What Are You Having For Your Main Meal Today?

Marilyn_Sue

My main meal has already happened, a combination of my noon meal and supper. I fixed Polish sausage with onions and peppers from my garden and a pasta sauce on top of a hot dog bun. My salad was cucumbers and onions from my garden. What was your main meal today?

Sue

SaveComment78Like
Comments (78)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

Hamburger Heaven drive thru: bacon cheese burger

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Judy Good

Dh is currently making White chicken chili. Serving with acorn squash and garlic bread.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
stacey_mb

Thai chicken coconut soup with rice noodles and brown rice.

moosemac

Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches with the leftover smoked beef and gravy made from the juices from Sunday's project.

schoolhouse_gwagain

Cooking my supper right now - smoked sausage, left over Mexican Rice ( I called it Spanish rice in the previous meal post), and pickled red beets.

morz8

Halibut. A friend dropped some off fresh yesterday and I didn't want to freeze it. We had it last night and I'll cook the other piece this evening. I think with green beans and corn bread. Last night we had it with roast cauliflower and white cheddar mac and cheese as that was the cheese I had on hand. It made for a mono-colored plate of food ;0)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Lars

Today we are having sushi and sashimi, and tomorrow we will be having grilled/smoked King salmon with grilled Brussels sprouts and rice or potatoes - I haven't decided yet. I'm going to cut the Brussels sprouts in half to grill them and toss them with olive oil and before grilling. I will then add either Cajun seasoning or just salt and pepper, but I want to try them with Cajun seasoning and maybe a bit of butter.

Rose Pekelnicky

We are having spaghetti with sausage. Today I made and canned a double batch of spaghetti sauce for my daughter's family. She doesn't like any of the sauces from the grocery store. She knows how to make and can it but she is working a lot due to the pandemic. One of the jars didn't seal and I have some cooked Italian sausage in the fridge, so that will be what my son and I have for supper. Just need to cook the pasta.

seagrass_gw

Morz8 - we had halibut last night, too! But we ate at an outdoor venue restaurant. It's been a long time since we've had halibut - not a fish we can catch. Perfectly seared topped with a tomato and whole olive compote. Lemon risotto and haricot verts. I forgot how much I like halibut.

chloebud

Just finished putting country style pork ribs together for tonight. Baked potatoes and coleslaw on the side.

Cherryfizz

I just ate 2 small pieces of bakery cheese bread toasted with a leg and wing from a rotisserie chicken, 6 cherry tomatoes from my friend's garden and a container of raspberries.

Kathsgrdn

I just picked up a Qdoba burrito.

colleenoz

Tonight I'm making lamb's liver and bacon. I discovered lamb's liver (I already loved chicken and duck livers) as a by product of not wanting to waste the whole rest of the liver after cutting off three half-inch squares for a school biology project, and if I don't turn it into shoe leather like my mother tended to with beef liver, it's delicious!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Dinner is in the oven. Trying a new recipe. Buffalo chicken and potatoes casserole.

nicole___

Diced-breaded-pork-tenderloin topped green chili nachos and sour cream.

beesneeds

Tandoori chickpea and Hubbard squash risotto. Dinner tonight, and the wee bit left over will likely be breakfast :)

ci_lantro

Bacon & eggs. I've been working outside all day.

booberry85

Today it was homemade clam chowder. Tomorrow it's chicken chili.

cooper8828

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I'll find something green to go with it.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

A tuna melt. It was delicious.

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Grilled chicken, asparagus with parmesan, tri color quinoa with dried cranberries and toasted walnuts, Ghirardelli sea salt caramel chocolate for dessert.

