SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_183796286

Foam board and basement crawl space.

Rob F
3 years ago

My house is a 1909 Craftsman in North Eastern Ohio. About 1924, a 2 story addition was added to the home that are upper and lower sunrooms. As typically seen in old homes, in the back of the basement there is a portion of the original foundation busted out to create access to a crawlspace under the above sunroom. This ~9'x12' room has a dirt floor the walls are red cinder block. There is a glass block window at the far end of this room.

As my workshop is adjacent to this area, I would like to roughly finish it so that I can store some plastic bins, tools, and wood. From looking around on the internet, I have found others who say put plastic vapor barrier on the walls, draping it a foot or so out onto the dirt, add another layer across the floor, overalapping all joints 12" and taping all seams. Following that, use rigid foam board on the walls. My plan is to put 2x2 furring strips down on the floor and add plywood. I am wondering what is the best type of rigid foam board to use (XPS, PolyIso?). I am aware that 1/2" drywall may be required, subsequently, as a flame barrier, but have also heard that foil faced fiberglass reinforced isocyanurate board, e.g. Thermax, can be used and left exposed. I have seen countering opinions regarding pink Foamular and blue Tuff-R.

This room is more for function than aesthetics. I have not seen any water intrusion. The floor to ceiling joists distance is about 5 feet, so I just need to be able to comfortably get in and out of there to grab things.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)