SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leonarde83

How much carpet tread reveal, especially at the top?

RuthL
3 years ago

Greetings! This little dilemma is driving me nuts. We took out the wall to wall carpeting on our townhouse staircase and put in painted treads & risers. Photos below show the current stage. Disregard the trim as we're having that completely redone.

We're going for a contemporary look but my husband insists on carpet treads so we're are having them custom made. The landings will also get a carpet tread, hence the unpainted square you see in the middle.

How much reveal should we allow at the sides of the treads and landings? And what should we do with the top two treads that are shorter than the rest? Should we just make those two carpet treads go all the way to the sides with no reveal?

I layed down some painters tape to take a stab at measurements but can't tell whether it's too much space at the sides or if the space seems disproportional between the baluster side and the wall side. I've stared at it too long!

You'll notice in the photos there's carpeting in the hall at the top of the stairs. The new carpet treads will not be the same material as that hall carpeting but I'm not worried about that.

Here is a wide view.

Here's a view of the bottom run with painters tape that I put down as a trial carpet tread width. The stair trim at the right will be replaced with a 1/2" thick stringer.

View of the same lower run looking down.

View of top run with painters tape, looking up to second floor. The top two treads are shorter than the others. You can see where the hall carpeting ends at the top.

View of top run looking down from upstairs hall

Here's an inspiration photo (Not the carpet product we will have). The carpet treads here seem too wide to me. Is there a standard reveal for carpet treads or is that a personal taste thing?

Comments (38)