SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

Do you use FB Marketplace?

Tina Marie
3 years ago

Oh my. I never looked at Marketplace until a few months ago, just as the virus was starting. I found a beautiful print for our guest room, for a little of nothing.

Recently I bought 2 antique chairs for less than $100. FOR BOTH OF THEM. One has wood arms, legs and the back and seat are upholstered, seat has a little skirt. The carving on the wood parts is absolutely amazing. Downside is the fabric really does not work in our home, but for $50, it will still be a deal even having it reupholstered. Of course, I can not get out in fabric stores yet, but will order some samples on line. Second chair is an oak armchair with a caned seat. While plainer, it has some pretty carving and honestly, i think it would look good painted. I love antiques and do not paint something that is in good shape. HOWEVER, this wood needs cleaned up a bit (i think there are a couple of water spots) and since it's not something inherited, etc. I am toying with having it painted. I have a gal who has painted a couple of items for me in the past. One reason being that while we love vintage oak pieces, I do not care for the lighter, yellowish tinged oak. All our other oak pieces are a darker color. So, it will need to either be stained or painted. I'm a sucker for a caned seat and another steal at $35.00. I'm not sure where either chair will go yet, I'm going to have to play move the chairs around in the house LOL. I do have one armchair that I am wanting to get rid of, so I know for sure the upholstered/wood chair will stay. If worse comes to worse, my sister may want the wood cane chair or I can easily sell and get my money back.

I now usually look through Marketplace almost daily. Usually looking at Furniture and Antique categories although I have seen some great stuff in Outdoor/Garden and i found the print in Household. We picked up the two chairs yesterday and I was hesitant but we wore masks and the lady had both chairs sitting at the front of her garage and simply opened the door. So the worst was when I paid, but we were actually distanced and I had my sanitizer with me. It was really a treat meeting her as she conducts estate sales and then some items she sells from her home on consignment. So now I have a good contact for other items as she gave me her website. She had a very nice solid wood dining table that seats 6 along with a lighted china cabinet - for $400. More of a somewhat casual, farmhouse style but looked to be in great shape. We know two young couples who are getting married in the coming year and have already bought houses. I'm going to pass her info along to them. She looked to be several years older than me, so I'm guessing this might be a retirement venture??? But I think it would be quite fun!

Do you check your Marketplace? Some of the items sold amaze me (as do the descriptions LOL). I think, especially in the antique category, people do not know what they have, nor the value and many sell items at greatly reduced prices.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH