SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Moroccan accent tile in master bath

smalloldhouse_gw
3 years ago

Hi, we're doing a big reno and a small addition to our small old house and I need to start ordering materials for 3 full bathrooms (two existing were gutted & a new master.) I need some help on the master (here's a previous post on the same subject.)

Thanks to @maddybeagle's suggestion on my earlier post, I found a beautiful 8x12 Moroccan ceramic tile that I want to use sparingly in the master. To keep things both simple and neat, the other colors in the bathroom will be black (floor & shower pan tile, faucets & shower system) and white (wall tile, tub deck, vanity counter.)

Specifically I'm trying to figure out: (1) how to use the accent tile, as a border or a mural? (2) how much pattern is too much pattern?

On the second question, I'm remembering the GW "only one clown in the circus" advice for kitchen renos and I'm afraid I'm inviting in too many clowns. I'm hoping to use 2" black travertine hex tiles for the shower pan and a black faux marble porcelain laid chevron style for the floor. Can I get away with all that? What about using white fish-scale or a modified lantern tile in white for the field tile on the shower walls and around the bathtub? Or should I stick to 4x12 subways since that would fit with the 8x12 accent tile?

Here's the accent tile (Beltile kindly sent me a chipped one for free!) and the layout - thanks for any advice!

Comments (24)