SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mocabunge

What’s My Style? European Cottage, Old Farmhouse?

Morgan B
3 years ago

Hello, all!

My husband and I are getting ready to build our “forever home.” Let me day that we are in the CERY preliminary stages (read: still finalizing on the land!) I’ve spent years casually collecting photos that captured design elements that I liked. Now that it’s time for us to begin designing our home, I feel a little overwhelmed. I love so many elements from so many eras, styles, etc. The theme that I’ve found throughout is that I love the old, lived in and timeless looks. (Examples and pictures below.)

My concern is two-fold: the first is that without the proper terminology, I feel lost. Trying to research styles and express my specific preferences is so difficult when I don’t know the lingo or the terms!

Secondly, I’m concerned that if I don’t work with the right architect/sub contractors, the end result is going to feel less authentic than I want and more of a modern, poorly executed replica.

I think it’s also important to note that I’m not necessarily looking to recreate a home from any specific era and that I realize that the photos I’m posting aren’t from the same style. Even so, my hope is to get some advice so that the home will feel cohesive and well blended. Of the few terms I’ve researched (old world European cottages, historic farmhouses, etc.) the thing that draws me to these different looks is their agelessness. At the end of the day, I’m looking to create a home with lasting beauty that will withstand the changing fads because it’s drawn design elements and structural inspiration from styles that have maintained their charm throughout the ages.

I suppose that my goal right now is to begin understanding my “style(s)” so that I can gain a better understating and begin learning the language. From there, I assume that I’d find an architect that is familiar with the period/styles and work from there. Of course all tips or ideas are welcome!

To get started, here’s a short (albeit slightly vague) list and a few photos:

• I love mixed woods, varying in hue from more natural colors to slightly darker
  • Natural materials (woods, stone, etc.)
  • Earthy hues and lots of texture (walls, floors, cabinetry, etc.)
  • Lost of natural light
  • Rooms that balance airiness/openness with warmth/coziness
  • Large fireplaces

Comments (18)