SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

How to Cope? My Dog Passed Yesterday

amykath
8 years ago

I put my best friend and soul mate to sleep yesterday and my heart breaks. I cannot stop crying and I wonder how to deal with this. She was with me for 15 years. I loved her and she loved me beyond words. I would hold her tight when I was sad and she always made me feel better. I am so very sad and she is not here to hold.

Any advice on how to cope with such a loss?

This was my Maddie. RIP

Comments (87)

• rubyclaire
    8 years ago

I'm so very sorry - it's just so hard to lose a beloved pet. So many words of wisdom here. Over the years, we have lost several "best friends" and it hurts like hell every time. The grief is real and you just have to move through the experience. I know that is easier said than done. Be good to yourself. Sweet Maddie was a lucky girl to have such a loving mom. Hugs.

amykath thanked rubyclaire
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

I am so terribly sorry. I get teary just thinking about our getting to that point. I told my husband that I will need to take weeks and weeks off when we lose one of ours. I added that a day or two would suffice when he goes though! ;). Jk. Still, there is something about losing a pet that seems to rip our hearts apart-probably that unconditional love and trust they give to us. Your Maddie is a beauty. Go ahead and cry. I think we need to wallow in our grief for a bit.

One thing I am sure of is that I will head to the Friends of Homeless Animals and bring home another in honor of the ones we had. It won't be the same, but if I can give a pup with no home a place in mine, then it is all good. They all deserve that and it will ease the sadness for me somewhat.

amykath thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Related Discussions

Mike Lowe passed yesterday.

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks Paul for passing on this sad information. Mike Lowe was a giant in the world of old roses. I heard of him 30 years ago and knew I must meet him and experience him and his collection of OGRs in Nashua. I contacted Mike and was off to Nashua for his spring bloom, in Jume. Mike and Irene were the best of hosts. Mike was always impetuous with me, but showed me much including how to propagate rose cuttings at his home in Nashua. I made 2 forays with him to Karl Jones' 11 acre rose garden in Barrington RI for cuttings. We kept sporadic contact over the years, but it was always engaging, enthusiastic, and full of information. Mike also helped me with a contact at Roserie d 'la Hay for some rambler bud wood one summer. Oh, those were days of great joy and possibility. I shall miss Mike and the opportunity to catch up on his latest rose adventures as I discovered a few years ago when he came to Washington for a National Rose Show. Sadly, this will take some time to get over. Losing a mentor always does and will be felt deeply. Nick
    ...See More

Mike Lowe passed yesterday.

Q

Comments (18)
    Paul, that is such a wonderful thoughtful thing to post Mike Lowe's Guest Book. Both Jim1961 and I are doing our prayers and I will sign in later tonight... Henry Kuska, that is wonderful for you to put out a link on some of the roses that Mike Lowe bred. Along that line I thought of an idea. Maybe if we can all work together to get all the link of roses and if anyone grows any of these and has photos of their roses, we can perhaps get some warm-wishes, thinking-of-you memorial bouquets going for him and his family. As HenryKuska listed there's Autumn Sunset, Eglantine which many of you have... If anyone has difficulty knowing how to post a photo, email me with the hyperlinks and I'll try to put them up. Or anyone else who knows how to post photos can likewise volunteer.
    ...See More

Mother in Law passed yesterday

Q

Comments (33)
    I-chic: I'd hardly call your traumas "little". My continued thanks to everyone for their thoughts and support. The funeral service was yesterday. The church was so packed they had overflow in the fellowship hall and the patio area right outside the church. Mom was a well-loved and respected member of her family, her community and her church. We continue to deal with her loss. While we knew that she was not going to be with us much longer, we did not expect it now. Our consolation is knowing that she is now without pain and that we have each other for love and support.
    ...See More

Have you had a dog pass from CHF?

Q

Comments (38)
    That is so fascinating Marilyn. I bought my little guy from an older woman that had one litter of puppies a year and potty and car trained them, she even named them. She was very nice. When I took him home I immediately took him to the vet for a wellness check and to talk about getting him fixed. The vet said this dog is unhealthy and potentially have many health issues. I was shocked I spent a lot on him, the breeder had papers on him and seemed trustworthy. He said a Lhasa Apso should be twice this size. He has always struggled with his health. The breeder was breeding only the smallest to get even smaller dogs I know now. I told the vet I loved him, which I do and was willing to take on potential health issues. My husband has declared several times that our dog is the most expensive dog on earth lol due to all of his health issues....I still love him! I have been waking up with him for 14 years sometimes several times a night.
    ...See More
  • texanjana
    8 years ago

My heart aches for you. It is so hard, I know. Thinking of you and hoping you find comfort in your good memories of your sweet Maddie.

amykath thanked texanjana
  • amj0517
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry. Time is the only thing that will help.

When my Rocky died I cried all the time for the first few days. The smallest thing would set me off. We chose to have him cremated, and the strangest thing happened. The day his ashes were delivered the excessive crying stopped. I'd cry a bit, and of course I was still sad (still am), but it was almost as if his coming home made me feel better.

amykath thanked amj0517
  • cattyles
    8 years ago

Me, too. Strange as it seems, having my fur babies ashes back home really did help.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

My heart aches for you. All pet owners go through this but it never gets easier... just know that you have many friends who understand.

I couldn't read all the replies (sorry, they just bring my losses closer to the surface),

We will all grieve different, as someone else mentioned. One of the things that helped me was to actually leave the house. I went to my bf's house (out of state) for a month (thankfully I could work from there). I know this isn't practical for everyone but since I was still grieving the loss of another dog when my older "heart dog" passed, I needed to just escape the quiet house.

I would NOT have been able to deal with a shelter. In fact, friends offered me their dog for a day or two and I just couldn't. For others this would have been a welcome distraction. We're each different.

All I can say is to listen to your heart-- do what you feel is best for you at any given moment. It will change day by day.. even moment by moment.

amykath thanked Funkyart
  • tinam61
    8 years ago

I can't even bring myself to read this thread, but I wanted to tell you how very sorry I am. My baby is right here beside me as I type and I cannot imagine life without her! They truly become part of our family.

amykath thanked tinam61
  • eandhl2
    8 years ago

I am sorry for you loss. I appreciate we can stop the pain & suffering of animals.

amykath thanked eandhl2
  • Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

(((Hugs))) I am so sorry for your loss. What a heartache to lose a beloved fur baby. You have so many loving and wonderful memories of your girl. I hope they help to heal your heart.

amykath thanked Holly- Kay
  • User
    8 years ago

I am so sorry. That photo- what a total sweetness. Pretty Girl, rest in peace.

amykath thanked User
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I am so very sorry. I have no advice, just empathy.

amykath thanked Errant_gw
  • beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

amykath thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • cattyles
    8 years ago

And now I'm crying. That was certainly a comfort to me, amck2.

• sableincal
    8 years ago

I am so sorry. Like many others here I too have experienced making this terrible decision and then being there with a beloved animal. Even in your grief you know that this is the greatest love you can show when it's time.

What has helped me most is picturing my cats at the Rainbow Bridge, welcomed by others who have gone before, and even by the beloved furries of friends and family. Somehow that has helped me smile through the tears.

(((((( Artillery )))))) - Maddie is a beauty!

amykath thanked sableincal
  • schoolhouse_gw
    8 years ago

Sorry for your loss. It's very hard.

amykath thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • gsciencechick
    8 years ago

I am so sorry. What a pretty girl.

When I married DH I had 3 male cats. After the 2nd one died, we were devastated. We also thought our remaining guy would be better as an only cat. We took a chance and adopted a 6-year-old girl kitty this past summer, 3 years later. It just felt right. She has really healed our hearts. She has some characteristics of the last kitty who passed away, but she is still her own personality. And she and big kitty get along great.

amykath thanked gsciencechick
  • missymoo12
    8 years ago

This loss of a best friend is SO hard. My heartfelt condolences for you. It is so wonderful that you could love a pet that much. In time I hope you can love another needing pet again - there are so many.

amykath thanked missymoo12
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    8 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this, aktillery. It's always so hard.

