SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_756511904

Help pls: Fan + lighting + vaulted ceiling

A R
3 years ago

I'm looking to appeal to the community for some advice on recessed lighting with a fan in an unusually-shaped bedroom.

Objective:

• Install ceiling fan in a bedroom along with recessed lighting

Challenges:

• Vaulted ceiling (~ 30°)
  • Concern about producing "strobe effect" (light intersects with fan's blades)
  • I've consulted 5-10 electricians and 2 lighting designers and have received very conflicting guidance

Proposed Materials:

• 4x 6" WAC Lotos (gimbal style), model # R6ERAR-W930-WT, 1320 lumens, 45° beam width
  • 54" Sola Kichler ceiling fan (fan is 11" tall), with 3' drop rod

Additional Info:

• Room layout (from top and sideways view) are included with dimensions. They're drawn roughly to scale (1' : 1")
  • Using measurements, drawings, trigonometry, and some algebra — my current best guess is that the recessed gimbal lights that are higher up on the vaulted ceiling should be roughly 0.92' from the wall and the lower lights should be 2.75' from the wall.

Questions:

1. Is it even possible to have a fan and recessed lighting in this room without a strobe effect?
  2. Are my measurements even remotely correct, or are the lower lights too close to the fan and the upper lights too close to the wall?
  3. Am I overlooking an easier technique (or software) to answer this question of lighting placement?

Comments (11)