SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

And miles to go before we sleep ...

IdaClaire
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I mentioned in another thread that we were embarking on an outdoor project that we were both looking forward to. We are removing the sad-looking sod in our backyard in preparation for something different (I hate the idea of a "reveal", as though people are just sitting around waiting --that ain't happening-- but the final result will be detailed later). For now, I just want to say that anyone who attempts this on a large scale armed with rudimentary garden tools is insane. As small as our patch is, we figured a shovel, rake, and a few little hoe-type tools would fit the bill -- and actually they HAVE -- but this has been the hardest thing we've ever done. What you see in the photos below is the result of 6 hours of back-killing work. And we probably have another 4 hours to finish, but not today.
I have a whole new respect for folks who do these things for a living. They surely have better methods than we do, but it's still hard, hard labor. And I can't believe we were looking forward to this. It's awful. It's destroying in order to create, and that's very hard for me to embrace.

Comments (23)