SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

I lost my dog yesterday

sleeperblues
3 years ago

Took all the dogs for a walk in the woods. I have a 4 year old rescue standard poodle, a 15ish year old rescue bischon, and a 15 year old mini poodle that I got as a puppy. I don't have tags on the two littles because they scratch at night and the tingling wakes me up. Plus they are so old and don't run away. So I must have dropped Dusty's leash (15 year old mini poodle) and didn't notice right away. Turned around and he wasn't there. I had gone over a hill in a wooded area, so I wasn't worried at first and turned around thinking he would be right there. He was just gone. I rewalked the area, searching and calling for him but he is close to deaf and probably couldn't hear me. The other oldster was getting very exhausted, so I took the two dogs home and was going to go back with my bike to continue searching, but I couldn't fit the bike into my car. By now it's getting to be 3 PM and the nights have been getting really cold, into the 30s. I went back and re-walked everywhere, searching and calling. I was holding it in, but very worried about my little guy. So worried a coyote had gotten him, or his leash was stuck on a log. I decided to call the humane society, and they had him!! That's when I lost it, and just started bawling in the middle of woods. I rushed over there to pick him up, and he was nonchalant as if nothing had happened, covered in burrs. He does have a microchip, but for some reason it's registered to my vet and not me, so I would have eventually gotten him back but this saved me a sleepless night of searching the woods with a headlamp. Gave the humane society a 200.00 donation I was so grateful. I think I'll leave the little guys home today when we go for our hike:( Thanks for listening, it was just so traumatic I had to share.

Comments (45)