SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
swilkinson1984

kitchen breakfast nook area dilemma

So my 90s kitchen is a bit dated and I’m having trouble figuring out what kind of curtains I should hang in this type of window area. I found this style inspired on Pinterest but I feel I’m not pulling it off well. Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions?

Comments (580)

• lynartist
    last year

When they added that hutch thing onto the end of the cabinets they didn’t even think about how it would create that useless nook in there😳

• lynartist
    last year

Not good planning! They just threw up a wall extension to sit it on!

• Related Discussions

How did you do crown moulding in kitchen & breakfast nook area?

Q

Comments (3)
    here is the pics of how it's set-up today. breakfast nook today--one upper cherry cabinet w/crown will go to the right. do we extend the cherry crown all the way across the ceiling above the sink , to the upper cabinets to the far left? see pic of our OLD kitchen,which butts up right next to breakfast nook should we install the cherry crown above the door, thinking this might look too heavy though? here is the floor plan
    ...See More

Please Help with Breakfast Nook Furniture (X-Post from Kitchen)

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks everyone! Mellyc123--Here's a photo (sorry it's so blurry) of the family room from when we first moved in. We've added some accessories and lighting, but the sectional, rug and credenza are the same. You can see it's much more masculine and darker wood and colors than the kitchen.
    ...See More

Help with Breakfast Nook Area

Q

Comments (32)
    Dining chairs with arms are much more difficult to get in and out of than those without arms, and must be scooted back a ways to do so. The depth of the curves on your chairs makes them almost as deep as arms. The metal protectors that came on my "good" dining set slide very well on the rug. The plastic ones we bought for the kitchen set can get dirt/sand imbedded in them if not used on a rug. My kitchen table is the same width and length as yours, although it's a rectangle so has more surface space at each end. We usually have 6 to 8 people for birthdays, holidays, etc. and with 8 people, putting the serving dishes on the table gets very crowded, but that may depend on how many offerings you have. Anne
    ...See More

Need help with breakfast nook/dining area furniture

Q

Comments (0)
    I have this small dining area adjacent to the kitchen where I’ve had for 3 years this black Ikea piece for my toddlers toys, finally putting everything in his room but not sure what to place there, ideas please? Thank you!
    ...See More
  • swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn so my husband just got home and he doesn’t like the table where it is and I said so there just a useless area there and random fan and he goes...it’s not a random fan!! It’s there for a reason!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

😩😩😩

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn I can’t win with him! We fight about everything home decor or decorative wise and he doesn’t care and says...well I’m
    The one who lives here so it makes more sense for me having in over in the nook

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

sw, talking to you, about what I posted way back: extend island with a complementing and useful feature wood /painted unit.

Maybe a tv over console?

• everdebz
    last year

Of course, the table would have to move away from fp and doorway toward window.

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@everdebz what window? The nook area or where it is now?

• lynartist
    last year

🤦‍♀️ sigh! Well I’m very sorry! There’s no point in continuing this I’m afraid. You most likely won’t get anywhere with such a stubborn hubby like this and you have three small children. Concentrate on them and next time you buy a house be much more discriminating before you buy! Some men think they know everything and there is no shaking that! Good luck swilkinson♥️

• lynartist
    last year

BTW, very arrogant of him to say that since HE lives there it should be his way! Especially since you are home all day raising HIS children 😳

• everdebz
    last year

When you draw layout of entire area, I can say more. We all have to sit on /sleep on ideas for a while.

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn haha well this is our final home to say the least and yup your right! I told him
    Don’t worry I won’t mention anything more about the house

• lynartist
    last year

Ahh, your young! Nothing is forever ....

