SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_732610082

Painting tongue and groove ceilings white in log house?

E M
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We live in a 40 year old log house that was cheaply built as a vacation cottage. We are about to remodel the kitchen including replacing the disintegrating 1980s cabinets with soft white cabinets putting in granite countertops, new appliances, etc. When we bought the house it had dark fake wood paneling that we covered with dry wall and we replaced the brown carpet with a light vinyl. That was many years ago and it is time for a new, more serious update. We are going to put hickory floors in to stay with the rustic feel. We are also planning on painting the tongue and groove ceiling white and leaving the beams the current color which matches the log walls. With making the choice to put in wood floors we feel that we really must lighten up the wood elsewhere and the ceiling seems like the best place to do that (along with adding more lighting). Is there anything that we should be concerned about? I know that many people disagree with painting wood ceilings, but the dark stain makes the rooms feel dark and low. I've also just come across a post staying that painting T&G could really show cracks and noticeable imperfections. I don't mind a little character, but I don't want to really regret the decision. Once we paint, we can't go back. Should we be considering pickling instead? We didn't consider that option when we hired the painters, so didn't get a quote. We are on a tight budget, so the difference in price matters. Right now we are picking out our paint... look at a soft white color but I've started to wonder if we are making the right choice. I want the ceilings lighter... is painting the right way to go?

Comments (19)