Accidentally left out salt in rye bread; what have you forgotten?

Lars

It seems I am getting a bit forgetful with some recipes - even ones that I've made many times. This week I forgot to add salt to my rye bread. I normally add salt with the last bit of flour, and so it is easy to forget. I really should have all the ingredients on the table before I start, but the table was cluttered, and I only cleared a minimal space for me to work. Anyway, now I have salt-free rye bread. When I tasted the heel after it had cooled, I did not notice at first that there was no salt. Perhaps the caraway seeds and onions made up for it a bit, but I did think it tasted a tiny bit sweet. I'm using it now to make sandwiches with salty ingredients (such as cheese, cold cuts, sauerkraut, etc), and so having no salt in the bread is no problem. I'm thinking now that I will reduce the amount of salt I add to rye bread, although I will try to keep my whole wheat recipes as they are.

Also this week when I was making grits, I forgot to add butter and sausage, but I added the sausage to the leftover grits, but I used olive oil instead of butter in the main batch.

What have you forgotten recently, and how did you deal with it?

SaveComment26Like1
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arkansas girl

I forgot the egg in a cookie recipe and the cookie was crispy instead of cake like as it normally is. We ate them anyway...they were OK but not great. I don't do that very often...pretty much never. I usually go over the recipe a couple times and make a mental note if I put in the ingredient or not.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

The bread I made tasted almost like cake. I normally do put all the ingredients out before starting a recipe, but I have a tiny work space here in Cathedral City. My kitchen in L.A. is more than twice as big.

Save    
plllog

I forgot the salt in bread last week, but I always nibble a little of what gets stuck on my fingers to assess the dough, and noticed immediately. I just kneaded the salt in, and it was fine. Unlike your rye, plain white bread need bread. Tuscan bread is pretty good even though it doesn't have salt (it's meant to be eaten with salty foods), but I think it starts with tastier flour. :)

My big forgets, however, are just remembering what I've planned to cook. I have a list. The other day, I went into the kitchen to make some fritters, and got distracted by starting a loaf of bread, making a cucumber salad that was on my list, washing some new containers, etc., and forgot to make the fritters until I was tired and on my way to have a rest. And I keep forgetting to make chicken stock.

Lars a folding workstation might really help you, if you could find a convenient place to stash it. :)

Save     Thanked by Lars
Olychick

Luckily, some salted butter spread on top can fix a lot of things.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
chloebud

I still remember forgetting the baking soda in pumpkin bars. The timer went off and I opened the oven to check, happy with

the familiar good smell. All I had was a sheet pan full of "foamy" batter. What a waste of good ingredients. 😡

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I do have a folding table, and I use it in the bar area for my sewing machines. It definitely does not fit in my tiny kitchen here. The good thing about my folding table is that it has multiple heights, and so I raise the table for cutting and lower it for sewing. It still won't help my work space - I just need to keep everything cleared at all times, including the table when we are not eating. Normally, I prefer to leave a bit of clutter, to be cleared later. I leave a lot of clutter on my sewing table so that I can access it easily. I actually have more room for sewing in the bar area than I do for cooking in the kitchen.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

If one is making Baking Powder Biscuits, how in the world does one forget to add the BAKING POWDER?!?!? Ai-ai-ai. How to make ammunition!!!

3 Likes Save    
lindac92

I have been daily making a double batch of bread since mid march. Today I couldn't remember if I put salt in one batch.....couldn't tell by tasting....no one I gave it to complained. I have forgotten yeast and today I egg washed and put sesame seeds on half the loaves and forgot on the others.
I have made a mix cake from a box of frosting mix and wondered why it didn't rise.
if you cook enough you are bound to goof up now and then.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Lars
plllog

So, this isn't exactly a forgot, but I was surprised to see two boxes in my farm delivery today. I hadn't ordered that much, though I have at other times. Then I lifted the chard off the top of the first box and found...more chard! And under that more chard! The packing list said 10! And sure enough it was ten bunches. Of huge chard. I thought I'd ordered 2. I don't know how that happened. OOPS.

Save    
Islay Corbel

😂😂😂

Save     Thanked by Lars
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

plllog, wish we lived close enough, I'd rake some off your hands. None of the farmers around here grow it, probably for the same reason I've given up, and if you can find any at the store it's always old and sad. I'd love to have a few bags in the freezer for winter soups.

Save     Thanked by Lars
agmss15

My most famous forget is halving a recipe for a cake and not halving the butter amount. I still remember opening the oven to see the cake floating in butter. I don’t think it was edible.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lars
party_music50

A little salt missing from bread is no big deal -- especially with the onion and caraway for flavoring. I've had no screw ups lately, but I still remember the time I forgot to add the evaporated milk to my T-day pumpkin pies. I wondered why the filling was so much thicker than usual. LOL!

chas045

Sorry about the salt Lars, but leaving out the yeast is worse. I caught it near the end of bread machine's first rise. I suspected that I could add it even after the kneading and a couple folks here confirmed that it should work. As I recall, I added the yeast to a scant amount of water to help mix it in. It did save the batch.

nekotish

" I normally add salt with the last bit of flour, and so it is easy to forget."

I've done that more often than I care to admit. It was usually because I was keeping the salt away from the yeast. Now though, I have seen recipes that combine flour yeast and salt all together. I never considered the unsalted bread to be inedible. If you use some salted butter on it or as Lars mentioned, eat it with salty ingredients, it's fine.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I will say that this is the first time I've left salt out of a bread recipe, but I have had close calls before. Once I added salt in the kneading process, and this turned out fine, as LindaC suggested.

I will also say that having too little salt is way better than having too much salt! I've been enjoying the bread with sandwiches made with ingredients that are normally too salty for me. I do put a significant amount of salt into the mustard that I make.

I wonder how much salt went into ancient breads.

Save    
donna_in_sask

I made Singapore Noodles last night and forgot to add shiitake mushrooms. Good for the son who hates mushrooms but bad for everyone else, lol.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I made another loaf of rye bread yesterday and forgot to follow my recipe carefully. It's a recipe that I made up myself, and so it should not have been difficult, but in my recipe, I call for 2 Tbsp of dried onion flakes, but I also say that I can substitute 1/4 cup of minced fresh onion and reduce the water by 2 Tbsp. Well this time I used fresh onion and forgot to reduce the water, and I perhaps added too much onion, but that is not a bad thing, although it did throw off the proportions of liquid to flours. Anyway, I ended up adding more than 1/2 cup extra flour to the recipe, which I think made it too large for my Pullman pan. That was okay because I forgot to put the lid on the pan for the second rise, and in one hour, the dough was way over the top, and so I had to bake it without the lid. It came out okay except the it has a very light and airy texture, and I wanted it to be a bit more dense.

I did remember the salt this time, but I forgot to reduce the salt, and I really should have because the Reuben sandwiches that I made today were way too salty. I blame the pastrami for this, but if I had left the salt out of the bread, the sandwiches would have been perfect. I think I will purposely leave it out next time and also pay attention to how much fresh onion I use. I liked the bread without the salt anyway.

Another thing I noticed was that I need to use a lot more flour here than in the desert in proportion to the liquid. I think the flour in the desert has less moisture in it and therefore requires more liquid. This is going to be a balancing act for me. Anyway, I find it easy to add salt to bread that has been baked but it's impossible to remove it after it is done. I used turkey pastrami, since Kevin won't eat beef pastrami, and this may have had some influence.

Save    
dallasannie

I have left out the salt in the bread dough too many times. Like you, I add the salt at a later point.

Now, what I do is to set the salt bucket right there on the counter beside the bowl and drape the measuring spoons over it.

I still did manage to leave the salt out of the biscuits last week.