• robert brewington
    last year

Swilk, smooth out the ceilings, if they’re not smooth already, paint the kitchen white, change the kitchen door style if you want. Definnately use soft close recessed hinges if you splurge on that. Buy the prefinished hardwoods, move the oval table lengthwise underneath the big window to enhance the window. add 2 club chairs to the empty space in the empty space at the corner of the kitchen. Forget about the soffits. Use this site and put in some professional grade low voltage LED, BOTH UNDER CABINET AND IN CABINET. Get rid of the ceiling fan and buy a 4 or 5 Post chandelier. Hire an electrician and have him center it BEFORE you start messing with the ceilings. ALL THIS will brighten/ lighten and modernize the entire space! FORGET ABOUT THE FIREPLACE RIGHT NOW. DIFFERENT BATTLE FOR A DIFFERENT DAY.

USE BLUM recessed soft close hinges

https://www.aspectled.com/products/3-15-led-recessed-downlight-ultra-brightness-9w#voltage=4&beam_angle=81&trim_color=76&led_light_color=11

• robert brewington
    last year

Swilk, see post below. These pics show my in cabinet and under cabinet lighting, my recessed door hinges, back splash.

• lynartist
    last year

SMH🤦‍♀️

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

Haha I can’t even get my husband to agree on a table placement let alone all that bahaha but thanks!

• lynartist
    last year

Guess he didn’t read the previous posts! Your such a guy Robert 😩

• lynartist
    last year

Swilkinson, you should buy your husband a recliner and stick it in the middle of that room under his precious fan! Nothing else in the room; just the chair!

• lynartist
    last year

There you go, now the fan has a reason to be there‼️

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

😂

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

I snowed him and he didn’t say anything lmao

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn I gotta work on his getting the oak trim painted next 😂

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

I’ll at least start with the first floor-baby steps. Lol

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn I was looking at my kitchen lastnight and I feel like there’s just no way to reconfigure it to make it more open 🤷🏼‍♀️😩 I feel the layout is stuck. I wish there was a way to at least make it wider but there isn’t cu of the fkn bathroom behind the fridge area

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn he hasn’t said he doesn’t like the coffee bar in front of the fireplace

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn I do know he 100% wants to redo kitchen and flooring though. We knew that when we bought the house and he IS the one who mentioned getting an interior designer. He did saythat he just felt like the table was in the way where I put it 🤷🏼‍♀️after the heated attitude passed.

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

What do you think of this look in front of that big window?? And hanging a nice light in place of fan? I showed him and he said “now your talking” 🙄

• robert brewington
    last year

Like! Now the table back in front of the large window. Either with or without the center leaf.

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

No putting that ☝🏼 look in front of the big window is what I mean

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

Table back in the nook. I still have the buffet in front of the fireplace

• robert brewington
    last year

Umm. SURE. that’ll work. you have to be willing to compromise!

• robert brewington
    last year

Now ease him on over to the flooring. store. Be gentle. Just a little nudge here and there. and put some floor samples in his hands. note People buy Into a product best after they’ve seen and touched it. The flooring guy will give you samples to bring home so u can lay them on the floor to look at!

• robert brewington
    last year

Now come home with plastic flooring. YOU go shopping for floors and bring samples home for him to look at! Just no laminate please. You can’t put laminate down in a half million dollar house!

• robert brewington
    last year

A prefinished hardwood is going to be easier on the budget, is usually refinishable later on. Comes with a warranty. There’s no sanding. no staining no sealing.

• robert brewington
    last year

And pop on over to sherwin Williams and tell them youve got a kitchen to paint in white and let them help you pick out some paint chips to take home and put a little tape on the doors and STICK EM UP! REMEMBER LET HUBBY HELP DECIDE!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

Haha well my thought right now honestly with 2 young kids and not wanting to go broke since we just moved in and have a mortgage is I’d love to at least get oak trim painted and cabinets done and that random nook area by fireplace figured out. My pink floors I think will be offset and maybe not look so pink once I get all the oak white. I can’t expect IT ALL to be changed right away. If I can at least convince him we get all the oak on the first floor for starters painted I’d say we are golden! I just really think the white trim will make a world of difference, and even white cabs in kitchen especially when it comes to me trying to decorate. My house looks so bare! (Now that Christmas decor is down)....I know you hate the floor AND I do too!! But I want white trim and a white kitchen more 😂 I can work with the ugly ass floors for longer

