hzdeleted_35844888

FALL COLOR THREAD - 2020

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

If you got them, show them. :-)

Acer saccharum:

Fraxinus nigra.

eta: The Fraxinus keeps disappearing, I've edited it 4 times and even deleted and reposted once, I give up!

Comments (82)

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My last entry for this season:

Betula papyrifera. Slow to turn like most everything around here.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Beng - the tag said Querqus ruba, but I am certainly no expert on oaks. The leaves seemed to be stunted this year due to a wicked cold snap in mid April. The year before I’d say the leaves were twice as large if that helps I’d the tree.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

behold the “fall colors” of an austrian pine

not a tree, but some good old cotoneaster. the pics never look as good as real life

User thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • whaas_5a
    3 years ago

1 degree off from a record freeze.

Frost was insanely dense.

Few things aren’t looking too good.

Freeman maples always srug off the freezes.

Acer x Firefall

User thanked whaas_5a
  • Plant Love
    3 years ago

How cold did it get? We still haven’t broken 30f here in Alberta where Im at. Windy 64f today. Been very windy but warm. Must be getting the Pineapple Express. Doesn’t look too good next week though. Might finally start getting harder frosts mid week. High of 48f on Tuesday after another nice 60s weekend coming up.

• whaas_5a
    3 years ago

I put out an additional thermostat as I didn't believe the fact temps tanked from upper 40s to 32 degrees by 8pm.

Note the high - it was a long freeze. Water in the hoses froze solid.

Average low is 46. Occasionally we‘ll see these temps late October. Although this year was just utterly brutal with freezes and lack of rain, I’m counting my blessings after witnessing the devastation in other areas.

User thanked whaas_5a
  • bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Joe Bastardi the meteorologist said couple weeks ago his north-central PA location (State College) had the shortest growing season (spring to fall killing freezes) on record. Mid-May to just past mid-Sept. His public videos can be seen on this page:

http://www.weatherbell.com/premium

User thanked bengz6westmd
  • Plant Love
    3 years ago

Wow. So I had a far longer growing season in Alberta. We were end of April to October 1st until my bananas bit the dust and tomatoes.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

Where are you located whaas

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

He’s z5a SE WI. BTW I have not had a frost yet.

tj

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sound worse than zone 3. :?

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

my Amur maple from seed.

User thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • maackia
    3 years ago

This has been a splendid year for fall color. The maples are about done, but the native oaks are now putting on a show.

Here's Korean Mountain Ash (Sorbus alnifolia).

And Northern Pin Oak (Q. ellipsoidalis).

User thanked maackia
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    3 years ago

Korean Mountainash should definitely be planted more often here in the Great Lakes region, but very few nurseries grow it; maackia - did yours come from a local nursery?

Fall color is currently very good on many of the maples, blackgums, sassafras, sumacs, and some of the hickories. This witch-hazel at an area park (today) was nearing peak color ... and flowering:

User thanked arbordave (SE MI)
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Neighbor’s Burning Bush Tree. As you can see it’s a tree. They are now considered invasive and you can only have them in Bush form. Their tree was grandfathered in. It puts on a lovely show each fall......it has not reached its peak color yet.

debra

large maple down the street

User thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • maackia
    3 years ago

I’d have to check my records, which can be a bit of an adventure,, but I think the KMA (no, not kiss my ash) came from a small nursery in Afton, MN. I believe Bailey’s was the grower. It was planted 8-9 years ago and is just coming into its own. This place didn’t have a large inventory, but there seemed to be something different each time I stopped in. It has a nice secluded garden to walk through, and Selma’s is right across the street. :)

User thanked maackia
  • arbordave (SE MI)
    3 years ago

Colors along the roadside this afternoon: Sumac, Sassafras, and yes, even ... Ailanthus

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    3 years ago

Western Maryland yesterday.

User thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Plant Love
    3 years ago

nice Korean mountain ash. I planted a Swedish oak leaf mountain ash this year.

User thanked Plant Love
  • indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

Nyssa sylvatica ‘Autumn Cascade’, planted today 10/12/2020.

User thanked indianagardengirl
  • indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

Hydrangea quercifolia starting to go red.

Houzz driving me crazy tonight, can’t get more than one pic at a time to load.

• indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

Sedum Autumn Joy, Verbena bonariensis, and Amelanchier x Grandiflora Autumn Brilliance.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

Indiana garden girl I want a black gum so bad. I just can’t find a source because no nurseries sell it around me.

• maackia
    3 years ago

Dave in NoVA, is that PA on the horizon? Nice view!

Hydrangea quercifolia Is a shrub I covet. I’ve tried it a few times to no avail. Has anyone grown it long term in z4?

• indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

Plant Love, that tree was mail-ordered from Davidsans Japanese Maples in IL. I can’t say enough good things about those folks. Shipping was expensive, but I’ve never seen a tree so well packaged. They used a good sturdy box, tree was gently wrapped to contain those branches, pot was tied to the bottom of the box in several places, and then the tree was also tied to the box in multiple places. Took me probably 30 minutes to get it out of the box. I’ve bought 4 trees from them, although never a JM. All of the trees have had good form and a nice root system.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

Thanks for the info. It’s almost impossible for me to get anything from america right now with COVID. Takes forever and you have to pay for the certificate.

Anyone else living in the middle of North America? Yikes.

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

It’s coming through western Canada first where I am and it looks like we are about to lose the remaining leaves on everything. Below freezing for 2 straight days at least this weekend.

• HU-569577819
    3 years ago

Plant Love you might grow one from seed. It only takes 90 days cold stratification, and USDA indicates moderate growth rate (30ft. in 20 years.) https://plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=NYSY.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    3 years ago

Plantlove - Canadian, American and European models conflicting at this point. Really no reliable info past three days right now. Fall is a tough time to predict and this particular pattern is tough to predict where it comes from the NW and is zonal.

Anyway, I hope the one you posted is correct! Not quite so cold for me

• Plant Love
    3 years ago

You’re right. It’s conflicting. The gfs wants to pull the cold air completely out by Monday and the euro wants it to get stuck in the west all of next week. The gem is kinda stuck in the middle but leaning more to the gfs.

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Spicebush & berries. Berries are REALLY spicy.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

I always really enjoy theannual fall color thread. Thanks to everyone who added such beautiful photos,

Blueberry

Mix of birch and maple along with hemlocks and white pine providing a dark green contrast

User thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

At this time of year this poem of Wendell Berry always comes to mind because of the last stanza.

Slowly, slowly, they return

To the small woodland let alone:

Great trees, outspreading and upright,

Apostles of the living light.

Patient as stars, they build in air

Tier after tier a timbered choir,

Stout beams upholding weightless grace

Of song, a blessing on this place.

They stand in waiting all around,

Uprisings of their native ground,

Downcomings of the distant light;

They are the advent they await.

Receiving sun and giving shade,

Their life’s a benefaction made,

And is a benediction said

Over the living and the dead.

In fall their brightened leaves, released,

Fly down the wind, and we are pleased

To walk on radiance, amazed.

O light come down to earth, be praised!

User thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Shellbark hickory w/reddish pondcypresses behind. Fast grower for a hickory.

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    3 years ago

Cotinus obovatus at near-peak color this week, with Amsonia hubrichtii in the foreground.

User thanked sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
  • indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

10 days later, here is my Hydrangea quercifolia

and here is an update of the Nyssa sylvatica

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Allee II Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia -- 15 yrs old. Reddish baldcypresses in background. Thousands of seeds, but infertile as there aren't any nearby compatible elms for cross-pollination.

Longleaf pine & Millwood x Thornless honeylocust, both also ~ 15 yrs old. Honeylocust is 50 ft tall:

• arbordave (SE MI)
    3 years ago

bengz6westmd - interesting that your Allee has already colored up. We've planted a small number here, most of which are still fully green.

Yellowwood this afternoon (10/28/20):

• bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Arbordave -- it usually colors 1st week of Nov, but repeated frosts here have colored it a bit earlier than usual. Really nice yellowwood -- one of the best coloring on any legume.

• iwstl
    3 years ago

This Sugar Maple is sadly the only one of my trees to turn colors in the fall, but it never disappoints.

User thanked iwstl
  • maackia
    3 years ago

This is it for me: Larix decidua. This picture was taken a couple of days ago, but it has only gotten more vibrant. It is in more shade than it prefers, and growth is less than what you’d expect for European Larch.

User thanked maackia
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

11-4-2020

The native L. laricina here have been exceedingly slow in loosing their needles and have been colored for weeks.

My only specimen was mostly green until it warmed up into the 60's & 70's recently.

No sun to brighten it up but here's 'Larry'. :-)

Can't believe I was watering trees in November. :-o

• Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
    3 years ago

Not sure why, but autumn foliage has not been stellar in recent years here in NJ/Zone 7. . But this year WAS better than the last two, when the leaves were green and then went to frozen in November, and then stayed on the trees dead for weeks on end.

User thanked Phoenix Rising (Zone 7a/b, NJ)
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

My Flaming Bush has great color this year.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Here’s some Maple colors from my Doctors office building.

debra

• sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    3 years ago

Hamamelis ‘Amethyst’

• arbordave (SE MI)
    3 years ago

Pacific Sunset Maple this afternoon (11/7/20), with some tar spot that makes for a nice "polka dot" effect ;)

• Jameszone7a Philadelphia
    3 years ago

Dwarf gardenii and green gable Nyssa sylvatica

User thanked Jameszone7a Philadelphia
  • sah67 (zone 5b - NY)
    3 years ago

Viburnum x burkwoodii 'Mohawk'

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

James, great pics of your plants and cutie pie dog!! :-)

debra