SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marlina_beasley93

Questions regarding Porcelain Tile

M B
3 years ago

We are looking at replacing our porcelain tile with a wood look porcelain tile. The more we look the more questions I have.

1. I am wanting the smallest grout line possible. Most salesmen are telling us that 1/8" is standard and it it very hard to get a 1/16" grout line. I need help in understand the difference in the tile edge - true edge, rectified edge, beveled or slightly rolled edge. Which edge is best and enables an installer to obtain the smallest grout line. One salesman tells me the slightly curved/beveled edge will give you a better grout line and then another tells me the rectified edge. Then I encountered one manufacturer who called their edge a "True Edge". Is that the same as rectified?

We are considering wood look porcelain tile planks.

2. How can I tell by looking if a porcelain tile is glazed? I have some porcelain tile already installed in my home and I'm not sure if it is glazed or not. It has NO SHEEN at all, but I have been told that a glazed tile does not necessarily have a sheen. Some of the new tile we have been looking at is labeled as MATTE finish, however, some are dull and some have a slight sheen.

3. What specs should I be looking at to make sure we are getting a good quality tile. The install will be in kitchen, living area, dining area, hallways.

4. From a design standpoint, is the wood look plank a fading fad. We want to install something that is very traditional and timeless. We love the look of wood floors but want the ease of upkeep with tile.

Comments (17)