SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hgrogers15

Repose Gray cabinets - backsplash/wall color - help??!!

hgrogers15
3 years ago

Finally renovating my dark & dated kitchen (picture attached). Having cabinets painted, but did not want white (had white in kitchen in prior house - been there, done that). But I wanted something neutral & light that would not go out of style quickly, so am thinking of painting perimeter cabinets Repose Gray and island Dovetail gray. Slightly worried that gray kitchen trend is over, but Repose is IMO more of a very light greige (at least that's how it appears on samples in my kitchen - very warm, can look taupe-ish in some lighting). Counters will be Calacatta Laza. (Pics of current kitchen, cabinet paint colors, countertop below). Thus, if Gray went totally out of style, would only have to re-paint island.

Re the backsplash, I want to avoid white subway tile b/c its generic and everyone has it. As the Repose appears very light in samples ( see samples on cabinets below - I know it could look slightly different when actually applied to cabinets) I am considering using MSI Dove Gray tile (color below in arabesque (sp?) sample, but I would use a different tile in same color - either 2 x 6 mosaic or 4 x 12 subway). The Dove Gray tile (LOVE the color) really compliments the gray veins in my counters and the island paint color. But I am wondering if it will appear too dark/ too much gray with the Repose cabinets. I was hoping it would bring some contrast to what will otherwise be a very light kitchen color scheme. Or should I just go with another (non-subway) white tile for the backsplash? If so, I was thinking maybe a larger size picket? Looking for something with a contemporary look. Also, I am thinking that I will do a decorative tile above the range and in the small backsplash area of my coffee bar across the kitchen that could also pick up the darker greige color of the veins in counter and island.

Finally, what wall paint color could I use with Repose Gray cabinets? I would like to try to avoid white, b/c kitchen walls extend into a hallway and laundry room area where I would want a neutral color on the walls. This is especially tricky because the walls and the cabinet meet directly at one point next to my pantry (i.e. no recessing etc. - see pics below where my dog is!)

p.s. please ignore gaping hole in cabinets where new wall oven is being installed tomorrow.

Comment (1)