Have you read Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson and its sequels?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (29)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
Related Discussions
I'm running away and need good books. What are you reading?
Comments (53)Chris Bohjalian, who's been mentioned already, also had a book out of compilations from a column he wrote when he moved to Vermont. It's called "Idyll Banter," and I really enjoyed it. Right now, I'm reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society," which is a few years old. I'm enjoying it. "The Distant Hours" -- (fiction) about a letter posted in 1941 that reaches its destination in 1992 -- is one of the titles on my to-be-read list. "A Vintage Affair" I read a few books back. Really liked it. A mystery to go along with your cruise theme? Mary Higgins Clark's "Santa Cruise."...See MoreApril : Brings showers of books ,what are you reading ?
Comments (97)Am still reading "Bleak House' (C.Dickens) ... still enjoying it. There's just one problem -- the legal tie-ups in the story evade my comprehension. I know Jarndyce v. Jarndyce is *supposed to be* convoluted -- but even the small legal snarls in the story are tough going. . . .E.g. -- the problem between George the gym-owner and his creditor baffles me. Why is his good friend somehow tied into it? Finished "Unbroken" - Laura Hillenbrand, wrote the great "Seabisquit." It's about Louis Zamperini, a very great runner. The first chapters were really exciting. But then WWII takes over -- he's sent to the So. Pacific... lands up living on a life raft for many months-- almost dies. Is rescued and spends years under horrifying circumstances in Japanese prisoner of war camps. This book didn't take off for me after the first quarter because I kept waiting for him to perform some BIG HEROIC feat to escape, save prisoners... SOMETHING. But it's mostly about holding up under terrible, awful conditions for a very long time. While that is "grabbing" to read for awhile, it palls after a point because it's too repetitious. Another thing I didn't like were the last few chapters -- the "Bible-thumping" turn in his life; no mention at all of his sweet, long-suffering parents who were soooo proud of him -- why are they dropped from the book all of a sudden(?)... Most bothersome of all -- how can I believe that after some five years of heavy drinking, terrible nightmares, raging tantrums (against Jap. prison leader who beat him to a pulp over and over), etc., etc. - did he overcome ALL OF THESE IN ONE NIGHT -- simply by going to a tent-shaking evangelist meeting, when all the help, encouragement, psychiatric care didn't do it? I just don't believe it -- AT ALL! For light, non-fiction: "Journey to the South: A Calabrian Homecoming" Annie Hawes I just loved her first book -- "Extra Virgin" -- she and her sister leave England to do work in northern Italy grafting roses ... only to wind up buying a hillside shack (but a roomy, sturdy one!) above the Mediteranean Sea -- for less than US $3,000. [Sigh!] That shack today is worth far, far more than what she paid for it (early-90s). Anyway, this "Journey..." book is no where near as lively and fascinating as that first adventure ... But it's still fun, and has lots of goofy, or charming -- or both! -- kinds of characters....See MoreIt's May! What are you reading?
Comments (47)Ladyrose, I was very surprised that I liked Wild so much. I was expecting another Eat, Pray, Love and instead got something gritty, well-written, and -- since I do not camp or hike to a point that requires backpacks -- fascinating in its details. Given her history as well as the story of the hike itself,it was also a real page-turner. I was very pleasantly surprised. I've flown through two books by Meljean Brook, The Iron Duke and Heart of Steel, both steampunk romance/adventures and very enjoyable. She's a new-to-me-author so I'm hunting down everything in her "Iron Seas" series, and so far I've really liked everything I've read. Lemonhead, I'm almost half-way through Patricia Brent, Spinster and while I'm liking it well enough, I am having a hard time figuring out why the main character is being so difficult, but I suppose it would be an overly-simple a plot otherwise. Thank you for recommending it....See MoreBest Books Read in 2021
Comments (20)Goodness, this thread has already become one big, remarkable TBR list. I love it! And Skibby, it's nice to see your name pop up. Haven't heard from you in a while. Favorites I read this year are: Hidden Valley Road - Robert Kolker. A fascinating nonfiction book about a family with twelve children (ten sons, two daughters) and six of the sons were diagnosed with schizophrenia. An astonishing and sad tale. Several are still alive today. Eight Perfect Murders - Peter Swanson. A really good murder mystery about a man who owns a mystery book shop in Boston. In his blog on the store's website, he lists his eight favorite mystery novels. The police begin to notice that a serial murderer seems to be using the book seller's list as a guide. The Good Luck of Right Now - Matthew Quick. I loved this story of a nearly-40-year-old man who has tended to his mother's needs his entire life, and due to her death, is now faced with how to make a life for himself. Very heart-warming and humorous, though there is a character who drops the f-bomb rather constantly and that might put some readers off, but not me, not in this book. How Lucky - Will Leitch. This was unlike any other book I've read, in that the narrator (and main character) is a severely physically disabled young man. While the book is not about his disability, you do learn a lot about how a disabled person can manage life on their own rather well. This guy crazily gets involved in a big mess because he witnessed a serious crime and reported it to the police. The perpetrator of the crime is trying to figure out who ratted him out. A sort of comical thriller, if such a genre exists. I just noticed that my list contains only male authors. That surprises me. Okay, I'm editing this post to add a book written by a woman, because truly, most of the books I read are by women. The Reading List - Sara Nisha Adams. This is a novel about a reading list of eight book titles that we are all pretty familiar with. Someone has planted the list in multiple locations in London. The novel describes various people who found the list and decided to read the eight books. A charming story for book lovers....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
LIFEWhat You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
EVENTSSee the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘Tidying Up’ Author Marie Kondo Tells How to ‘Spark Joy’ at Home
A new book from the author of ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ delves deeper into her KonMari Method of decluttering and organizing
Full Story
LIFEWe Can Work It Out: Living (and Cleaning) Together
Run a household without fussing and fighting with these ideas for how to work together on household chores
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Leading-Role Movie Houses
Architecture and interior design steal the show in these 10 house-focused flicks
Full Story
LIFE6 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs
Snow and dark days dampening your spirits? These ideas will have you looking on the bright side
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: Life, Love and Purpose Down on the Farm
A Missouri native proves that you can go home again — and discover something entirely unexpected
Full Story
HOME TECHMeet the New Super Toilets
With features you never knew you needed, these toilets may make it hard to go back to standard commodes
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN20 Kitchen Must-Haves From Houzz Readers
We asked you to tell us your top kitchen amenities. See what popular kitchen features made the list
Full StorySponsored
yoyobon_gw