SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Help with tile/design for master bath remodel

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are remodeling our master bath and I need some help with my final tile/design choices. This is a tiny ensuite bath with a shower only, in a modest Victorian-era foursquare home. I want to use fixtures and tile that fit the general era of the home without being a slave to Victorian style - classic but updated, if that makes sense. I also find myself leaning toward fixtures with a slightly industrial edge. Here's the layout (100" ceilings; some measurements may change by an inch or two depending on what we find when we demo):

The shower will be tiled on the two larger walls and on the chimney; the remaining shower walls will be frameless glass. I plan to do a simple wood wainscot on the walls outside of the shower with paint above. Overall color scheme will be grey, white and probably pale green. The side of the brick chimney behind the vanity may remain exposed if the bricks are in good shape and we can find a way to protect them from moisture; we'll see when we demo. If they look like the rest of the brick in the house, they will look like this:

I am still on the hunt for the right vanity, but it will probably be Bertch's graphite color with a white porcelain top, in a door style similar to this one:

All fixtures, pulls, etc. will be chrome. I plan to use the Brizo Atavis line for faucet and shower. Still deciding on light fixtures but I pasted some top contenders below (pendants or sconces for above the vanity and one central light fixture).

Now for the fun part - TILE. I know running brick bond white subways are THE most typical Victorian-era tile/pattern of all time, but I have had them in my last two bathrooms and I'm kind of tired of them. I really love the patterned, encaustic-look tiles that are so trendy right now, but although they were also popular in the Victorian era I'm not sure I want to fall into the HGTV trap with this remodel. So, what's a girl to do? I had the following ideas:

Scheme 1: Super simple. Marble-look 2" hex on room floor and shower floor, white subways in a herringbone pattern on shower walls, grey grout. Could include an accent tile inside of shower niche (not sure where this will be yet nor how large).

Scheme 2: Gone crazy. Larger (8"?) white hex on room floor, smaller white or grey hex on shower floor, grey/white patterned tile on shower walls. This is my current favorite pattern:

Scheme 3: Somewhere in the middle. Marble-look 2" hex on room and shower floor, white subways in running brick bond pattern on long wall and chimney wall of shower, grey/white patterned tile on remaining wall as an accent wall. Here's my inspiration for that look:

So, what say you, wise designers of Houzz? I would love some input on how to make this little bathroom shine! Thank you very much in advance!

Comments (10)