SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mag_ben

Can this unwatered Schefflera be saved?

mag_ben
8 years ago

Not very experienced or successful with houseplants. Decided to try again and bought myself this Schefflera four months ago. Went on vacation, didn't want to ask the landlady to water it, and thought it would be OK for 13 days, but I wound up extending and was gone 22 days. Came back to find it in this condition last night, with about half a dozen dropped or obviously sick leaves. I gave it a good watering with Jack's Classic houseplant food in the water as usual. Also have misted it several times. No better today really, except maybe one small top branch pointing up that was drooping before.

For what it's worth: Besides the unfortunate drying-out, I think it's pretty root-bound because small quantities of water go right through to the saucer. That's been the case for two or three months. It is in organic soil with a layer of stones at the bottom of the pot.

The plant is located about 2 feet back from a pair of west-facing ground floor windows with blinds that are usually shut tight, but still let a lot of light through. The blinds were closed while I was away. I did open them today, perhaps unwisely.

Is this a lost cause? If not, how should I proceed with it? Do I have to prune it? And
how long should I expect recovery to take?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH