SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nidnay

Need some help to minimize wall height of two story great room

Nidnay
3 years ago

Could use some help here.

This is NOT my home but my daughters. She purchased it about a year ago and they’ve been doing lots of repairs as well as the not so glamorous fixes. Just about every single window in the entire house leaked and they’ve replaced most of them and will be replacing ALL of them in acceptable chunks ($). They will also be replacing ALL the floors with site finished white oak (again $).

This particular room (which is 2 story’s) will also have a new mantle and surround, a built in in the recessed part of the wall on the left, new paint (Agreeable Gray....nice warm gray), white trim, new appropriately sized rug, lamps, coffee and side tables. Maybe a console on the left wall and some art on the walls. Sofa and chairs will stay.

The problem is what to do to minimize the huge wall on the right. We were thinking of doing shaker wainscoting on the window wall but there is not a lot of wall space for that and wainscoting on the right wall I feel would be overwhelming.

First 2 pics are listing photos with the original windows and the second 2 show the new windows. Last one is a photoshopped version (which adds in a third window). The room faces north and is dark....they wanted to add a window to bring in some additional light. I’m pretty adverse to placing windows above fireplaces, but in this case thought it was acceptable and the fact that it won’t come down all the way and sit on the mantle makes it feel ok.

We are open to all suggestions!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH