SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_18706959

Need paint advice on room refresh with rough cut pine wall

Kathy Coon
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This room is half of a garage makeover. It was converted in the 70's. Patio doors face east and one small window on south end where the wall has diagonal rough cut pine. It used to have a very solidly built bar which we took out. The east wall has wainscoating of the pine (diagonal). There were faux beams under acoustic tile. A drywaller is making a new ceiling for us. We have CoreTec LVT in Gate

House Oak ready to be installed. The room used to have a western feel to it with the bar, and also the sort of facade that separates the alcove from the rest of the room. I am lucky to get this far on changing the room. My husband likes wood and liked the theme. I like wood, too. Good news is we both like southwestern or desert colors.

I was going to whitewash the pine but am wondering if a cactus green color (so a whitewash look in the green) with sand color walls would look ok. Basically, I am thinking a red or clay color, desert browns, green of some kind and sand would be used in some combination among walls, sofa, rug, etc. What would you recommend for where to put these colors? The rest of our house has various colors--mostly Devine paint palette using terracotta, oat, feather, coyote, etc. This room isn't used much but will have a TV on a wall and open space for exercising. Up 'til now I have called it the cat condo. I can take and post pictures (I hope) tomorrow.

The first picture is a "before" picture showing the bar we took out. The next 2 are of one looking south toward the rough cut pine and the other is as if you turned around and looked north. The sliding glass doors face west.

I have seen many comments to not use wood -look plants on floor that butts up to natural wood but it is too late. I hope that some type of paint or stain on the pine will be ok. Maybe a certain kind of baseboard would help.

Comments (3)