SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1912farmhouse

1912 farmhouse/working farm. Kitchen layout struggle.

Ripka
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This farmhouse has been passed from generation to generation with updates and strange additions along the way. Now we work to recreate what once was. We want to restore, not just remodel. Our family is that of 7 and the layout of kitchen/dining is poor. Most days are spent in the kitchen.

We want to achieve a flow between kitchen and dining, an entry that accommodates the shoes, boots and snow clothes for Minnesota winters. We like to entertain but the layout doesn’t allow us an organized way of doing it. The space is there, but the layout is awkward. We want to achieve a welcoming entrance into the home. Like most we gather in the kitchen. Life happens there.

That door is the main entrance. Tiny mud room. Door to the right is master bedroom/drop zone. Main floor includes 4 seperate rooms; kitchen, bedroom, living room, dining room. With an addition of a sunroom. Also a back porch laundry.

Walkway to the living room and bathroom And back porch/laundry.

Walkway to dining room. Feels very distant from kitchen.

Narrow walkway.

Here is a thought we had. Does that flow well? Note: I don’t really like the idea of having a bedroom in the middle of the house and putting a wall in.

This is what I have for dimensions with one way we we had drawn up with dining moved to bedroom, bedroom moved to living room, living room moved to dining room. There is full basement acess under all EXCEPT the 6’ entry/pantry/bedroom additions. Basement is not nice and used for freezers.

Balloon framed.

This is the main entrance. Faces west.

Kitchen sink is south facing. Will be replacing existing refrigerator and would like a 36” range. We have large gardens and preserve a lot. But I know that space is limited.

Let me know what other info you might need. Any ideas welcome.

Comments (3)