SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Got my first Misfits box, and it's nice!

beesneeds
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm in the midwest, and Misfits just recently expanded their service into the midwest. Thank you for letting us know sleevendog :)

As soon as I found out, I signed up to try it out. And my first box is very nice! The box was well insulated- thick felt stuff I was used to seeing when I tried out a dinner service earlier this year. And one of the big gel icepacks on top to keep it cool. The two bags of tea, celery, and squash were on the bottom under a thick paper packing pad.

Nice haul- the romanesco and two bags of tea were add-on's to the order.

Comments (18)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

Oh, I heard that the insulation, the puffy blue recycle stuff is great for lining chicken laying beds. I use it for my garden paths. Between my raised beds.

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You got a nice haul too!

Tonight I'm using the fennel that came in the order to make a caramelized fennel and sweet onion tart with- cracker crust. Gonna go with the cheesy cod and potato casserole :)

I got the grey felt stuff for the insulation. I've used some of it that I have gotten in the past with the dinner service stuff to insulate my sous vide containers. Some of it will likely be used to bottom-insulate my mini greenhouses out on the porch overwinter- the stuff is sturdy!

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Oh that looks good! I intend to sign up in another month or two, we will get our first frost tonight and the garden will be done except for some cold tolerant items like kale and beets. when I use up the last of my last picking my hoop houses will not be ready yet, so it'll be the perfect time for some fresh produce.

Thanks sleevendog, for the update on this, and thanks beesneeds for showing me your "haul". It all looks like stuff I'd use!

Annie

• party_music50
    3 years ago

It all looks great. I’m still skipping deliveries until my gardens stop producing.

What’s the puffy blue recycle stuff? Pic? If I get some I’ll save it for my sister’s chickens. :)

3 years ago

I've had three different box insulators. Mostly the blue grey. It looks similar to organic home insulation. Made from clothing? Jeans?. But feels like wool. Olive oil was wrapped in my favorite accordion cut craft paper.

Maybe they were trying different things or had supply chain issues. The 'wool' seems the most insulating and protective. Some are using it for pet bed filling. I need to research it. It isn't at all dusty like dryer lint. Those using it for their hatch boxes did watch at first to make sure they did not peck it and make a mess. Using it as a liner with some usual bedding on top.

The ice packs I re-freeze. They have been different as well. Some packs say to water your house plants. I don't trust the ones with no labeling.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

I will probably re-start my subscription the end of next month. Right now we still have a few things out in the garden and I am supporting the local farm market around the corner from us that just opened recently by buying whatever they might have that we will use.

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Got in my next misfits box :)

Sleevendog, you and I get the same grey felt insulation stuff.. but we are getting different paper. Yours is the perforated stuff, I'm getting the layered paper pad things. That's a good notion with using it for chicken boxes. I wonder if it would also be good for outdoor cat and possum boxes. I got a couple friends that help them out and if it's OK for chickens...

So, this weeks haul. The flowering cauliflower and small pomegranates were add ons. I'm looking forward to trying the flowering cauliflower- I'm considering getting seed to grow next year. The jicama around here has either been kind of icky, expensive, or both, so was nice to see a good one in the box. I've not tried Crisp's Pink apples before, so looking forward to it.

I was happy to see the box. I will do some poached pears this weekend. The acorn squash is in excellent shape to add to the squash basket, and perfect size for stuffed squash. And I was out of green onions and almost out of lettuce and celery.

From last weeks box... discovered I can like fennel. I rather loathe anise in general, but it's flavor has places in a few dishes I love. So gave that bulb a chance. I learned the bulb when caramelized with sweet onion, is a perfect filling for a savory torte. Went great with the pork chops and apples I made with the apples that came in the box. The broccolini I roasted up whole head. It was tasty, but kind of a disappointment too. Though beautiful for the presentation, it wasn't unique enough in taste from cauliflower to make me want to grow or get it unless it was on a good sale again.

The tea I got on sale is really tasty. I'm kind of hit or miss with green teas. So good if I can add it again to my next order I'll get another bag to give to my sister. She loves a good green.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing ladies. I'm fascinated by this . . .

3 years ago

They have made some advances and changes. Customization is available to all customers. Maybe it starts after the first box.? All zip codes are accepted. Not just metropolitan areas. (that has always been the case when new states are added). Customization is now a specific day depending on delivery day. Before it started 4pm on thursdays only. That day is listed on your timeline. My delivery is Wednesdays so I customize with add-ons today, Friday.

(I think they have pomegranates this week) 😁

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've been able to customize since the first box. I've done a couple add ons, but left the regular box as a mystery to see what I get for a while.

3 years ago

Good to know. My sister signed up last week but she is easily confused. She was disappointed she could not customize. I was getting excess fruit before customization.

How are those itty-bitty pomegranates ?, 😂....would be nice to add just a bit to a salad or fruit salad. They do last a while before cracking open.

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Customize was a few days after I signed up- it's Mondays for me. I was confused that I couldn't customize at first too, then came the email telling me I could. So maybe your sister signed up out of sync with their customization time window, and will still get her email that she can start customizing.

I haven't tried the pomegranates yet, but yep, I got them for just as you suggest. A little sprinkling on a salad or something. I might crack one open to dress the rice for tonights dinner. Toast up a few pine nuts too :)

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    3 years ago

I have been loving getting my Misfits boxes. I was thinking of customizing but I think it would ruin the fun. Being surprised at what comes is the great part of it for me. I love trying to figure out what to make with all these veggies and fruits that arrive (some of which I actually cannot recognize and have to search on line for clues!). We have gotten ginger the last three times and I couldn't think of what to do with all of it. We like stir fries and use a lot of ginger but I had an extraordinary amount. Well someone on a Misfits FB site suggested ginger tea. I thought I would try it and I cannot believe how much I love this fresh ginger tea! I have been making quarts of it. A great new discovery for me!

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love ginger tea :) But it can also freeze real well- just chunk it up a bit to the size chunks you use before you freeze it. Grates real nice.

I am a bit of a food freak, so I can't imagine them sending me something I don't recognize what it is. But I too haven't chosen to customize my produce yet because that's part of the fun of the boxes.

3 years ago

Maybe I should be embarrassed but I had never seen a Delicata squash until last week. Oh, and I'm in love - just delicious. We made it the same way as an acorn squash with butter and brown sugar and served it with salmon. it was so good. Another surprise was the romanesco. I searched for "alien broccoli" and it came right up.... lol.

• beesneeds
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No you should not feel embarrassed, not one little bit. You are having fun learning food and it's yummy, right? Don't ever feel embarrassed about learning, especially when it's yummy learning :)

Hell, I've known about and avoided fennel bulbs for years because I loathe anise- only to be nicely surprised at how good it can be because I was surprised with one in my misfits box.

3 years ago

I grew up with Italian cuisine so I would welcome fennel but I am quite certain my DH would hate it.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022