SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Baking.........

lucillle
3 years ago

Temps in the low 90s so not a lot of planned baking, but the two speckled bananas were sitting there. Currently the banana nut bread is just out of the oven wafting wonderful baked goodness smells, and the perfect accompaniment for a mid afternoon cup of mocha.

Are you baking anything?

Comments (34)

• Suzieque
    3 years ago

Darn. I love to bake. And I've got several favorites. But .... DH (the sweet-lover) is wanting to lose 15 pounds so not eating sweets. So - no, I'm not baking anything. And I have a wonderful brownie recipe (courtesy of my cousin) for brownies that I ate and could barely stay away from (and I'm not a sweet lover), and I can't make them! Sigh .... maybe in a few months.

lucillle thanked Suzieque
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

No, I really haven't been baking. Instead, I've been buying pound cakes from the bakery in Costco, freezing, having one available most of the time. Makes a good 'small bite' for DH with coffee in the morning and I can grab a piece for a few calories during the day. I'll bake when Fall rains have begun.

Although a SIL has been keeping us supplied with banana bread too. She makes banana bread a couple of times a week and has been ever since about February. She'll make several of the 4x2 rather than a couple of 9x5, then deliver, often still warm. She just told me this week she's been buying overripe bananas at a local produce market, said he keeps a basket of banana bread ready bananas in a basket available upon asking. I didn't know that!

lucillle thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Related Discussions

range/oven with delay bake and stop bake?

Q

Comments (2)
    Gaggenau has both features.
    ...See More

Decided to bake Glenda's spinach bake

Q

Comments (5)
    Hope it turns out fine. Spinach squares have another name, as well: Spinach Brownies :o) Honest! Shoulda told Alex they were brownies :o) Well, they are cut in squares like brownies. When PJR was younger, I would make creamed spinach and we called it GREEN STUFF! He loved it! Couple years ago, when I served it again, he said "grandmother, you can call it spinach now!"
    ...See More

baking powder.. baking soda ..?

Q

Comments (4)
    Baking soda requires an acid to rise, as well as moisture. Baking powder has its own acid. Double acting has two acidic components--one that is activated by liquid and the other which is activated by heat. Things that rise with just baking soda: Buttermilk biscuits or pancakes (buttermilk is acidic). Molasses cookies (or even cookies with brown sugar). Vinegar cake. Baking powder has cream of tartar (acidic) or other acidic chemical and baking soda, Double acting has two different acids one for each action, unless it has monocalcium phosphate which reacts immediately to the liquid, and is changed to a form which reacts to the heat (or something like that--Lindac's the chemist). Other double acting baking powders have an aluminum component, which some people don't care for. You can make your own baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar, especially if they're fairly fresh (sometimes that 20 year old can that some people have is discharged). That's one part soda to two parts CoT. If you really know your baking chemistry, you can use soda with other kitchen acid, but if you don't you can wreck your recipe.
    ...See More

Baking and more baking

Q

Comments (7)
    Mainly bread. I did make some nutty-oatmeal bars but they're lacking something, to me. I want something chewy like the packaged/processed ones. This called for maple syrup as the sweetener and glue, maybe honey or corn syrup would be better, I don't know. But yes, cold weather=oven. I made a meatloaf and pork tenderloin and roasted veggies on Sunday, all in the oven. The meatloaf was for Monday's dinner.
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

I'm going to try out Glenda's sour cream chocolate cake recipe -- tomorrow. Today is a "low calorie" day for DH and me. Recently I've also been making scones with King Arthur's "jammy bits" of various flavors. Might have to bake both since the oven will be hot.

Banana nut bread sounds wonderful :-) Walnuts or pecans or ??

lucillle thanked nickel_kg
  • Uptown Gal
    3 years ago

Not baking here...yet. But, it has been cold, rainy and dreary here and I

have been making soup. :) A piece of your banana bread would go good

today.

lucillle thanked Uptown Gal
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Walnuts or pecans

Walnuts.

And the recipe I used called for either yogurt or sour cream, I used sour cream.

A piece of your banana bread would go good

today.

In my experience, banana bread can be frozen, so one can make some and have it around when the situation calls for it. Unfortunately it also has a persistent little voice and will call out even in the farthest back area of the freezer.

• User
    3 years ago

Yes. Made Zucchini bread, Blue Banana bread, Madeira cake, a Victoria sponge in the last week.

lucillle thanked User
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Lucille, I have two very ripe bananas and intended to make banana bread today. Just didn't get to it. The recipe I like calls for 1/2 cup of sour cream and walnuts...so good.

The high temps and fires all over here have put a damper on my baking. The heat has finally come back to normal...high 80's where we are today. Looking forward to normal again...if that ever happens. :-/

lucillle thanked chloebud
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chloebud there will always be more bananas, right now your biggest job is just to cope- with Covid, with heat, with fires. That is a lot of stress.

Right now a normal day seems so tantalizing. It used to be that some would scoff at a quiet normal life, but to me it looks wonderful.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I've made cloud bread...a GF "bread" that's just eggs and cream cheese. You separate the eggs, whip the whites with cream of tartar...then fold it into the yolks beaten with cream cheese a little sugar and salt. Then scoop into large hamburger bun shapes and bake...they come out like fluffy eggy pancake things. I kind of like them as a good snack or for breakfast.

I also made my whole wheat biscuits which I just love.

lucillle thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • happy2b…gw
    3 years ago

Not exactly baking but I have made lots of fig freezer jam. I also baked a ricotta zucchini tomato pie and will make another tonight or tomorrow morning.

lucillle thanked happy2b…gw
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

Have to ask.... What is blue banana cake? Made with blue ribbon?

lucillle thanked Judy Good
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

I will be baking Banana Bread and Another round of zucchini bread per request. Also pasties and Dutch Pig in the blankets.

lucillle thanked Judy Good
  • glenda_al
    3 years ago

Not YET, but got a friendly reminder call, today, that October is coming up and so is the time for me to bake a business associate the usual pumpkin bread loaves.

Tickles me he finds a way to get a call in this time of year and including he's looking forward to the pumpkin bread.

How can I forget after 30 plus years, lol!

lucillle thanked glenda_al
  • ophoenix
    3 years ago

I have been recently been using sliced almonds in place of walnuts and pecans. Just toss in a handful - or more - no chopping and extra mess. Love the chewiness and flavor. I also use buttermilk in my recipe and substitute Greek nonfat yogurt mixed with a little milk. Try keeping the loaf on the counter - well wrapped - for 2 days or so before eating. You will have the most moist and easy to slice bread ever! I do this with all my quick breads - read it somewhere and if you can resist nibbling I am sure you will agree.

lucillle thanked ophoenix
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

No baking here, unless there is someone to "help" eat it besides DH and me. Last week I baked two pans of lemon slice, one for sisters-in-law and one for DS and family. My recipe is one that calls for quite a lot of lemon juice so is nice and tart, although some prefer a recipe with less tartness. DH and I visited a popular bakery yesterday and got individual pieces for takeout. I chose a pumpkin cake (three layers) with cinnamon cream cheese filling. It is delicious and fortunately I had the strength to eat only part and saved the rest for today!

lucillle thanked stacey_mb
  • jewels_ks
    3 years ago

I baked some blueberry muffins the other day and my dh has loved them. A coworker brought a zucchini cake to work the other day and it was delicious. She gave me the recipe and I just may make it.

lucillle thanked jewels_ks
  • OklaMoni
    3 years ago

I don't bake, while it is AC season. But, I bought a sun oven earlier this year, just for the reason, I could bake, without making the house warmer. I baked banana nut bread in it. Very yummy, moist. But for the sun oven I could have used a bit less buttermilk. Oh, and yes, I use sliced almonds in mine.

Also, I freeze my banana nut bread, all sliced, and a piece of wax paper between the slices, to be able to get a single slice easily. I take a piece with me, as a snack, when I go bike riding.

This morning it was really cold to me, in here. I did more than one not normal thing here.... I turned the the heat on. Two days ago, I used the AC, and today I turned the heat on, plus baked bread.

It's supposed to get back to "normal" which means, get back kinda hot.

Moni

lucillle thanked OklaMoni
  • lisa_fla
    3 years ago

I made 2 loaves of zucchini bread this week. I’ve been thinking about chocolate cake, after seeing the recipes posted , but haven’t made one yet. I also saw prune plums at Publix and bought a bag, so need to make plum-something. My Mom used to make a great plum pie! Maybe I can find a recipe.

lucillle thanked lisa_fla
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

For Fall baking these have been a favorite since my mom first made them long ago. This makes a lot but easy to halve the recipe. They also freeze nicely. They're really like moist cake. The shallow sheet pan makes them more like bars. I took this pic several years ago after making some close to Halloween.

