SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vbelicious

5mm LVP vs 8mm Laminate

vbelicious
3 years ago

I want to replace the 8mm thick laminate floor in my 13 year old townhouse on the main level (kitchen, dining, living room area). Nothing wrong with it, just looks outdated. The subfloor is plywood.

I'm looking to replace with either laminate or LVP. Seems like market is leaning towards LVP today, but my concern is, it is usually quite thin (5mm), so would that be a downgrade from my current 8mm laminate floor in terms of how it feels under foot? What about noise and heat retention? Would thinner material be inferior? Should I try and find at least a 8mm thick LVP to match my current floor to avoid downgrading what I have now? I don't want to install a thinner floor and then find out it feels worse compared to old floor.

Another option I'm considering is to get laminate + cork underlay for sound deadening and heat retention. I've been reading that cork is not an option with LVP, so that's why I would go with laminate for this reason. It feels like laminate+cork would be much beefier and superior to 5mm LVP.

What are your thoughts?

Comment (1)