Your go-to dip for fruit?

eld6161

I am invited to a small (outdoor of course) brunch next weekend. I signed up for the fruit.

I think I want to do it platter style rather than in a bowl. Anyone have a tried and true

easy dip for fruit?

Years ago I made something with yogurt, but I don't have it in my archives.

Thanks!

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seagrass_gw

Haven't made this one in awhile but it's good! Blend all together:

8 oz. softened cream cheese

2 ripe mashed bananas

2 Tbsps. milk

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Save    
amylou321

Just cream cheese some powdered sugar and vanilla.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I agree with amylou but if it comes out too thick you can thin it with a bit of orange juice for extra flavor.

Save    
Sammy

Skip the dip. High-quality, blemish-free, seasonal fruit doesn’t need any accoutrements. Here’s some inspiration:

Ina Garten’s Fruit Platter

Save    
lindac92

I agree about skip the dip....but some people think everything needs embellishment. But one I have used is simply sour cream sweetened with brown sugar and a hint of vanilla extract.
When I make a fresh fruit bowl for a funeral lunch...a melange of watermelon, cantalope, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple chunks and perhaps honeydew if it's good. I never use any dressing, perhaps a squeeze of lemon if I am short on pineapple, and people ask for my dressing recipe....it's so light they say. LOL!....sometimes less is more!

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Who does not enjoy some nice plain fresh fruit. But that was not the question.

from Sammy, "Here’s some inspiration:..."

LOL. I find that a bit obnoxious when someone is asking for some dip ideas. Google 'Ina Garden fresh fruit dip' and you will find a dozen maybe more ideas. The Ina I know has a big bowl of lemon curd or cream or minted yogurt in that pic posted above.

I like a minted lemon zested plain greek yogurt. (Ina adds sugar and vanilla). Honey. A small bowl of sugar with minced mint and lemon zest...especially if I have fresh rhubarb.

Save    
Sooz

I had some fruit dip at a bridal shower ... it was cream cheese and marshmallow fluff mixed together. I don't know the amounts, or if there was anything else in it, but it was gone gone gone very quickly!

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Are people really back to socializing potlucks? Even outdoors, it's too much for me. I can barely go to a tented outdoor uncrowded place with just my husband.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I like the idea of skewers or individual bowls for safety.

2 Likes Save    
maddielee

Yes to individual dip containers....OR call it a sauce and serve in a small pitcher.

I’m not at the point of enjoying a buffet type meal but might pick up a complete individual serving like these, using fruit.

1 Like Save    
party_music50

I've used this yogurt sauce for years -- everyone loves it. It works well as a fruit 'sauce' or dip, but I always make mine with regular cream cheese (vs light) because it's what I keep on hand. I don't add nuts or coconut but I'm sure they'd both be good. I can't find the recipe on their site for some reason, but I had this copy saved. BTW, make it a double batch. :O)

FRESH FRUIT WITH VANILLA YOGURT SAUCE

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 (3 oz.) pkg. light cream cheese
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. plain nonfat yogurt
8 c. assorted fresh fruit
Nuts or coconut, toasted (optional)

In a small mixer bowl, combine cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add yogurt; beat until smooth. Spoon sauce over cut-up assorted fresh fruit. If desired, top with nuts or coconut. Makes 8 servings.

BTW, that dip that sooz describes is another I thought of, but iirc the version I have is made w/ sour cream, marshmallow fluff, toasted coconut, and raspberry jam. I'll try to find the recipe if you decide to try it.

Save    
Sherry

Coconut Fruit Dip – Paleo & Dairy Free!

★★★★★

5 from 1 reviews

• Author: The Coconut Mama

Ingredients

• 1 Cup of Coconut Cream, cold with water removed.*
  • 1 Tablespoon Raw Honey/Maple Syrup or a few drops of Liquid Stevia
  • 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

Instructions

1. Scoop cold coconut cream into a medium size mixing bowl.
  2. Whip up the cream using an electric mixer.
  3. Add sweeter and vanilla.
  4. Refrigerate dip until ready to serve.
  5. This recipe makes approximately 1 cup of dip.
  6. Serve with fresh fruit or coconut flour graham crackers. Enjoy!