Pumpkin Bars

2 cups sugar
    1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temp.
    2 cups canned pumpkin (one 15-oz. can)
    4 eggs, room temp.
    2 cups flour
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, ground cloves
    1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 15 X 10 1/2 X 1 pan. Sift flour, baking soda, spices, and salt together; set aside. Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add pumpkin and eggs; beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched or toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Note: If desired, the recipe can be very easily halved. A 9x13x1 sheet pan (quarter sheet) works perfectly. The baking time will be about the same...start checking at 20 minutes.

Icing (or use your favorite cream cheese icing):
    4 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
    1 stick butter, room temp.
    1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar

Beat together until smooth.

Note: If desired, the recipe can be very easily halved. A 9x13x1 sheet pan (quarter sheet) works perfectly. The baking time will be about the same...start checking at 20 minutes.

lucillle thanked chloebud
  • nicole___
    3 years ago

I baked brownies topped with chopped walnuts today. Yesterday I baked a chili rellenos casserole. It's freezing here. No problem turning the oven on ....now.

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

I made Pistachio Mocha Torte the other day. Only make it once a year for a friends birthday. A very special friend. We went to her house and another couple was there and we had Kentucky Fried and cake! Tasty!

lucillle thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Gluten free blueberry cornbread about a week ago and gluten free Oatmeal Cake yesterday.

lucillle thanked ci_lantro
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I made a chopped apple cake for the weekend........tasted appealingly fall-ish :-) I need to use up some blueberries so was thinking scones instead of my usual blueberry cornbread muffins.

Pumpkin bread and muffins are my fall favorites but I will hold off on them for a few weeks until it is really fall. And I've been considering a batch of sausage rolls because I've been craving them for months!

lucillle thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • caflowerluver
    3 years ago

The temps finally went from 111 to 62 so made some oatmeal raisin cookies. It is one of my favorites and been craving them.

lucillle thanked caflowerluver
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

I baked a big zucchini cake last weekend with cream cheese icing.

Sue

lucillle thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Baked the chocolate sour cream cake today -- excellent!

lucillle thanked nickel_kg
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

Peach pie came out of the oven about thirty minutes ago. Husband is waiting for it to cool off enough to eat.

lucillle thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Not baking, even though the weather has cooled, I'm not really craving anything - I will probably be making an apple pie soon, however.

I used to make "fresh apple cookies" in the fall for my daughter's lunchbox - they were tasty, but still lower in sugar and fat than a typical drop cookie.

All this talk of zucchini bread made me suddenly remember the wonderful tea breads from Lazarus Department store's cafe. Orange spinach and lemon carrot I think they were - I used to have the recipes but they somehow disappeared (and I can't imagine how, those were two recipes that I definitely wanted!). I loved to eat there if I were downtown for some reason - I was very fond of their chicken salad too!

lucillle thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • abbisgram
    3 years ago

I didn't bake it but my SIL made the best blackberry pie ever. She combined 2 recipes and said she should have used more cornstarch to thicken the filling. I loved it and I'm not that fond of blackberries or pies, it's something about the dough.

lucillle thanked abbisgram
  • Lars
    3 years ago

Once I got a supply of yeast, I have been baking bread instead of buying it. I have a good supply on hand of whole wheat flour and bread flour, but I am running low on rye flour, which I store in the freezer. It looks like I need to get more. I also bake pizzas, calzone, focaccia, etc but no sweets. I love to bake cakes, but only if I have a lot of people to share them with, which is not the case at the moment. I do bake apple cakes and apple pies when we have ripe apples on our tree, however, even if we have to eat them ourselves.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Yesterday's episode of The Splendid Table was all about baking - I heard some tips that I'd not heard before, but got an explanation of why my mother's pie recipes always start with baking at a high temp for 10-15 minutes, then turning it down to finish.

lucillle thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • georgysmom2
    3 years ago

I made Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies. I've read about them so many times so I decided to try them. Lots of 5 stars on the reviews...... DH liked them but I'm not a fan. I'm making pumpkin cranberry scones today.

lucillle thanked georgysmom2
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I made a peach blueberry GF cobbler. I had some canned 'fried peaches' (actually just peaches & cinnamon) that I wasn't crazy about so turned them into cobbler. Added some more cinnamon & a bit of nutmeg along with some fresh blueberries and it turned out pretty good. Would have been better with fresh peaches, of course. Satisfied my longing for something sweet, cleared a bit of shelf space in the pantry. The gluten free 'crust' (cakeish, actually) (new recipe) was easy & good so gained a keeper recipe on that score.