SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annchen_knodt

Advice on leveling wooden subfloor for luxury vinyl plank install

Annchen Knodt
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a second floor condo in a wood-frame building built in 1985. I am installing COREtec ProPlus LVP (5mm thick, cork backing) over the wooden subfloor in the ~400 sqft living area with the help of my partner and parents, and we've gotten most of the plank down only to realize that we had not found all the dips and variations in the level of the subfloor before laying it. (I suspected that would be the case and have learned my lesson about trying to move forward with the project too quickly!)

We plan to pull most of the plank back up (at least to get to the worst spots) and are now trying to determine what standard to adhere to moving forward, and what product to use for flattening/leveling. Most of the floor feels pretty solid but there are (1) a few places where there are slight dips or small crowns (the latter seem to be at seems in the subfloor) and (2) seemingly slight general differences in the level of the floor from one side to the other - I don't have a laser but this is based on perception and observations we've made with a level.

We are trying to decide between sanding the crowns and filling the dips with patching material (Henry 345 which is recommended by COREtec) and calling it a day, or taking it a step forward and using self-leveling compound (Henry 555). I initially thought that self-leveling compound just in the middle of the floor where the dips are concentrated would potentially be the right balance of simple and effective, but have grown concerned that the nature of the floor may require SL to be applied to the entire room which would be a much larger undertaking. As such, I now lean toward just applying the patching material in the worst areas and accepting the slight slope on one end of the room.

However, if there are reasons to believe that anything but a 100% perfectly level floor would be a total disaster then I am also open to spending the $$$ and time on getting it perfect, would just like to avoid that if possible.

Thank you for any advice and experience you have to share!!!

Comments (9)