Notes

*Coconut cream is the cream on top of cold coconut milk (I use this coconut milk). I suggest refrigerating the coconut milk overnight before making this dip. The coconut water will pour out easily leaving the cream on top.

I make a coconut whipped cream like this, but no honey. Both are very good. Even the ones that can have milk, like it.

My son buys the little clear cups with tops, like you get with carryout sauces, at Costco.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

No dip tip:

Asian/Korean/Chinese markets have many more interesting fruits, and their fruits are higher quality.

I am in the no-dip camp.

dcarch

Save    
Martha Scott

I have two -- one is a white chocolate dip that goes so well with fruit and the other is a "cannoli" cream that is also wonderful.

Here's the link to the cannoli cream that Gaida uses it to top fresh fruit but it's good as a dip too:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fruit-salad-with-cannoli-cream-recipe-1915755

And here is the white chocolate dip:

https://www.fivehearthome.com/white-chocolate-cheesecake-fruit-dip/

Not a dip but a pour over is a tequila lime dressing and I have people that lick the bowl -- LOL!

FRUIT SALAD WITH SARAH’S DRESSING

3/4 c. sugar

1/4 c. water

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

2 to 3 T. tequila

1 t. grated lime zest

14 cups cut up fresh fruit (such as pineapple, strawberries, kiwifruit and grapes)

Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lime juice and tequila. Let stand at room temperature. Chill, covered, for 2 hours or until cooled completely. Stir in the lime zest.

Combine the fruit and lime mixture in a large bowl and toss to coat. Serve immediately.

2 Likes Save    
Lars

An authentic Balsamic vinegar (from Modena, aged at least 12 years) is my favorite dip for fruit. I just drizzle it onto the fruit. You can substitute pomegranate molasses, for a less expensive option.

Save    
artemis_ma

Really good quality fruit I don't have much need to dip at all. I certainly won't add extra sugar. I could see a light balsamic vinegar-based idea, for some fruits only. Maybe a good quality plain and tasty full-fat yogurt, no embellishments.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Pomegranite molasses and Italian Saba are both good drizzlers. (thanks lars, I forgot about that)

No, we are not gathering. I planned and canceled three times so far. It would have been 8-10 including us. All outdoors. Badminton and croquet seemed safe. Old farm sink outside the barn for prep and washing up.

I have so many skewer varieties from a wedding a couple years ago and ordered even more choices a few months ago. Fun menus to plan and really looked forward to seeing friends. I had dozens of extra tomatoes starts to give out to friends gardening for the first time.

Pot lucks might get complicated if not well planned. Can work if all are on the same careful page. Would not want a super-spreader tossing the salad.

Small fruit skewers would be a good way to present. A dip bowl on the side.

This was on that menu. Link, HERE ...(and having a version tonight)

Save    
cindy_z6b/7a VA

French Cream Fruit Dip by Paula Dean. It's delicious!

Save    
Cloud Swift

For tart fruit, the spiced honey syrup in this recipe is good:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/mini-honey-cakes-for-rosh-hashanah/

I'd made the mini honey cakes for Rosh Hashanah and the spiced honey from the recipe was so good that I made an extra half batch for having on challah and on apples. It probably would be good stirred into yogurt for a yogurt fruit dip.

Save    
bcskye

When our parish's nun retired, we held a party for her with finger foods only. I did the veggie sticks, like maddielee did. Placed them in shot glass sized solo type cups with Ranch dressing in the bottom of each. They were a big hit because each person had their own, so important right now.

Madonna

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I will have to remember the veggie cups at Christmas. I always take a tray but there are some family members whose table hygiene is not the best so if I don't grab what I want right away I do without. And those cups are cute and festive!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Sorry to be a downer, but is sharing and dipping the thing to do at the moment?

1 Like Save    
nancyjane_gardener

Sour cream and brown sugar or balsamic and grill it!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Budget Decorator: Let’s Go Thrifting
Dip into the treasure trove of secondhand pieces for decor that shows your resourcefulness as much as your personality
Full Story
Coastal Style Dip a Toe Into Modern Nautical Style
Leave the fishing nets and the wooden sea captain to the clam shacks. Create a beautiful, modern nautical room without a single anchor
Full Story
Gardening Guides Crazy for Fruit Trees
Whether a single citrus or a mini apple orchard, even the smallest landscape space can bear deliriously delicious fruit
Full Story