SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Suggestions on how to fit fridge and microwave area in corner nook

julieste
3 years ago

Thanks to help from a lot of you, I have my IKEA layout design for my small townhouse kitchen nearly completed. One of the final details I am still trying to figure out is how to deal with an L shaped corner set off from the rest of the kitchen.

The fridge has to go in this space, and I plan on a full depth 36" wide standard french door because this is the only fridge we'll have. I'll have some side panels around it and a cupboard above that is brought forward. I am concerned about making sure the fridge doors will open fully.

There is a door opening on both sides of this L shape area, as in the photos below. This is a kitchen gut remodel and those walls where the door openings will be aren't built, so I can play with the length of the walls. I do need to have some wall on the right (the short leg of the L) to accommodate structural supports.

I have room next to the fridge on one side or the other for a 24" cabinet of some sort, and this cabinetry is where I need to put my microwave. (This is also the only place in the kitchen I have space for a tall pantry cupboard.) I have 2 basic choices for this space--a tall IKEA pantry with doors and a fixed shelf (the microwave would be in here) and the pull out drawers. OR, I can do regular lower and upper cabinets with a counter. I could set the microwave on the counter or have a shelf built below the upper cabinet to set a microwave on.

I hope the photos help to better illustrate the space and the options. Is there a reason one configuration (pantry vs regular cabinets) would be better than the other? And, would there be a reason to choose left or right side for the fridge placement. Thanks.

This first photo is exactly the same type of space I have, with the wall to the right of the fridge. (In my place that door opening on the left leads to the hall, and the one on the right leads into the dining room.)

Photo 1 is an example of the separate cabinets next to the fridge. I'd put a microwave on the counter or try to figure out how to put a shelf under the upper cabinet, and set the microwave there.

Small Kitchen Living Large · More Info

Photo 2 is a very similar fridge corner layout, and it's an example of using a pantry cabinet next to the fridge (except in my setting there is a real wall on the right side of the pantry). Landing space for me is across from the fridge as in this photo.

Guerra Kitchen · More Info

Photo 3 is another example of the pantry cabinet idea except that I will have a wall on the right of the fridge rather than on the left as in this photo. Microwave would need to go in this pantry cabinet.

Pulling it all together · More Info

Comments (22)