SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Accidentally left out salt in rye bread; what have you forgotten?

Lars
3 years ago

It seems I am getting a bit forgetful with some recipes - even ones that I've made many times. This week I forgot to add salt to my rye bread. I normally add salt with the last bit of flour, and so it is easy to forget. I really should have all the ingredients on the table before I start, but the table was cluttered, and I only cleared a minimal space for me to work. Anyway, now I have salt-free rye bread. When I tasted the heel after it had cooled, I did not notice at first that there was no salt. Perhaps the caraway seeds and onions made up for it a bit, but I did think it tasted a tiny bit sweet. I'm using it now to make sandwiches with salty ingredients (such as cheese, cold cuts, sauerkraut, etc), and so having no salt in the bread is no problem. I'm thinking now that I will reduce the amount of salt I add to rye bread, although I will try to keep my whole wheat recipes as they are.

Also this week when I was making grits, I forgot to add butter and sausage, but I added the sausage to the leftover grits, but I used olive oil instead of butter in the main batch.

What have you forgotten recently, and how did you deal with it?

Comments (27)