amykath thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

So sorry to hear of your loss. Try to find comfort in knowing it is you, and not Maddie who is suffering. Allow yourself to grieve, cry. Do something in her memory; frame a favorite photo, get a pet art drawing, plant a tree, make a donation to or volunteer some time at a shelter to help a homeless pet. Take care of yourself.

amykath thanked MDLN
  • aprildodd
    8 years ago

It is hard.... I'm sorry:(

amykath thanked aprildodd
  • Springroz
    8 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this. What a love Maddie was. Her spirit will always be with you.

amykath thanked Springroz
  • rockybird
    8 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Please hang in there.

amykath thanked rockybird
  • razamatazzy
    8 years ago

what a beautiful Maddie. I just made my 60 lb furbaby get on my lap and cuddle. It will get better it just takes time. I used to smell my past dogs pillow/beds to give me a familiar feeling. So sorry for you

amykath thanked razamatazzy
  • neetsiepie
    8 years ago

I can't express my sorrow and heartbreak for you. As others have said much more eloquently than I, you will go on. Crying is perfectly acceptable. Lying in bed sobbing your eyes out is allowed. You have suffered a great loss and your heart is breaking. Time seems to move so slowly after we suffer such a heartbreak, but in time you will hurt less. Maddie will forever be in your heart. Meanwhile please accept my hugs and sympathies.

amykath thanked neetsiepie
  • deeinohio
    8 years ago

I am so sorry. She was beautiful.

amykath thanked deeinohio
  • stratfordroad
    8 years ago

Mad die looks like she was a sweet girl - so sorry for your loss. It helped me to frame a good picture of my departed dogs or cat and put it where I'd see it when I came home, where Zelda, Jasper or Trilby would usually be greeting me. That way I'd see their beautiful image and I thought of it as a tribute. Years later I still have their pictures displayed in the room where I feel my pet would be comfortable. It's so hard!

amykath thanked stratfordroad
  • LynnNM
    8 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is heart wrenching. She was blessed to have such a loving mom, someone who gave her such a happy life, full of adventures and much love. I truly do believe that we will see our pets that have gone before us someday when we pass. Until then, many hugs.

amykath thanked LynnNM
  • mitchdesj
    8 years ago

I am also so sorry for your loss, he was so beautiful !!

keep yourself healthy through this pain, it must be so hard .

amykath thanked mitchdesj
  • jpmom
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry. What a beautiful dog. I don't care what they say, but time really doesn't heal. just hold on to your memories and be thankful for all those wonderful years together.

amykath thanked jpmom
  • denali2007
    8 years ago

Crying tears for you also. My 2 fur girls will be 15 this summer and I cry just thinking about losing them. So, go ahead and cry!

amykath thanked denali2007
  • MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Oh Amy, I'm so so sorry. I'm not on the boards too much these days, but glad I spotted this thread. Remember the time you spent together and the love you shared, and let the tears flow. The sadness will always be there for the loss of your sweet Maddie, but the good memories will too. Eventually, you'll smile when thinking of her.

amykath thanked MagdalenaLee
  • 2pups4me
    8 years ago

So sorry for the loss of your furbaby.

amykath thanked 2pups4me
  • jilldag
    8 years ago

This post, and all the responses have brought me to tears. We had to put down our best friend in October. He was our first dog and we had no idea how much he would change our lives and how deep our love for him would become. I feel your pain and despair desperately. I am so sorry for loss. Last week was the first time that I was able to talk about him and not burst into tears. It takes time. The pain of our loss was so deep, that we thought that we may never have another dog, because we knew that it would never be him. We have not taken that leap of faith because we still miss him so much, but I am frequently reminded of what our vet told me when I went to pick up his ashes. She asked me if I thought that I would get another dog, and I told her that I didn't think that lightening would strike twice because the bond that I had with him was so strong. He was my constant companion. He went with me everywhere. She told me, through her own tears, that just like my dog found us, (he was a runaway, and the owner didn't want him anymore) another dog would. She said that I would be doing a disservice to not have and love another dog because she was blessed by witnessing the relationship that I had developed with a neglected runaway. Those words still make me think, almost daily about opening my heart to another dog. I'm not ready yet, because I can't say "I loved my dog." I desperately love and miss him still. The pain is still raw, so I don't think that it is time, but one day.....

