SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
knott_w

Water leaking from shower pipes wetting wood stud inside wall

William K
3 years ago

I bought my first home and hired my contractor to remodel the whole house.

My bathroom is a part of the remodel. The shower valve was installed and inspected well. Then after tiling, the contractor realized the tiles are too thick and the shower valve was too deep inside the wall; hence shower handles couldn't be installed.

So, instead of drilling the tiles, the wall on the other side (living room) was opened so that the plumber could reroute pipes in order to push the shower valve closer to the bathroom. Then, the wall was covered back, taped, and painted well.

After a week, I realized the covered area cracked. I called the contractor and the wall was re-opened. We noticed the pipe around the shower valve was leaking, making the drywall and the studs wet. As a result, the leak was fixed and the wall was left open to let it dry.

It has been a day since the wall was exposed like this. I checked wood humidity and found that it's still high within the area.

The contractor said waiting for 2-3 days to dry should be fine then the wall will be covered back.

May I have some opinion about this issue please. Should we wait longer? Should the wood be replaced? Any concern regarding to fungus or anything? Or what else should be done to not cause bigger problems once the wall is covered.

Thank you! Appreciate any help here.

Comments (9)