SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gucaselo

Privacy vinyl fence (wall topper)

gucaselo
3 years ago

I will be building a freestanding Versa Lok block wall (3' high and probably 6-8" into the ground). I want to install 3' vinyl privacy fence on top of wall (in california they refer to it as wall topper). Initially I was planning on core drill a 1-2' hole into the wall to set the post and cement around it and use an aluminum insert inside for sturdiness or 2 rebar and cement it inside. That idea sounds simple enough but my concern is that I will be adding wind load to a wall that was supposed to support itself not necessarily adding another 3' fence on top.

My other option is to use a steel post and something call slip mount on top to center the pipe in the vinyl post for sturdiness. The tricky part is that instead of digging a hole and cement it around it I was going to use a Gas powered fence post driver to push it into the ground about 4' deep (basically by being deep enough in a solid soil it will create enough support for the pipe and post). I've read a lot of success stories using this method and seems like works great but I'm still hesitant due to my continues concern of adding any type of extra wind load to the wall.

Because I am building the all as well I am planning to leave the space for the post as I build it.

I need someone with similar experience to point me in the right direction based on experience building one.

This is the link for the slip mount system I am referring to:

http://www.eriecreek.com/installation.html

Comments (6)