SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgect

A Window for us New Englanders?

georgect
9 years ago

I'm looking to replace two windows (in finished attic), most likely in the spring of 2015 and really love all the info. I'm reading about OKNA windows.

I'm trying to learn as much as possible about windows and didn't see coming of all the types, options, and Energy Star numbers...etc.
Now that I've acquainted myself with all the U-Value, SHGC, VT, AAMA Rating, Air Infiltration numbers (to name a few), it's hard to find a window for us New Englanders that need a higher SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) rating.

I'm thinking of going with the OKNA 500 (or 5500 depending on if I do a full frame replacement...I don't want to lose window area).
I want the MOST natural light as possible.

The Dual Glazed Clear Glass seems to be the best option with it's 0.60 SHGC and 0.63 VT (Visual Transmittance).

If I go with the window with the Energy Saving Package (Low-E), then my SHGC drops to 0.30 and my VT drops to 0.54, letting in less light and reducing FREE solar heat in the winter.

I don't use air conditioning in the summer so the heat gain in the summer would be pretty much the same (if not a little lower) than the 20 year old Weather Shield windows I'm using now.

All the info. I'm reading is for us in the Northern parts of the US, should use windows with a high(er) solar gain but there aren't any.

I just came across WASCO windows while writing this and they have a LoE 180 Glass by Cardinal and they say:

WASCO's standard Solar Gain glazing is tailored to Wisconsin's climate, where heating loads dominate our energy bill. This glass has a high solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC), which allows in passive solar heat, reducing annual energy costs in our heating-dominated climate. This free renewable energy more than offsets the tiny increase in heat loss over low SHGC glazing, and yields better overall energy performance. This package is standard on all WASCO windows.

EnergyStar (TM) has calculated that an increase in 0.05 in SHGC is worth a decrease in U-Factor of 0.01 Btu/ft2�F in our northern climate. WASCO's engineer has independently verified this tradeoff, and LoE 180 glass does even better!

Cardinal LoE 180 reduces radiative heat transfer out of your house, while allowing free solar energy into the house, reducing heating bills.

Two layers of double strength glass, 3mm (1/8") thick, along with SuperSpacer�, keep WASCO's windows extraordinarily quiet.

Now has anyone dealt with WASCO windows and are they as good as OKNA?

I want a low profile frame...the most amount of window and least amount of framing around it.

Could WASCO be the answer for those of us that want a high SHGC?
It seems they are more of a "local" company Southeastern Wisconsin but they have shipped to Vermont.

UGH! This is frustrating.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject? (no pun)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County