SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lellolicious

Need advice for dividing and saving my dad's Schefflera.

Erika
3 years ago

When my dad retired in 1997, he brought home a Schefflera that had been in his NYC office for 20 years. My parents put it in their living room window and a few years later, it was touching the ceiling.

As they got older, they weren’t as diligent about watering it. It lost some leaves and I’d give it as much TLC as I could when I went home to visit. This summer, I put it outside in their screened porch where it loved the humidity. It sprouted lots of new leaves, but there are long sections of trunk with no growth at all. I'm sure it looks like it's begging for a good pruning, but the wonky shape was part of its charm.

Now my parents are moving to assisted living and the plant needs a new home. I’d love it in mine, but I live across the country. So I’m hoping I can take at least part of it back with me on the airplane. (My brother lives near my parents and I'm hoping I can convince him to adopt whatever portion is left.)

What is the best way to go about this? How/where should I cut it, and how do I transport it so it survives for about 8 hours without water? If it helps, I've highlighted in yellow the sections with no growth.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm