SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Three things wrong with open floor plans . . .

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/3-reasons-open-floor-plans-aren-t-actually-all-that-great?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Just saw this article on "Apartment Therapy." I'm living now with all three in my first "open concept" home. I hated that I had a narrow hallway between my kitchen and living/dining rooms at my last house. Could not be changed due to the stairwell in the middle of the row house. As a single person, that was awful for entertaining because if I had to do anything at all in the kitchen, I would have to disappear for whatever time it took, and the longer it took the more my guest were left hanging on their own. When hubs and I started living together, that was one of the big pluses, he could do the kitchen stuff. Now I have to find ways to retreat to the back bedroom area of the house to get away from the TV noise which now in our house like most, is constant when hubs is around. I also seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen, and there is zero place to sit in there. I can never relax. I might feel differently if I had little kids, but in the house I grew up in, like most, there was a simple doorway between the kitchen and family or living rooms, and we all managed to survive. Moms could more or less see and hear us or at least check frequently enough. Half the time we were underfoot in the kitchen or watching cartoons in the family room. And the toddler years went by quick and after that we might have been riding our bikes halfway across town back in those days, not needing constant supervision . . . but Mom didn't have to worry about me texting with predators on the computer when I was in my room supposedly doing homework either.

And walls allow you to have cupboards and closets to store stuff easily.

Comments (6)