SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_104094925

Locating recessed ceiling accent lights for built-in bookshelves

I have a built-in bookshelf project under way. My plan is to put four recessed, gimbal accent lights in the ceiling to put accent light onto each of the four bookshelves. Are there any rules of thumb for where to locate the lights on the ceiling? My initial thought was to center the lights in the narrow "hallway" space in front of the bookshelves. But then it occurred to me that the farther the lights were from the bookshelves, the more they would be able to cast light onto the lower shelves, and the less they'd produce shadows, though of course ceiling-mounted lights are going to produce huge shadows regardless. So my second thought was to move them to the edge of that "hallway" space to get a better angle, either on the imaginary line on the ceiling that defines the edge of that space or just inside that line. I'm aware there are other ways to light bookshelves, including with lighting hidden inside each shelf. I won't be doing that, so my question is about where to locate ceiling-mounted recessed accent lights. Thanks!

Comments (11)