Have you read Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson and its sequels?

netla

I was going through the Persephone Books catalog and looking for something lighthearted to read to follow up Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day. Among the books I spotted was Miss Buncle's Book by DE Stevenson, which seems to be a lighthearted comedy (about a spinster who writes a novel based on the inhabitants of the small village where she lives). There are two sequels: Miss Buncle Married and the Two Mrs Abbotts. If you have read any of them (but especially the first), can you recommend them?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yoyobon_gw

Thanks for that idea Netla ! I just ordered a copy of the first Buncle book on Amazon and look forward to enjoying it.

Bon

Save    
vee_new

Netla, I haven't read any of them but see they are very popular on the Amazon site. I have tried to order the first one from the library . . . but they don't have any of the titles available. No surprise there!

Edited to add: I have just checked at the library website under 'Authors name' and they DO have a copy of D E Stevenson's Miss Bunkle's Book . . . but I'm not allowed to borrow it. Go figure . . . as you say in the US.

Instead, and after going through the Persephone list, I have ordered (again from the library) something by Sylvia Townsend-Warner and another by Mollie Panter-Downes.

Save    
annpanagain

I remember the name with a smile so probably read it with enjoyment many years ago. Not sure about having read the sequels.

Save    
rouan

I have read all three of them. The first one is my favorite but the other two are decent reads.

Save    
annpanagain

My library is able to get the first two books and I can buy the third from Book Depository if I can't source it locally. I recognised the title but don't recall if or when I read the first book. It will be good to read something amusing!

Save    
netla

Than you for the comments. Considering the responses, I think I will go and order at least the first, maybe all of them.

Save    
sheri_z6

I've read all three, and I agree with Rouan, the first is the best, but the other two are also quite nice. It's always nice to revisit book friends and find out what happened after. I enjoyed them all and I hope you do, too.

Save    
merryworld

I just finished the first one and really enjoyed it. Delightfully escapist!

Save    
annpanagain

Of course, I got the second book first! So I have been waiting for the first one to arrive to read in order. I am told it will be at my library branch next week.

As I notice that some RP'ers still don't have libraries open, I can hardly complain about the service we are getting. Possibly it was out on loan in a far-away library in our huge State! Our home postal service is being cut to twice a week to free up postal workers who are overwhelmed with parcel deliveries from i'net orders and it isn't even Christmas yet!

Save    
salonva

This is so funny- I just read it! I also had heard of it, and tried to get it in ebook form from my library. It seemed to not have the e version at all. I tried again and was able to get the first one which I just finished yesterday. It was terrific. I am pretty sure that about a year ago I did read something else by D E Stevenson ( a small book- hard copy). Someone on another site I frequent sent me the other 2 books in epub format which I can read on my chromebook. ( I prefer kindle for being able to read anywhere but honestly where am I going these days so chromebook works).

If anyone wants, if you message me I can try to email you the 3 Buncle books.

As an aside, it reminded me very much of the Mapp and Lucia books which I read probably 25 years ago and adored as well.

Edited to add, the book I read was The House of the Deer. It was cute, but nothing as good as the Buncle book. I notice it wa really at the end of her life.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I'm almost finished with Miss Buncles Book and must say I am thoroughly enjoying it. It was published in 1936 and I find the books from that time are so good.

One of my other favorites from that era is With Malice Toward Some by Margaret Halsey.

Also really liked I Lost My English Accent and Trousers Must Be Worn both by C.V.R. Thompson

I'd also add Down The Garden Path by Beverley Nichols.

Not sure if it was published in this era but another favorite is Great Mischief by Josephine Pinckney. An eerie, odd tale to be sure !

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Houzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
Life What You’re Reading This Summer — and Where
Check out Houzzers’ summer reading lists and get some ideas for your own!
Full Story
Events See the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story