SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Companion shrubs for a large butterfly bush, zone 7A, part sun

I'm in zone 7A, so winters occasionally get below freezing. We usually have our first frost in late October or early November, and the last frost in May.

The area I'm working with is on the low end of part sun; shade in the mornings and evenings, then full blast for about 5 hours during the day. It's at the end of my property, so no sprinklers and it's 1/4 mile to haul water in jugs. It's also not enclosed, so I have to deal with deer, rabbits, squirrels, and the neighbors huuuuuuuge dogs that can't wait to roll around in whatever I do! LOL

The area is triangular in shape with about 40' edges, with a slight slope that ends in a sharp slope for the last 5 feet at the tip of the triangle. One edge faces the road and the other faces the driveway, so it's the first thing you see when you visit or drive by... but it's also the least attractive garden that I have!

About 12 years ago, I planted what I think is a Lavender Cascade Butterfly Bush in the middle of this triangle. I'm not positive on that, it came from Lowes and the label just said "butterfly bush". But after comparing pics online, it looks like a Lavender Cascade. It's at least 8' tall and 10' in diameter. But it's not thick and lush like the pics I've seen; mine has a lot of dead areas through the limbs that end with leaves and flowers, and it looks more V-shaped instead of round... sorta like a Tuscarora crape myrtle but without the trunk.

I'll get a pic tomorrow if I can, it's been raining and I haven't been able to get one :-(

Surrounding this bush, I've put calla lilies, irises, Lamb's ear, sedum, mondo grass, and Purple Heart setcreasea, but none of that really looks right. Obviously, the large leaves of the lilies and irises don't match the look of the butterfly bush at all, and the lamb's ear is drastically different. The setcreasea at least kinda matches in color, but it needs full sun and really doesn't do well here.

Can you guys and gals suggest companion plants to underplant this bush?

I'm kind of thinking about taking all of that out (except maybe the mondo grass), and instead replace it with 6-8 low growing shrubs to encircle the butterfly bush. Something like a dwarf Fringe Flower bush? Then I could fill in the front with purple irises, setcreasea, and mondo grass, so I would have a whole purple-and-green cascade.

A big advantage to using shrubs is that I could cut my mulch usage in half :-O

Thoughts?

Comments (10)