SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen_bui

Need help with warm tone house

Jen Bui
3 years ago

Hi! I love my home floor plan but never loved the color, blacksplash, and what not. I am currently changing the floors out, but want to change to a cool tone without changing the cabinet and countertop. Is that possible? I really need help what color flooring i should do and wall color i should paint the whole house to..

I was going to go with these floors: https://www.flooranddecor.com/water-resistant/austel-brown-wood-plank-porcelain-tile-100612076.html but are there any other suggestions to changing to cool tone.

I have two dogs so i definitely wanted to go with porcelain tile with wood look.

My house looks like this.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hard to get a good look at the cabinets because of the artificial light, but guessing more in this tone:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/carolina-ash-wood-plank-porcelain-tile-100434455.html#q=wood%2Bplank%2Bporcelain%2Btile&search-button=&lang=default&start=5

You have priced the installation, yes? It’s expensive.

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

The brown tile you posted is a warm color. If you want a cool toned floor, this isn't it. That said, it might go well with your cabinets - however without seeing it up against them, in your kitchen's light, it's hard to say.

Also, you have a cool toned backsplash, and warm counters. I'd change one or the other.

• Related Discussions

Warm grayish color for whole house! Need help! Paint experts??

Q

Comments (47)
    Old thread, but I've been searching PPG paint colors with very little success. Everything is about SW and BM, but our builder uses PPG. Thanks for sharing your final colors, it looks great. I am considering Agreeable gray too, but feel it is too dark. Whiskers it doesn't look dark in your home at all so I might have to get a sample of that one. I was looking at Silent Smoke with Delicate White cabinets too.
    ...See More

Need help with lighting in home with warm tones.

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks! Bought a LED bulb yesterday that allowed you to choose between 3 colors. Just tried the daylight , it’s perfect. I never thought I would like the daylight color, after using Reveals, but it is a truer expression. No weird color shades. Just using a slightly lower wattage. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Can you use a warm toned neutral color with a cool tone neutral color?

Q

Comments (13)
    Can someone tell me what this color white means for me then? It's supposed to be a bright white. Will it work with the crisp muslin? Sure will. DEW380 is a very pretty white. As you can see from its hue family notation it belongs to the middle of the Green-Yellow (GY) hue family. Chroma of 0.10. And that's everything you want in a clean, crisp, neutral "just white" white. It would take some diggin' to find a color that does not work with DEW380. With its low chroma it even works with other colors of white and you don't have to worry about either color of white looking dirty or dingy - again, because DEW380 has such a low chroma value of 0.10.
    ...See More

warm tone or cool tone?

Q

Comments (18)
    Are you planning to paint the cabinets? If so two ways you can. A: Lightly sand to give it grip then apply a bonding primer, if not your paint will peel off. With this you don't need to remove the varnish. Then use a durable top coat. I've worked with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic as well with Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel. The latter hardens better. Using a soft bristle brush, mohair or foam roller. B: If you remove all varnish you can use an oil stain blocker. If not stain will spot the surface overtime. Use two top coats.
    ...See More
  • housegal200
    3 years ago

Agree with Sammie that you don't have warm tones at all except for the kitchen floor. To save pulling it up--it looks fine--embrace it and choose tiles with a bit of gold/tan in them. This is Calcutta gold with just a faint echo of the floor. Could you do a closeup of the countertop? Usually the advice for backsplashes is to pick a pale shade of the lightest background shade of the countertop. Is there any goldish tan at all in the countertop? That would be your color

2"x4" Calacatta Gold Marble Brick Tile, Honed · More Info

Calacatta Gold Calcutta Oro Marble 6x12 Subway Tile Honed, 100 sq.ft. · More Info

Here are two kitchens with flooring similar to yours since you could possibly put your money elsewhere--wood flooring in living space and into the kitchen maybe?

Warm ivory which picks up background of patterned countertop:

After · More Info

Pale gold shade that echoes floor and harmonizes with wood cabinets:

Historical St. Paul Renovation · More Info

Daniels Design Kitchens · More Info

Do consider adding modern nickel hardware to the cabinets to lighten them up.

If you want to save some money and make the open space more harmonious, change the paint color in the living area to a light very pale shade of the kitchen floor.

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe it's just me that thought it was warm toned. (i dont have a single decorating bone in my body :( and our house is so plain. 3 years and i dont even have a photo up)

but it seems warm tone because my walls are like tan colored almost.. like a really light tan. i do plan on changing all our bronze fixtures to chrome to look more modern. i picked the floor in my post because it seemed like the only floors that was pretty neutral to go around my whole house without changing the walls or anything else.

I have a quote for installation from our good friend who was in construction for 15 years. I was really lucky because he said $1 per sq foot is all he would charge me and i just get all the materials.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    3 years ago

Below is an image from our design portfolio. The cabinets and backsplash seem to be similar. Notice the flooring color.

