Anova Precision Cooker sale

bbstx

The Anova Precision Cookers are on sale. I have the mid-priced one and I have been pleased with its performance. I probably use it 3 times a month, mostly to cook steaks.

SaveComment8Like1
Comments (8)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbeth-gardener

bbstx: I am interested in this for a gift for an adult son and actually for myself, but right now I'm too involved in other things to devote the time to learning about this style of cooking. Do you need other equipment to use the cooker, such as the cooking containers shown on the sale page? My son is very innovative, so if improvising works, he could figure out how. I just don't want to get him a cooker if a lot more is needed. I'm assuming you have the one that is on sale for $139. ?

Save     Thanked by bbstx
plllog

Lizbeth, you need to be able to either vacuum seal, or do the water displacement routine with a ziploc (not the kind with the slider, which doesn't seal fully). The immersion units are meant to use in any vessel you choose. I've used mine (from the original kickstarter campaign) in a saucepan, stockpot, 12-qt. roaster, 5-qt, plastic container, and rolling ice chest. Some people use an old cooler with a hole cut in the lid for it to limit evaporation. Others wrap a towel around the lid of what they're using and just offset it, tucking the towel around. Others just let it evaporate and add warm water as needed. It's very flexible.

bbstx

I pretty much do the same as plllog. I either use a 16 qt stock pot that I have or I use my little Igloo cube cooler. I can’t remember what I was cooking in the picture below. I think maybe pork chops. Whatever it was had a long cooking time and for some reason, I cooked it on the back porch. I covered the cooler with Press and Seal.

I usually do not cover the vessel because I rarely cook things for extended periods. However, I once cooked a chuck roast for 24 hours (pictured below). I believe I used my stock pot and covered it with Press and Seal, too. I got up once in the middle of the night to check on the water level, but there had been very little evaporation. The roast was tender enough that I could cut it with a fork using just a tiny bit of effort.

Here is a good article by Kenji Lopez-Alt on how to get started with sous vide cooking. He recommends using a Cambrio container but I think it is unnecessary and it appears that plllog does too. Simply Recipes has some good sous vide recipes.

I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer that predates my Anova, so I use that most often. However, I have used the water displacement technique when I wanted to be able to check on what I was cooking.

ETA: Yes, I have the one that is now selling for $139. I bought mine 3 years ago for slightly less than that IIRC. I bought the same one for my grown step-son a couple of months ago. He has taken to it like a duck to water!

Save    
beesneeds

I use a sous vide stick too... and I don't use special equipment either. I've got a big kettle if I'm doing big stuff, and a smaller plastic bucket for doing smaller stuff.

I do insulate- I reuse some of the heavy felted insulation stuff that comes in my food boxes and just wrap it around my water vessel. If I am doing a long cook, I cap the top with a lid, towel. or plastic film.

lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, bbstx, plllog and bees needs.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bbstx
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I did get the same e-mail but paid no mind having the original. Now reviewing the copy, it is a bit confusing calling the new one smaller, faster, stronger.

Not much smaller and small to begin with. Faster? Not really the point. I set mine up and turn it on to proper temp, then get the meal prep ready. If I fill my vessel with hot tap water it takes no time. Stronger I understand. The new model is water tight. The equivalent of getting a good case for your smartphone. I suppose that is an improvement.

I remember paying 99 for FathersDay back in 2014...or was it 129? and may have been 2015. This model is 139 on amazon today. Electrolux bought them out in 2017. But I believe the original team is still involved/creating.

And I agree, the extra toys are not needed to use it. Just a future want like my clear square vessel is nice to check quickly the water level and the bag adjustment if needed.

I'm guessing the pro model handles a larger water amount.

The talk of the town and the new kid on the block is the anova oven. Those that pre-ordered just received this past week. Kenji just did an unboxing on his uTube channel yesterday. (he paid for it so not an Anova ad). SousVide without a bag, steam, roast, etc. I don't need or want one but I am watching the reviews. Would be a great choice for the beach home.

Save    
bbstx

Sd, I bought my Anova in 2017. I bought the Nano on a pre-sale for something like $60. Apparently there were manufacturing issues and delivery was seriously delayed. Finally, Anova offered to deliver the model I have as a straight up trade for the model I ordered. It came in just as my mother went into the hospital with her last illness. I stuck it in a closet and totally forgot about it until 9 months later when DH and I were on a cruise and started talking to another couple who often cooked sous vide. I like that I can pull a steak out of the freezer and cook it without having to thaw it.

Thanks for the heads up about Kenji and the Anova oven. I just got a Breville toaster oven so I have been ignoring the Anova ad thinking it was just another toaster oven.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Kenji pulled it out of the box and started pushing buttons, 😂....full studied review to come. He has a restaurant oven called, I think, a CVac(?). (used in his new restaurant). The new Anova I believe is similar technology.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Appliances Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Kitchen Design A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Kitchen Workbook New Ways to Plan Your Kitchen’s Work Zones
The classic work triangle of range, fridge and sink is the best layout for kitchens, right? Not necessarily
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More