OutsidePlaying

Grilled chicken, fresh asparagus with a bit of butter and lemon pepper, fresh sliced tomatoes from our garden.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Doctor day today so chili in the crockpot. A cool rainy day (thanks Hurricane Sally!) so it will sure taste good.

dallasannie

loose meat sandwhich with grass fed local beef, good quality cheese, farm raised peppers, and a wondefully fresh tomato salad with slivers of yellow squash l, also fresh from the farm and good olive oil.

dallasannie

why would anyone want to eat out. So many of us seem to have had such good dinners.

glenda_al

Spam on rye sandwich, today!

ci_lantro

Another day working outside but came inside long enough to put a pot roast to cook in the Nesco. I was lazy and just seared a chuck roast, added carrots, potatoes, onion, Montreal Seasoning & a can of beef broth. It was delicious; the chuck was tender & had a lot of flavor.

sheilajoyce_gw

We had orange chicken, green beans and potato salad.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Last night, had left over jazzed up ramen. Tonight planning on a chicken pot pie pasta or chicken and dumpling casserole. Can't make up my mind which one to make..

Marilyn_Sue

Later today for my lunch and supper, I will have some leftover beef stew my daughter gave me and some cucumber salad and tomatoes from my garden.

Sue

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Tonight is leftover Yamasetta. Tomorrow night is old-fashioned baked chicken and stuffing. I have bread & celery that need used up.

hallngarden

Tonight is simple. Chili is in crockpot. Cornbread is made, dessert will be ice cream with cherries on top.

beesneeds

Curried black bean, chicken, and pumpkin soup in the crockpot.

Sherry

Crap that he might eat, nothing I want.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Grilled fresh filet of salmon and roasted veggies - tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini.

seagrass_gw

We're having mussels cooked in a garlic, herb, fresh tomato white wine broth with sliced grilled French bread.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
rob333 (zone 7a)

Fried chicken, new potatoes, and green beans. Dessert was sour cherry cobbler.

Judy Good

Beef enchilada's tonight. With Spanish rice. Homemade ....... all of it. Well my verson.

Elmer J Fudd

seagrass, I love mussels. I can bring a few bottles of Sauvignon Blanc. What time should I be there?

bragu_DSM 5

cold watermelon and ... ho hos

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
satine100

I made chicken cutlets and baked sweet potato. I have a little cherry almond tart in the oven for dessert. Bought it at Aldi's and hope its good.

artemis_ma

My main meal was my breakfast today. (The bison ribeye plus two fried eggs I mentioned on the breakfast thread. )

booberry85

Today it was roasted cherry tomatoes over pasta, Italian sausage and a broccoli salad.

martinca_gw sunset zone 24

dallasannie, , What is “ loose meat” on a sandwich ? It was a warm weather picnic dinner on the patio here: potato salad, baked beans, corn on the Cobb and Breaded chicken filets

amylou321

Duncan the Punkin made his culinary debut. I was restless and made a pot roast with onions,potatoes and carrots. We will eat it later today for our main meal. Probably around noon. We keep odd schedules anyway, but they are odder here lately.

Yes. That clock says 2:08. That's AM. I figured I could get ahead.......

dallasannie

martinca, "loose meat" is ground meat that is not formed into a patty like a burger. Instead I brown it up in a skillet and only break the meat into smallish chunks. It gets a lot of browning because there is a lot of surface area to meet the hot skillet. I just use it in the same way as one would use a meat patty.

I always use local grass fed beef and all it needs is salt and I love black pepper. Not that I don't like garlic. It is just that this does not need any. The taste of the grass fed beef brings to my mind what beef used to taste like when I was much younger. I won't even buy beef from a regular grocery store anymore. I would rather not have meat than to have most of the grocery store fare. We enjoy many more meatless meals nowadays. Less quantity and more quality, that is the way I roll now!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Amylou, that looks good! I'm sure Duncan the Punkin made a delicious roast for you, even if you did drag him out of bed in the middle of the night! :-)

beesneeds

amylou, I have pumpkin envy :)

amylou321

Edie it was good:

Made better by the fact that I found some cute punkin bowls to serve it in!

Lucille

Amylou, awesome punkins and pot roast!!

Loose meat-For some reason, Anthony Weiner came to mind...

Dinner- salad, home made pizza, home made apple pie

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Old-fashioned standby tonight. Baked chicken leg/thigh quarters over stuffing with gravy. Some kind of veg.