Traditional Remodel · More Info

• housegal200
    3 years ago

If you're definitely changing the floor, then it's too early to ask about a new backsplash. The two have to harmonize. I still feel a warmer paint color in the adjoining spaces would help make the floor work. Are you leaving the carpeting or is that part of the new flooring plan? Are you willing to paint the walls a more harmonizing color with the cabinets you have? We don't have enough visual information to offer helpful advice. It's best not do do anything piecemeal--everything in an open plan has to work together. We haven't seen your furniture either. But if your "givens" are the cabinets and countertops, then everything needs to go with those. Give us more information.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Here are a couple of visualizations with the flooring you picked.

I think it is nice flooring and will work well with your counter/back splash and cabinets.

Once the flooring is in you can get better pictures and we can help pick the right wall color.

Jen Bui thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • er612
    3 years ago

I really like the flooring that you chose with your cabinets. However, it is far from cool. Here is your choice along with a cooler alternative (Salo Gris Wood Plank Porcelain Tile)...

Jen Bui thanked er612
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Three years. ...........not a thing hung on the walls

Do yourself a huge favor. Get off the thread, find an interior designer ( local ) who can work with your budget. You need help losing fear,

Start with something other than a wood tile. Eighty percent of the suburbia has a dog. and a hardwood floor. An engineered hardwood can survive dogs nicely. It's a lot nicer underfoot, throughout your home. Paint isn't free, but its not so expensive you should be married to what is on the walls, either, unless you love it.

I think you are showing us move in pics. Take CURRENT pics, More of them, and more angles :

More rooms .........) I doubt you've been sitting on the floor, or sleeping on it.

Jen Bui thanked JAN MOYER
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

I would also consider Luxury Vinyl floors ...softer feel...not shiny or slippery when wet..comfortable to bare feet...and very easy and quick to install.......comes in many color options in the wood patterns..

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We wanted tile because it was cold. Lol. the dogs love tile too. It's hot here in TX. I looked at the luxury vinyl and that would've been my second choice. The move in photos...is pretty much what my house looks like lol. I haven't changed anything but added a TV, couch, and tv stand. Our house is bare because I'm indecisive. And yes 3 years and not a single photo up (shame on me) but i plan on changing all that now that I have time. I like to start with foundation before adding everything and I knew I never enjoyed the colors and was going to change the floors. So i didn't want to buy things and then have to change again. Our bedrooms look better than the living area with a few photos on nightstands and whatnot.

The front dining room, front foyer, formal living room all have carpet and will be changed along with the kitchen and living room you see. We are going to upgrade the carpet in the bedrooms.

I'll try to get some new photos soon! I can't wait to get this going and make our home a home and not a bachelors pad lol

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Jen,

I bought my home with the intention of renovating the entire home in 2 years. I got diagnosed with cancer, fractured 4 vertebra and then had a heart attack. Just had a hernia repaired last week. I have 2 rooms completed and celebrate the fact that I got that much done.

I also have been told to just hire someone to do the work. Nice idea, but I spent money on surgeries and medical care that was budgeted for home renovations. . .

I do wish that I had more done, but I have to accept that life got in the way.

My daughter's renovation is also going much slower than she anticipated. She bought her home, got pregnant. Her baby is 18 months old and she is pregnant again. They own a farm and have to care for the baby and the farm animals and hubby took on a weekend job to bring in some extra needed cash. Renovations have to take a second seat to other priorities.

To Jan's point - if it is just indecision that is holding up getting things accomplished, you may need some help with decision making. This can come through hiring someone to help you make decisions or by educating yourself on choices. The first is easy - the second option is more difficult and time consuming, but it will give you tools that you can use the rest of your life.

Jen Bui thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • housegal200
    3 years ago

I'm thirding the recommendation to hire an affordable interior designer to get you going. In a way, your house is brand new. Many of us recommend getting a pro when someone first buys a house. Get it right the first time: style, paint, colors, furnishings, art. By doing things piecemeal, you're going to wind up with a piecemeal result, one of the biggest Design Dilemmas. Why should you live three years in a half empty house because you can't decide? Make one decision: get a pro.

• er612
    3 years ago

I thought you meant visually cooler, not the physical temperature. lol. Tile will be great. Try a site like https://www.tilebar.com, which allows you to visualize different options. Here are some wood looks...

Jen Bui thanked er612
  • autumncolor
    3 years ago

No help with your questions, but wanted to say you have a beautiful home and sorry to hear about all you have been through with your health. That's a lot to go through.

Be sure to post updated progress photos. Looking forward to seeing the new floors throughout, wall color and new light fixtures.

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    3 years ago

3 years and no decorations was moslty my fault, but also because life and busy with balancing family and career. It is bare but we're happy because our house is always clean even with two dogs. We try not to have too much clutter. I think I found what I want my house to be similar too..

now to look for a floor that color. I think this whole time I was confusing between warm and cool tone, but overall I just want a bright more modern house.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Warm and Cool can be quite confusing because it can have multiple meanings.

In the strictest definition Red Orange and Yellow have the longest wavelengths and produce more heat, cool colors Green, blue and violet have shorter wavelenghths and produce less heat.