Blessings and love to you.

amykath thanked jilldag
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Maddie is just beautiful. I'm so sorry for your loss, Amy, my heart is sincerely breaking for you. Even though it pales in comparison to what they give us, I hope it's comforting to know that you gave her the best life she could have. Tib is so right, they just aren't here long enough.

Our dog is only four and I still worry about when the time comes and we loose her. The bond we share with our pets is pure and simple unconditional love. I still mourn for several pets I've had over the years but regardless of how painful loosing them has been, I'd never trade the time we had for anything. I believe that by opening my heart to a new pet, I've honored those who came before them.. I'm sure it will take time to heal and mourn your loss, but I hope one day you too will be able to open your heart to a new chapter and honor Maddie by letting another dog or pet into your heart.. ((hugs))

amykath thanked User
  • l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

I don't think mourning a pet is all that different than mourning a person. I know with my mourning process I try and mix grieving with turning my mind to something positive. In my mom's case, it was volunteering at the library where she used to work. In your case it might be volunteering at a shelter or helping a friend care for a pet, or planting a memorial tree in a spot where your dog liked to sit, etc. Trying to mix sad feelings with good memories and positive actions helps a lot to get through it. Sharing memories and photos with others helps too, it's good that you posted here!

Also give yourself a break socially. My friend's dog died suddenly from a heart attack at a young age (he was always a bit sickly and had just recovered from Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever, but they thought he was doing well again and had made it through, so they were devastated.) She apologized but said that she just wasn't going to be up for socializing for quite a few months. They made it through but it was rough.

amykath thanked l pinkmountain
  • User
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry about your Maddie. I never really comprehended just how short a dog's life is until my DH and I had to put our first dog to sleep. It was 10 years ago but I still recall every detail. Their short lifespan is one of life's cruelties. My dogs deserve to live longer than me.

amykath thanked User
  • lascatx
    8 years ago

I have been away for a couple of days and just saw this. I could only scan through to find the end and tell you how sorry I am. Although we lost a couple of dogs when I was a child and my parents haad to put my dog down while I was in college, I haven't actually said goodbye to a dog. I have had to say a final goodbye to four cats though -- and I have two dogs -- so I dread that day when I do.

I love Goldens -- never met one who wasn't a great companion and well loved, so I know Maddie was the same. Putting her needs and comfort above your own sacrifice was an act of love and a final kindness, but it is never easy to lose a eager and unconditionally loving friend. Like the loss of any loved one, time will allow you shift your focus to memories and happinesses shared and the knowledge that she is in a better place, but her love will always be in your heart.

And somehow, it seems that love and those fond memories -- and some wagging tails or a soft purr, will compel us to do it all over again. As much as it hurts to lose one, I cannot imagine life without pets. (((hugs)))

amykath thanked lascatx
  • Faron79
    8 years ago

Yeah....so much for my "Tough-Guy" facade.....

Started tearing-up pretty good the second I saw the pic. She looks so much our beloved Golden, Sashi. I couldn't bear to write anything til now. It's not easy. Just doesn't seem fair. Something so wonderful like a Dog is placed in your life. Then it's taken away FAR too early. I don't get it!

Dammit...can't type very much...then have to wipe my eyes & nose again....

Honor her by letting the tears come. Then...try to let another one in. Maddie wants that for you. That much we KNOW...:-) I didn't know I could cry so much when we lost our Girl....

Then....some day soon...you'll be taken by some other little ones eyes! I was positively smitten when I first saw little Callie!!!

Love from Fargo,

Faron

amykath thanked Faron79
  • amykath
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you ALL for sharing your beautiful and some heart breaking stories. Also, thank you for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate every word all of you have typed. It has really helped me so much. It is good to know one is not alone and has so many "friends" who are so compassionate! Love to you all!!

