winter months as well...that pretty much would have me away from here too long for raccoon seasons :)....would have to really think this one out.

a canoe-just so I could travel thru the low areas here to watch the herons and egrets.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

The only thing I want, really, is a house with an indoor pool. Weather isn't good enough here year round to warrant an outdoor pool. So I guess it would involve buying a new home. And hiring a pool boy :-)

4 Likes Save    
pudgeder

Retire.

2 Likes Save    
sealavender

Aside from any charitable giving, for myself, I would complete some house projects:

- remodel both bathrooms

- new flooring throughout

- replace remaining original windows

- a landscaping project

And then I'd travel, when that's possible again.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Like many of us, I'm actually happy with what I have -- what a blessing. But if we're dreaming, and the amount is large enough and the family and charities are taken care of, then I'd buy land. Large acreages with an eye to preserving space for "mother nature."

2 Likes Save    
jupidupi

I recommend reading Money for Nothing by Edward Ugel. Many lottery winners end up a lot worse off than before.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

I’d pay off the house, get all the projects I’ve wanted to do done and I’d retire.

3 Likes Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I'd build my little dream cottage in the orchard just the way I want it, finish a few house projects, hire help to take care of some yard work I can't do anymore (comfortably), sit back and feel secure for the rest of my life. Hopefully my mindset wouldn't change and I'd blow it on "stuff" I don't need.

2 Likes Save    
sprtphntc7a

by a MCM home in Big Sur, CA overlooking the Pacific, my ultimate dream!!!

a log cabin in Maine

a home here, in PA, but with land and no neighbors... outside the city but close, since we love going into the city.

travel the country by an Airstream for a couple of months at a time with our dog :)

european travel

donate $$ and time to animal shelters

invest half for when we are old and can't do anything

DH would want a boat, so a house in FL....

3 Likes Save    
amicus

I would keep our house in Canada, where we'd still live during the Spring and Fall and first week of Winter, leaving just after Christmas. Then we'd live in the home we would buy in French Polynesia, during the rest of the Winter. It would be a 'home base' during the colder months in Canada, that would enable visits to New Zealand or Hawaii in less than 6 hours. From Toronto, it takes almost 18 hours to get to New Zealand, so living in Tahiti or Bora Bora in the winter would sure cut down on flight time, lol.

For the summer, we'd move to the home we would buy on the west coast of Ireland, which we love, and it never gets the hot humid summers we get here. Also, if any in our family wanted to travel throughout Europe in the summer, they could use our house in Ireland as a home base to rest, between destinations. Now we just have to win the lottery!

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Don't forget the his and hers matching Bugatti's. $2 mil each...

( Honestly, if I had all the money in the world I would not want one...LOL )

1 Like Save    
beesneeds

How big of a lottery? After paying the taxes, I would retain a couple of finance and estate attorneys/handlers. Sink half into savings/investments. There's a small business or two I might think about helping out. Set up a trust to handle various philanthropy, a couple more for the kids, probably a couple other family members. Yes, I know the OP is "for me", but I would have to have all that set up first before I could really get into doing stuff just because it's me time..

Get stuff fixed on the house with some additional me indulgences. Pay someone(s) to help do the extra property projects we would like to do. Get some yard/farm equipment that would make some chores around here much easier. Lottery would get the back cleaned up and dressed real quick, so chickens the following spring, and probably a couple beehives too :)

Likely would travel a little bit- I would like to eat a few destinations. And visit some gardens..

Take the time/money to get some really good foot action. I've got foot problems, so would go for full on spa and foot massage, to properly fitted for and whatever shoes and slippers I want on the regular. Kick in some chiropractor and massage therapy too.

Indulge in just not worrying about fiscal things for a while. Not having to spend, and not having to count change.

1 Like Save    
abbisgram

I might buy some property and have 2 homes built, one for me and one for my son and his family. Not too close together though! I would like to ensure my grandchildren have a solid future and I would travel with them. I might consider a property in a warmer climate just for winter and become a snowbird. I have family I would help out, that would make me happy.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

For myself only? That is hard as it depends on how much. We really don’t need anything, but I could spend some on vacations, some changes to our house, perhaps a vacation home in the mountains we could make a base for places we like to visit out west. Our kids and grandkids would benefit too somehow.

I would really like to use some of it for a new building for the crew where DH and I volunteer. It is badly needed but not in the cards by the organization we support.

