Coquilles st. Jacques recipe

Louiseab Ibbotson

I am planning to make this for friends for Friday for the sake of time, I’d like to at least make the sauce on Thursday and finish Friday. I used to make it often, but haven’t done it in a while. Some of the recipes I’ve seen at least partially cook the scallops before the sauce goes over and then finished in the oven after the potato edge goes on. But some put the scallops in raw. This is one recipe I’m looking at. Do any of you have any tips?

here is the link:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235471/how-to-make-coquilles-saint-jacques/

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay Corbel

You could certainly make the sauce up to where you add the scallops in advance. It sounds delicious. I might add a drop of brandy!

They're just coming into season here. Another way I enjoy them is clean the scollops and the shells. Lightly fry the scallops and put them in the shells. Melt some blue cheese into creme fraiche and pour some over each shell and grill for a couple of minutes.

Another one I like is wrap each scollop in half a rasher of bacon, skewer and grill.

You can change the wine for different flavours. Pineau de Charente or Noilly Prat or dry sherry work well too.

Mashed potatoes can be piped round the edge of the (oven safe 😂😂😂) shell and grilled for a more substantial dish.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
Lars

I make a mushroom/wine sauce like that frequently, but I've not made it with scallops. I do like scallops but seldom buy them.

I really don't like tarragon, and I even used to grow it in my yard, thinking I would like it because it shows up in so many French seafood recipes. I use thyme instead, but that is my personal preference. I've tried to like tarragon, but I just can't. I suppose in tiny amounts, it would be okay. I'm the same way with nutmeg in sauces or spinach - I just don't like it and omit it especially when making spinach.

Save     Thanked by Louiseab Ibbotson
petalique

I grew French tarragon years ago and cooked a chicken dish using it. Unfortunately the flavor reminded me of the taste of envelope glue. Maybe I’ll give it another go someday.

I love CSJ.

Louiseab Ibbotson

I’m not a fan of tarragon either, so I use other herbs I may have.

Save    
lisaam

Sad to know of the tarragon haters here. I'm a tarragon lover. Adore adding the leaves to a green salad?

neely

Tarragon and chicken go together and taste like French food to me.

Lars

A lot of people do not like cilantro, but I use it a lot. I'm also not a fan of epazote, and I used to grow that also. I tastes like gasoline to me. To me, tarragon tastes a bit like epazote, but not as strong.

Otherwise, I cannot think of any other herbs that I especially dislike, although there are a few that I can do without.

seagrass_gw

I don't cook much with tarragon, it tastes like licorice to me (which I do not like). I also omit caraway in recipes that call for it and do not buy rye bread that has caraway seeds in it.

petalique

I love cilantro and cilantro roots — SE Asian, Mexican dishes and certain salads. I love basil, Thai basil, rosemary. I’ll give tarragon another try. I once had a delicious chateaubriand at Madison Robert in Back Bay Boston (years ago, it moved to Gov. Centre area, then closed). It was served with a delicious béarnaise sauce and we had fantastic red wine.

Louise, how did your dinner go?

Sherry

When I buy the lettuce mixes for my salad, sometimes there is one I cannot stand the taste. It isn't always there, because they change depending on availability. I know it is not spinach, because I love spinach.

Louiseab Ibbotson

Thanks everyone for your comments. Petalque, I’ll have to let you know. Busy weekend, the friends come Friday and then the family comes Sunday for Canadian thanksgiving. I’m barely sleeping with all the prep plans. Today, I have changed and laundered the tablecloths, set the table for Friday, made ice cream for the grands and did as much veg prep as I could. I know most people won’t do the veg ahead, it it gives me peace to get it done. They’re washed, trimmed and individually bagged with moist paper towel And back in the crisper. Bonus of that is that DH got called in to work today so I could do it my way. He always thinks he has a better way. And he’s such a neat freak, I was glad to get rid of all the mess of the veg trimmings. Tomorrow on to making the coquille sauce and getting a few other things done.

2 Likes Save    
lisaam

Sherry, maybe arugula is the green that you dislike. It's flavor is more distinctive than most others.

Sherry

I need to figure out what it is, because it ruins the entire salad. Most times they don't even say what is in the mix, just mixed greens.

Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

I love bearnaise sauce so just assumed I'd like tarragon. Have never tasted the herb itself, fresh or otherwise, so will need to give it a try.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
City Guides Travel Guide: Montreal for Design Lovers
Two insiders' picks for design-minded hotels, restaurants and much more in Canada's cultural capital
Full Story