• akl_vdb
    8 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss, tearing up here! They give us so much love! She looks like such a beautiful and cuddly dog.

amykath thanked akl_vdb
  • User
    8 years ago

I've been having a harder time than I'd imagined after losing our beardie last August. I found myself thinking of him and crying last night, while sitting in bed watching tv. My little bichon was next to me and put his paws on my arm so he could look me right in the eyes, like "Mommy, I'm here. It's ok".

Dogs are so amazing.

amykath thanked User
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    8 years ago

Adding my sympathy and tears, AK. I lost my almost 15 year Brittany Sam in Feb. 2015; he was the smartest dog I have ever seen, and so happy. Sam greeted each day by taking a squeaky toy in his mouth, holding his head high, and marching through the house squeaking his good morning happiness.

I know his time had come, and as hard as it was, I know that I was doing what was best for my sweet boy. The vet and I both cried, as he had grown up with her as his vet. As Faron says above, I knew that it would be an honor to Sam if I adopted another dog that needed a home. I did just that last May when I did my first transport for the rescue org. I'm involved with. Everything lined up and it was just perfect when they needed me to foster her temporarily. When she gave me a face full of kisses as the previous driver handed her off to me, I knew I wanted to make her mine. Two days later I learned that I could adopt her.

Before my late dog-loving Dad died in 2007, he had hospice care at home. They gave us a booklet on what to expect to see him do. We were ready when Dad started looking at the ceiling, especially the corners, and said, 'They have dogs up there.' Mum and I smiled, knowing that he'd be fine, and he'd see his past dogs there, as stratfordroad's beautiful sign above says.

When we lose a beloved pet, we wonder how we can go on, but a day will come when you think about Maddie and smile, thinking of the wonderful years you had with her.

amykath thanked My3dogs ME zone 5A
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 years ago

I am so sorry. I have no words, I could hardly open this thread. Mine is 15.

amykath thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • gramarows
    8 years ago

My sympathies for your loss of your companion. This will be a difficult time to get through. As another poster said above, give your self permission to be sad and cry. Later, possibly much later, remembering the fun times and precious moments will bring a smile to your heart.

amykath thanked gramarows
  • martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    8 years ago

Our sweet and beautiful pups. Oh how they break our hearts. I'm old enough to have gone through this , one at a time, with three elderly , beloved dogs. I concur with pink mountain, and believe I may have mourned my first dog more than a close relative, because she was my first child. The grieving process is no different. I disagree about keeping to yourself. Go out and into the world where you are forced to smile and speak of other things. It hastens the healing. I could not rush into another dog, but knew without question I would not be without a pup for long. When that second one began to age I got her a friend. It was so lovely to see how the new dog perked her up, adding interest to her days. And, when the awful time came, my knew girl was there to take a teeny bit of the edge off my grief. Your Maddie was beautiful. Hugs. M.

amykath thanked martinca_gw sunset zone 24
  • cat_mom
    8 years ago

I've said this before; it's the worst part of the best thing in our lives, when we lose them..... My heart goes out to to you during this sad time. Sending you hugs, and wishing you peace.

amykath thanked cat_mom
  • Ice
    8 years ago

It has been three weeks since my Hugo whent over the rainbow bridge and I´m crying a little less. Every morning we took a walk and after his passing I make my self go and walk. The people in my neighbourhood know me and no one bothers me vile I walk with my sun glasses on and cry. But hopefully it will get better and I know I´ll see him in the after life. I have his ashes at home on a small table with a candle next to him whitch I light every day. Then I had an Etsy artist paint him and the small painting hangs where I can always see it.

Hugs to you

Svava

amykath thanked Ice
  • DYH
    8 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have no words to comfort you, only to let you know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

(My apologies for not seeing this sooner. A dear friend is visiting from California and I've not been on the forums this week.)

amykath thanked DYH
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What a great photo. And, what a wonderful friend you were to her that she could live such a long and loved life.

Grieving the loss of a loved pet is one of those things not everyone understands. But, I sure do! The bond many share with their pets runs deep.

I hope you find peace in the good memories soon.

amykath thanked User