Save    
tvq1

We have everything we need, but maybe not everything we WANT! I'd definitely share with our son and DIL. If it was a really big one--I'd buy an apartment in Paris, my favorite city.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Pay off my house and fix it up. Buy a new car. Retire. Travel when all this mess is over with. Buy a bed & breakfast/restaurant in a touristy place and help run it with my daughter. Would have to be someplace I can have a garden plot. Maybe in a different country?

Save    
dedtired

Thought of another. I would definitely fly first class every time I travel, presuming we ever can travel again.

Save    
aok27502

Elizabeth, do you know if that Bugatti can be fitted with a bike rack? My DH's would definitely need a trailer hitch. 🤪

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

I would buy a new car, do some remodeling at the house, pay off some loans. For a splurge, I think I'd like to buy a small RV and do some traveling. I'm not an extravagant person. I remember my wealthy uncle always said to never buy expensive cars because then people will know you are rich and try to sue you for your money or take advantage of you for your money. He just would never flaunt the money he had.

2 Likes Save    
bpath

Dedtired, flying first class is a good one! If it was a big enough win, I would definitely use the excess money for that, or at least business class, especially for long flights.

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

would by an island and build ...

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Yes, I like the first class idea! or business class at the very least - my last long overseas flight with the discount fare could have been much more comfortable, and used to be.

If we are talking not "just for me": I always thought that if I won a very huge pot of money, I would use it to go into a neighborhood that was once lovely (or even well-to-do a century or 2 ago) but has deteriorated, rehab the houses, and rent at reasonable/affordable prices -both to provide affordable housing, and to preserve the vintage architecture that is so often lovely but tends to be torn down from neglect.

1 Like Save    
liira55

I always said if I won the lottery, I would move to the French Rivera and marry someone twice as rich as me.*LOL*

A young couple here in Edmonton, just won 7 million in a 50/50 draw. I worked with the girl and know her family very well. My friend works with the husband. When he went back to work to give his notice, she asked him how it felt to be a millionaire and he said it hadn’t sunk in yet. He bought himself a $130,000 Ford F550, bought his wife a $80,000 SUV and they bought an acreage. When we were at a wedding last summer, he was telling me that their youngest daughters life ambition was to work at Subway, now he can buy her a franchise.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

I couldn't win it - never buy tickets.

Was a financial planner for a while, try to use money wisely.

The lotteries managers' house always wins: yes, a small percentage of the handle - but the house always wins!

ole joyful

P.S, Canadian lottery winners get the whole amount: no tax on it.

o j

Save    
Ninapearl

@Jasdip OMG!! i would give away everything i have, build a huge addition onto your house and move in with YOU!! could i bring my great danes, pretty please? :D

Save    
chisue

I'd know it was a fraud. We never buy lottery tickets!

Save    
artemis_ma

Get more landscaping done. Put up the barn for the sheep, goats and alpaca, and get the fencing in place.

I'd also try to take a vacation visiting places I've always wanted to visit (pandemic permitting). But if we are dreaming: I want to visit New Zealand, Viet-nam, South Korea, Japan, and the Orkney Islands of Scotland. Also some Greek islands. In this country, I'd travel to Idaho, South Dakota, Alaska, Montana, Arkansas (the last simply to see my cousin I haven't seen since we were both 15.) I'd take more time in Maine and Rhode Island.

Yes, I'd hire someone to watch my poultry while I am gone. The four legged livestock would happen after I get back.

Save    
jemdandy

Much depends on how large the winnings. I do have places to spend it. First, I'd set up a fund for my granddaughter's education; Second, I'd give out some financial help to my 3 adult children; and third, I'd attend to my wife and my needs. We are financial secure at the moment, but more is welcome. Maybe we'd spend on a future care policy, consider moving to a new location or changing from our 2 story house to a single story, and increase my investment portfolio. After this coronavirus pandemic is throttled, we might take that Alaska cruise that my wife wanted a few years ago.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Houzz TV: You Won’t Believe Everything This Tiny Loft Can Do
Looking for more floor space, a San Francisco couple hires architects to design a unit that includes beds, storage and workspace
Full Story
Tastemakers A 'Parks and Recreation' Star Comes Out of the Woodwork
Before Tinseltown called, he was a craftsman. Now Nick Offerman has turned his Los Angeles woodshop into a collective
Full Story
Holidays 6 Holiday Gifts From the Garden
Your garden holds an abundance of gift ideas for your nature-loving friends — wreaths, bee houses, framed photos and more
Full Story
T.J. Gilbride Architects, Inc. is a full-service architectural design firm specializing in high quality custom... Read More