I made some ad hoc banana bread the other day and completely forgot to add the one egg. It was still wonderful, but in a different way. I was just feeling my way through the mixing and making and just clean out forgot to get an egg out of the fridge.

Somedays I feel so scattered and torn up about the world that I find it difficult to function and focus.

Speaking of forgetting....I am finding myself leaving the burners on the stove or forgetting that I am cooking something. I have made a point that anytime I leave the kitchen, I turn off the burners. Sometimes the oven, too. But, more often just the stove top burners. If I am home alone and step away from the stove and maybe fall down the stairs or any of the other things that can happen, at least the house won't burn down. Of course, for a slow cook pot I can't stand in the kitchen all day. I carry my phone in my pocket and set the timer to remind myself to check on things.

Have been so distracted in these last couple of years with all the turmoil that I can hardly think straight sometimes.

lizbeth-gardener

I have been having a week of forgets! I made our usual oatmeal bread in the bread machine and when it was done it had collapsed. It took me a minute to realize that when I weighed the flour I just weighed for two cups instead of three.

I think I've just been on brain overload this week. One day I started running water in the sink and went off to do something else! Fortunately I have a low divide in my kitchen sink and it ran over and was draining on the other side. I just really need to practice being in the moment.

Save     Thanked by Lars
tcufrog

One year I mixed up the salt and sugar when I was making the cranberry relish for Thanksgiving.

Elizabeth

I have had this happen over the years. It seemed the phone always rang or DH came in and was talking to me and I went blank as to what I had added. Now I cook with a mise en place method. I put all the ingredients on the counter and after I use each one I move them to the right.

Save     Thanked by Lars
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I walk through a dinner plan in my head early in the day. Often go blank when prep starts. Mise en place. So agree. Especially during these times. I take one of my 1/4 sheet pans and pull out pantry items and crisper drawer veg, etc, even a couple hours ahead. (everything has been put away clean, dried and ready to go). Looking for the spices or blend and making more if out. Also well ahead of the meal prep so it eases the WTF moment when ready to get going.

Couple days ago, oops.

The same night I oven roasted a tray of spiced chickpeas. Turned off the oven when they were perfect but always take them out to cool. Stovetop full with dinner and above pot....both meant for next day lunch and chickpea snack. Let them cool down in the oven.

Chickpeas turned into jaw-breakers. Bummer, 🤪

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I will not give up no mater the evil destruction...little pot wedding gift 30 years ago. Round two. Soak. Bar keeps. Soak. Patience. Add some water and low and slow on the stove top. LeCruset baby pot. New life for grains.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I have one of those chain-mail pot scrubbers but haven't used it yet - I keep forgetting😵.

I almost always cook mise en place, providing I have enough place, but if I neglect to clear my work space ahead of time, I might omit this step. In Cathedral City, my kitchen is so small, and the pantry is so close to the table where I work that I sometimes just leave the door to the pantry open and just take what I need from there as I need it. I won't do that in the future, however, as it really does not save time. I think it is more efficient to have everything in one place first, and that way I can tell what I have used and what still needs to be added.

Save    
Elizabeth

I was cooking this way before I knew it had an actual name, I had an aunt when I was young who was a very good cook but so disorganized it was almost funny watching her rush around grabbing one ingredient at a time. I swear if she needed salt and pepper, she made two trips to the pantry. She just exhausted herself and I was determined not to run around the kitchen like a cuckoo bird.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contractor Tips Contractor Tips: 10 Remodel Surprises to Watch Out For
Know the potential setbacks before you start to save headaches and extra costs in the middle of a renovation
Full Story
Homes Around the World Household Habits and Customs to Borrow From Other Countries
Discover why salt may be the perfect house-warming gift, how to clean rugs in snow and why you should invest in a pair of ‘toilet slippers’
Full Story
Decluttering How to Conquer Kitchen Counter Clutter for Good
Figuring out what’s taking over your work surfaces is half the battle
Full Story