Mega Bauti

Rice and beans.

dallasannie

Lucille, too funny Anthony Weiner! I agree that loose meat is not an appealing name for a sandwich but I did not make it up. It is a real thing, but my version is just ground meat chunked up and cooked in a skillet. It is a good way to take a package of ground meat that is frozen and render in a skillet. That way actually works pretty well in that you take a fork and pull apart the ground meat as it cooks in the hot skillet.

I find that in so many meat sauces that the ground meat is in such tiny little pieces that it almost disappears. If the meat is of a good quality, I want it to have a presence.

I really like it better than a burger patty. It gets so many wonderfully browned pieces with just enough soft and moist meat left in chunks to get a nice bit of each sensation.

ci_lantro

Love rice & bean! Red beans & rice, yum. A couple of weeks ago, I made a pot of pintos, mushed 'em up refritos style & mixed with rice. After those were gone, I made another pot! (Covid stay at home Mexican food withdrawal syndrome.)

Tonight is a chicken stew/ soup--bone in chicken thighs & drumsticks, carrots, onions, potatoes, cabbage, chkn broth, Montreal Steak seasoning. I like to add zucchini but didn't have any in the house for this batch. Debated about adding mushrooms but decided against.

John Liu

Kind of a weird “dinner” tonight, the call was for finger food. On only about an hour’s notice.

I took some spare ribs, pressure cooked 45 min in red miso and soy sauce, then browned in a wok while reducing the cooking liquid, finished by tossing in the not-quite-reduced-to-sauce-because-time-was-running-short liquid. I skipped the step where the pressure cooker meat cools, so the browning didn’t work as well as it could have, but the ribs were tasty.

I also took some chicken wings, steamed for 30 min to render fat, then dried off the pieces, coated in an made-up mix of mushroom powder, onion powder, and salt, roasted-and-broiled in my toaster oven, then tossed the wings in butter, red pepper flakes and salt. These turned out pretty blah, all the short cuts took their toll. Didn’t steam long enough, didn’t roast long enough.

Save    
Sherry

Use some Tony Chachere"s on the leftover wings.

beesneeds

Baked pork chops with apples and onions, with a side of Brussels sprouts seasoned with farmers dust :)

hallngarden

Black eye peas, salmon patties, coleslaw, cornbread. Vanilla ice cream with maraschino cherries .

schoolhouse_gwagain

For supper tonight, I made an open faced meatloaf sandwich: bread, a couple dollops of msh. potatoes on the slice of bread, then a piece of meatloaf, then gravy over all.

This used to be a favorite of mine on restaurant menus. Very filling and fattening. ha

amylou321

Had some guacamole flavored Takis dipped in guacamole.

I'm so decadent......

aok27502

DH filleted a red drum (fish) from the freezer, then grilled it. Coleslaw and jasmine rice on the side. Maybe a mini ice cream sandwich for dessert.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Having Instant Pot (IP) Pork Roast, IP Mustard Greens, and air fryer (AF) Tater Tots. I had never had Tater Tots until about 2 months ago and have fallen in love with them. Might do a foil packet of apple slices with caramel sauce in the AF, too.

seagrass_gw

We had a teriyaki beef and broccoli stir fry tonight with brown rice. We were both very happy with it.

John Liu

Another weird dinner. We had scallops and shrimp that had been meant for something else, that got cancelled, so we had to use them. SWMBO made a cream sauce, I sous vided the scallops then seared them. The shrimp were dredged in egg, mushroom/onion powder and panko, then deep fried.

That’s it.

Not really much of a dinner. I’m about to go scrounging for something else.

ci_lantro

Nashville hots for lunch & leftover pot roast for dinner.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Went to son's for grilled burgers & brats. Love spending time with the grands!

wildchild2x2

I felt like a sandwich this evening so I made a tuna melt on rye with swiss cheese.