But a red object will reflect red wavelengths and absorb the other wavelengths.

A blue object will reflect blue wavelengths and absorb the other wavelengths.

The blue object will be warmer than the red object if they are both heated by shining a balanced light onto their surface.

Yellow or any other color can be described as cool or warm. A warm yellow is sliding toward orange and a cool yellow is sliding toward green when compared to a neutral yellow (right smack dab in the center).

To add more confusion - we don't decorate with the primary colors very often. We use neutrals.

If you add equal amounts of every color wavelength you get black gray or white - more light the surface reflects the whiter the color looks - with less light reflected it looks gray and no light reflected it looks black.

We seldom use pure white, pure gray or pure black. We use mixes.

The neutral families are

Beige/Brown (includes pink beige, yellow beige, gold beige, orange beige and green beige) (Browns are darker forms of beige.)

Greige (a color between green beige and green gray)

Gray (includes green gray, blue gray and violet gray) and

Taupe (a color between pink beige and violet gray).

Beige is considered warmer than gray, gray is cooler than beige and taupe and greige and taupe are in between, so taupe and greige are warmer than gray, but cooler than beige.

It is no wonder you are a bit confused?

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Your inspiration picture may actually be one of the toughest to pull off easily. It is that perfect balance between gray and beige. The reason this is difficult is because these colors are right between warm and cool and are often chameleons. A taupe may look gray in some lighting and when surrounded by certain colors, or it can appear more beige and sometimes can go pink or lilac. A greige can look gray in some lighting and when surrounded by certain colors or it can appear more beige. It can sometimes look muddy or yellow green, blue green or green.

Good news is that you can do this - you have actually been picking colors your whole life. Every morning you get dressed and pick things that work together. You pick makeup and hair color that goes with your skin tone and eye color and accessorize your outfits with a scarf, purse or jewelry.

So where to start on your journey.

1. Decide what is going to stay and what is going to be changed - few of us have the luxury of a budget that will let us change everything.

2. Look around your home and in your closet - what are your favorite colors? What colors make you feel like a 10? If beige makes your skin look green do you really want that color all around you? If gray makes you look pale and washed out do you want to sit on a gray couch in a gray room and have your hubby see washed out woman every time he looks at you?

Most of us feel joy when we are surrounded by colors that make us feel good about ourselves.

3. We most likely won't paint our walls jewel tones, even if the colors that make us feel like a 10 are jewel tones. Walls are at least 100 sf of solid color. A little color goes a long way. But if your favorite color is bright red, you may want a cream sofa and some red pillows and a throw. Darker burgundy red and you may want gray or taupe with the burgundy.

Start figuring out what colors you want and then blend those colors with the things that must stay and neutrals that work with those colors.

4. Know that lighting changes color. The daylight coming through your windows is different than the light that is coming from your fixtures. Daylight coming from the north is cooler than daylight coming from the south.

Light bulbs should match your goal with colors. Some will tell you that every home should have 4000k lighting. It is a nice, slightly yellow but mostly neutral light. It makes most colors look decent. I happen to love taupe and purples - 5000k lighting works better with my colors - whiter - some will say it is blue, but it really is a pure white light and 6000k is where things go blue. My sister has a fall pallet, lots of golds and orange reds and various shades of green. Her home really looks best in 2700 k lighting. Let your colors guide you to the correct color light.

4. Remember that you live in a home, not on the pages of a magazine with studio lighting that ensures every nook and cranny is perfectly lit. You may need to use more color if you have dark spaces in your home - whites and light neutrals can go gray and flat in those spaces.

Do some homework and let us know more about you and your color preferences and we can help you find a great balance.

• er612
    3 years ago

Your inspiration photo is very doable. Bring the photo to a local tile store for sample recommendations to bring home.

• er612
    3 years ago

This flooring looks similar to the one linked in your original post...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Another thing that adds a look of quality .... is upgrading the trims...wider more interesting baseboards ....door trims...crown moulding at the ceilings...this can come at the same time you are installing new baseboards for the new flooring...as it takes the same skill set and an qualifications...

• Korin Kelly
    3 years ago

Did you pick a flooring? I am considering the same one that you originally posted.

• Korin Kelly
    3 years ago

Although in person it is much different than the website depicts.

• Melissa Wilson
    3 years ago

I’m going to be using it in a small bathroom

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

those would work w/the wood. just keep in mind that it's a rather busy pattern. It will be a busy looking floor once it's all laid down.

do you only have those ceiling fan lights in the kitchen? I'd say call in an electrician and have some proper lighting installed. no fans directly in the kitchen!

almost looks like you could do a portable island.

or even a vintage type of table. find a marble remnant, or a butcher block. hang some pendants

french kitchen table

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In case anyone is wondering.. I ended up hitting the whole house and starting over. Lol it looks nothing like it use to

• Jen Call
    2 years ago

Did you go with the Austel brown tile?

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I redid my whole house lol and nothing looks like the photos now.

• Jen Call
    2 years ago

What flooring did you choose?

• Jen Bui
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is my kitchen now lol