• robert brewington
    last year

Yep. Start with the trim and kitchen cabinets. Paint chips are free. Bring home some. Tell the guy/girl at the counter you need a painter. A really good one. let them help you pick some paint chips out. Do floors LAST. YOU DONT WANT PAINT “over spray” on the new floors. but you can get SAMPLES. THE FLOORING GUY KNOWS WHAT I JUST TOLD YOU “get it in the customers hand!!!”

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@rob well we are refacing our cabinets, not painting. If soffits are able to be removed then we will just get all new uppers and just reface bottom ones

• lynartist
    last year

Rob, I don’t know why you keep trying to encourage her to do all this on her own when she clearly needs the help of a DESIGNER!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lyn @rob yes!!! A designer! As soon as I get one I’ll let you know! ☺️

• robert brewington
    last year

@lynn. Well I don’t necessariy think swilk needs a decorator but I’m quite sure you could use a psychiatrist. You haven’t had one pleasant statement to make towards me or about any other man. When you’re not ignoring or discounting someone elsea opinion your talking down to them. You may be the “end all be all“ of a designer but if you told me how arrogant my husband was, who works his ass off all day, I’d tell you To stuff it up your ass!

• lynartist
    last year

😂years of experience Robert. I really like men, have mostly worked with men. Appreciate the trades and defer to their expertise when I do work with them! I also recognize when someone is out of their element, has bought a large home and needs the help of a DESIGNER! People with far more experience and more years and many more homes in their lives know the value of hiring a designer. I understand that you don’t want nor see that value. This is a young couple with very little experience and not a lot of vision. Trying to design a home on a forum by consensus of many opinions while it may be fun is going to get this couple ( who obviously has communication problems) nowhere! I don’t have a problem with you personally as I don’t even know you and I’m sure your home is lovely but your experience is quite different than Swilkinson’s. I’m sure you don’t mean to insinuate that staying home and raising children; taking care of a family and large home is not also hard work! I know you could not be that insensitive.

• lynartist
    last year

A good designer can help a couple who can not agree to come to a consensus and agreed vision. They are not just someone who picks out paint and pretty fabrics! In reality they are part visionary and marriage counselor, hand holders and encouraging confidence builders! Find someone that you can trust and connect with! Whether it be a man or women BTW!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lym yes me and my husband do have communication issues. He’s a know it all and stubborn and arrogant sometimes so no hard feelings there. I know what he is believe me!! Not saying I’m easy to deal with either but I know how to decorate more then he does lmao. Our first house looks the way it does because of me AND put 100 grand equity into it. He bought the house in 2009 as a bachelor-did nothing with but move in with his old beat up college furniture, met me, we traveled and lived up our lives to the fullest, got married, planned to build, it fell through, then we were stuck in a dump and I forced to remodel. He bought the house for $116,000 in 2009 & now we sold it for $275,000...never would’ve sold it for that if we didn’t do all that we did to it because of ME! Now we found anew house that we didn’t plan on ever spending this much on with a mew home but IT HAPPENED and it’s a dated home that needs HELP!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

My old
    Living room

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

The walls use to be BRICK RED and the red brick fire place. He had no area rug and a ripped
    Beat up sectional in the corner and an ugly
    Gold ceiling fan with zero decor and some end tables he look like he built himself. Oh and his tv was shoved on an ugly stand where that white square thing is on the wall
    Himself

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

No curtains in any windows except what they previous people left. It was bad. It’s like he moved in and was done

• lynartist
    last year

Your previous home was beautiful swilkinson! I’m sure your new one will be even more so!

• swilkinson1984
    Original Author
    last year

@lym yes I’m sure! With just a lot of fighting and arguing and disagreeing we will get there! 😂