Elmer J Fudd

John, when I prepare sea scallops (the unprocessed "dry" kind that don't leach water), I sear them. It takes just under 2 minutes per side to sear/brown and cook through. Why do you give them a sous-vide session?

wildchild2x2

I make loose meat simply seasoned with salt and pepper but it must have onions also. Fry the meat up, leave it chunky, drain if it's got much fat, add chopped onions and cook until slightly clarified but still a bit crisp. I like the onions to be basic yellow onions and I don't want them caramelized as I normally do with most fried onions.

Elmer J Fudd

If you cook the onions with the meat instead of afterwards, it will flavor the meat.

wildchild2x2

For loose meat most people like the onions less done. It's an exception to the general rule. You actually want the flavor be a bit separate from the meat. It's like burgers. Some like to cook the onion into the patty, some like them fried and some like them raw on top.

lily316

Pad thai

dallasannie

I like to cook up onions in the skillet where the meat browned up. I will brown up the meat first to make sure that the meat makes good contact with the hot skillet.

If I try to cook the onions along with the meat, the cuts of onion will get in the way of the meat having the most contact with the hot skillet.

With grass fed beef you get a very nice flavor going on in the residual oil left from cooking the meat. Cooking off the onions in that same skillet lets you pick up some of that intense flavor. I usually cook the onions until just a bit browned and not caramelized.

If not, raw sliced onions make a nice addition.

Both ways are good.

You can also take your bread and lay it in the skillet after all has been cooked and you can pick up even more of that flavor. I remember back when burgers were made on a grill, like in an old fashioned diner, the buns would go onto the grill where the meat was cooked. That was way back when beef could be more counted on to deliver a better flavor and quality.

Grocery store beef has fallen in quality over these years. This grass fed beef makes me realize how different it is. I remember when even one of those burgers that got brought out to your car by a carhop and hung on the side of the drivers side window tasted like real beef. Remember how those burgers would be wrapped in that paper and stabbed close with a pickle and a toothpick?

I remember one place in east Dallas that used to make the best burgers and you could get a cold mug of beer delivered to your car window along with your burger. Otherwise it was mug root beer.

Things change without our noticing. My remembrance of burgers past goes back 50 years ago. Change is often subtle and, as that expression goes, "we don't know what we had until it is gone"..

Now burgers out at diners and at fast food places are all made in a processing plant where they are manipulated with what ever and pressed into uniform rounds and frozen. They get run through some automated "grill" like a factory. Ugh! There is just no appeal in an ordinary diner burger anymore or any of the fast food places. Even the smaller eateries mostly don't make their own real beef patties anymore. The get stuff delivered from Sysco.

Elmer J Fudd

"For loose meat most people like the onions less done."

When cooked with the meat, it'll be less done but whatever, it flavors the meat. That was my comment and I do it that way for that reason. It's the same reason why you add salt and pepper to the cooking ground beef separately rather than waiting to add it to whatever the cooked beef is being added to, it flavors the beef.

"Loose meat" was a new term for me. I understand the explanation but I find it odd all the same, it's not one I'll use.

wildchild2x2

We were out running errands and DH wanted to stop and get ribs. Love this little hole in the wall that does American/Korean style BBQ. DH went in and got the larger portion meal so could take two ribs and a bit of their wonderful home made potato salad from his meal for mine

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Hubby wants left over beans for dinner. I am having sweet and sour chicken and veggies and fried rice.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I remember that loose meat burgers were sold at Roseanne's restaurant on the Roseanne show, the original. I don't know why I remember that because I maybe watched 2 or 3 shows.

sheilajoyce_gw

Pork chops, applesauce, snap pea pods, mashed potatoes

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Classic Eichler Updated for Today’s Needs
A designer helps a couple honor their midcentury home’s design while creating a kitchen that works for their lifestyle
Full Story
Furniture Today's Recliners Let You Kick Back in Style
Give your design a leg up with comfy recliners that look great, too
Full Story
The New Simplicity: Today's Style for Food and Home
By Brandi
Make yourself at home with a more relaxed style at the table — and in interior design
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Loudoun Interiors is not always about starting with a blank slate or purchasing everything new....it's also about... Read More