SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larissa_fuqua

Local Architects in northern New England: questions!

Larissa
3 years ago

I'm shopping for architects for a modest ~2000 sf "forever home" build breaking ground about 2-2.5 years out. Our budget will be $400-$500k including contingencies, not including land and we'll be doing a construction loan once we sell our home down here. Our land is in the Sunapee region of New Hampshire. We are 8 hours away outside DC and between COVID and being 8 months pregnant, travel north is not super feasible right now. We want to invest in an experienced and tasteful architect so that the home has site-specific design, functional flow, maximizes use of space/light and the almighty "good bones". Our favored aesthetic is sort of a cross between cozy cabin and Transitional farmhouse.
I've noticed a few things (listed below), but they may or may not be significant, but I'd love to hear some advice.

1. The architects whose style we like the most almost exclusively share enormous multi-million dollar vacation and retirement homes in their portfolios. obviously that's a hot market in NH and probably more fun for them too. Some have explicitly listed themselves as "high end". Is it even worth reaching out to them with our budget? Do firms typically have portfolios full of smaller projects at their office but not on their website?
  2. Locally, many licensed architects have crummy websites and/or very limited web presence (business pages and reviews on Houzz, Google, Yelp, etc). Am I being "too millennial" by being turned off by this? Interviewing remotely, I worry it will be incredibly limiting if their digital body of work is small.
  3. Not many listed independent outfits or even younger architects on the NHAIA. Kind of looks like the less experienced architects work for the high end firms (which makes sense to me) to gain experience and are probably barred from taking on independent projects.
  4. How far away should I be looking and how important is proximity? New England is pretty cozy, but I get the feeling architects rates outside Boston are going to be higher. I'm thinking southern Maine and Vermont might have more options.
  5. A good percentage of architects I've looked at simply work in styles that don't really suit us or their work feels dated/for a different generation/uninteresting. The architects that seem to keep up with the times wind up being the ones doing really high end work (sigh) with percentage based fees closer to 15%. (respect to them, I am sure they earn their fees!)

Pie in the sky, I'd hire Whitten Architects of Portland, ME but I get the feeling we just can't afford them and they can't afford our modest project. We love everything they do.

This phase of the project feels a little overwhelming to a tired quarantined pregnant lady so forgive me if I seem impertinent. I'm asking all the questions on houzz! Cheers!

Comments (6)